Santa Clara Vanguard...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

which version of the pose?

Looks like the side toast version, although the picture is taken from a bit of a side angle, not head on as in the picture in this thread. If you're looking at the back of the shirt, she's on the right and she's "toasting" the left side of the shirt. The tour schedule is then listed under her trumpet.

We actually didn't start the decrescendo until after the diagonal had centered on the 50 and we came forward 16 counts; on the CD the diagonal hits the 50 and we move forward just as the mellos and French horns carry the last of the melody, then the euphoniums (Keith Saunders, John C, et al) chime in and push the stands back a few rows, then the volume drops off. It was exhausting having to "rein it all back in" and not stick out, especially on the last note. :huh:

If anyone needs an explanation as to how playing softly creates demand, here 'tis.

We repeated the down/soft ending for Tenderland in '85 until we added The Red Pony later on in the season. I wasn't a huge fan of the loud reentry because (a) everyone else was doing them so we had to do it too, (b) the reentry drill wasn't all that complex (a major arc invert) plus it was like throwing in the faucet after the kitchen sink we'd tossed in earlier with the pants change and baton twirler in opener. Maybe if we had changed the pants AND pulled the tunic front off in the tunnel...

Yeah, I enjoyed the quiet endings more, because they had become such a Santa Clara signature. The frenetic ending was . . . well, what everyone else was doing.

You guys sure did change clothes a lot in that show! :blink:

If it's come into fruition, I believe they've used Charlie Frey's version from the Walnut, CA. show.

Toast shot at Walnut.

That's a great pic also. Just like your angle a bit more.

Maybe...she could start the pose to the side, and then bring it around to the front?

Now there's an idea. Then everyone is happy!! :blink:

Maybe...she could start the pose to the side, and then bring it around to the front?

And SCV, if there are any other parts of the 2009 show that I can micromanage for you, just let me know. :blink:

You know you're doing something right with your show when the biggest area of contention is the body angle the center trumpet player holds for 20 seconds or so!