Santa Clara Vanguard...

I understand the musical reason for ending the show this way, however, you are talking about drum corps and our audiences want the big exciting ending. It would be so much more exciting and dramatic to end on the big exciting note. If you have heard them live - you can hear and feel the confusion of the audience. They get so excited and then it just is a very very tepid level of applause and everyone is saying: "That was a weired way to end it - HUH?? Why did they do that?" It's just not the reaction you want to win over the audience and judges. I'm sure anyone who has seen it in person would agree with me.

Sorry, but I've seen the show live a bunch of times this year, and I disagree with you. most of the audiences are also fanatical after the soft ending.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention the early to mid-'80s, when they were doing "The Red Pony" and "Tender Land" as closers. Based on what I'm hearing about this year, this ending very much harks back to those years, as well. Which reminds me: 1984's "Tender Land" is one of my all-time favorite closers; incredibly moving, and very risky back then to do a "quiet" closer. Now I'm inspired to pop in my 1984 "Legacy" DVD and re-experience that.

Excellent! :satisfied:

:tongue:

Not to mention the early to mid-'80s, when they were doing "The Red Pony" and "Tender Land" as closers. Based on what I'm hearing about this year, this ending very much harks back to those years, as well. Which reminds me: 1984's "Tender Land" is one of my all-time favorite closers; incredibly moving, and very risky back then to do a "quiet" closer. Now I'm inspired to pop in my 1984 "Legacy" DVD and re-experience that.

Amazing hornline, that 84 Vanguard... takes amazing one to tie Garfield and Blue Devils!!

I understand the musical reason for ending the show this way, however, you are talking about drum corps and our audiences want the big exciting ending. It would be so much more exciting and dramatic to end on the big exciting note. If you have heard them live - you can hear and feel the confusion of the audience. They get so excited and then it just is a very very tepid level of applause and everyone is saying: "That was a weired way to end it - HUH?? Why did they do that?" It's just not the reaction you want to win over the audience and judges. I'm sure anyone who has seen it in person would agree with me.

Drum corps audiences do like big, exciting endings, but we also love soft endings (when appropriate) and SCV is master of these. Can you imagine SCV 89 with a big ending? SCV 00 with a big ending? I absolutely can't. Same goes for this year's show.

Amazing hornline, that 84 Vanguard... takes amazing one to tie Garfield and Blue Devils!!

And I watched the '83 show . . . and guess what: How could I have forgotten? They played "Appalachian Spring" (including the "Simple Gifts" ending to close the show) . . . and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the ending they did that year is quite similar to what they're doing this year. Which, as others have pointed out, is very true to the original composition.

Edit: To correct my previous post, I believe Santa Clara closed with "The Red Pony" in '85, and that wasn't a soft ending. But '83 ("Simple Gifts") and '84 ("Tender Land") were. And, for the record, there was no shortage of crowd reaction to either of those closers.

Edited by byline

And I watched the '83 show . . . and guess what: How could I have forgotten? They played "Appalachian Spring" (including the "Simple Gifts" ending to close the show) . . . and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that the ending they did that year is quite similar to what they're doing this year. Which, as others have pointed out, is very true to the original composition.

It's pretty close. The only differences being, the ending in '83 the horns played along with the pit and the last formation was to the front for the most part.

I haven't seen the new ending though so who knows what they're doing now.

Edited by skajerk

The Vanguard organization is very solid and has terrific community outreach/educational programs.

However, the decision by SCV board sometimes puzzles me... such as the dismissal of Koester (the tour director) after the brought vanguard's championship title in 1999.

It is my hope that the design team would be together at least for another seasons. Andre is also doing an amazing job with brass this year.

This was a lot of different BOD and staff members ago. Way different now.

has anyone seen the new ending?!?!?

The hornline forms into a waving L shape form playing and marching backfield with the cymbal line marching through the form front field. The guard starts to circle "Martha" with the cymbal line entering the circle and lifting up Martha on the final note. At least that's how I remember it. Crowd loved it!