STUPID RING QUESTION

We didn't work our butts off to get a "ring" BITD because a ring wasn't to be had then. Only the honor we left on the field was important. We did however, work our butts off BITD because we wanted to WIN! Sometimes we did, sometimes we didn't. And no matter what anyone says, that was the point to marching and sweating and bleeding and crying and laughing and hugging our friends. Hope that doesn't offend too many, but that was the way it was and I suspect what it still is today or else there wouldn't be scores and placements and disappointments and crying and laughing and hugging our friends.

With that said, I paid beaucoup bucks for my DCI rings from '73 and '74 which were created a couple of years ago for us Oldies but Moldies. We earned them and I'm proud of them.

Rings001-2.jpg

Good for you, Maggie. As I said, to each his own. You wanted them, you earned them, and I hope you enjoy them tremendously! Loved those SCV corps!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone that believes this side of the argument agrees that DCI is about winning...the fans are as important as the performers, and getting a championship is more important than the journey.

I thought it was all about the kids...hmmm...

I believe that winning is PART of what DCI is about. If not why are we keeping score?

That doesn't translate into the championship being more important than the journey though. Not even close. Drum corps is about a lot of things, winning is one of them, but it isn't the most important thing by a long shot.

The people that won a ring will say that it's all about winning and the people that never won a ring will say that it's about the journey blah blah blah.

In your care it sounds more like the people who never won a ring will say that the people who won a ring only care about winning to make themselves feel morally superior to those that won.

I hate cops.

The people that won a ring will say that it's all about winning and the people that never won a ring will say that it's about the journey blah blah blah.

I have two rings, and I say it's about the journey.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Just for fun:

21ec7j5.jpg

What color stones do the Cavies get?

Edited by sydstranda

How many people who have DCI rings actually wear them around in their daily lives? I'd guess very few overall...but I could be wrong?

Actually, jackets, too...you see them around drum corps events, but not much else...

My daughter wears her ring and her jacket. She is very proud of them!

How many people who have DCI rings actually wear them around in their daily lives? I'd guess very few overall...but I could be wrong?

Actually, jackets, too...you see them around drum corps events, but not much else...

I wore my jacket everywhere until it no longer fit and 6 tenths of a point have prevented me from ever knowing about the ring. Being a drummer, I don't wear rings and it took me forever to be able to put up with a watch, because I hate anything on my fingers or wrists, but I'm pretty sure I could make an exception for a DCI Championship ring.

:satisfied:

I have two rings, and I say it's about the journey.

Peace,

CuriousMe

I agree. I am sure that wearing the ring(s) helps to keep that journey fresh in one's mind, though....and that's a GREAT thing! :satisfied:

Is there any corps that forbids members buying rings for themselves?

Also, this topic in general reminded me of the following from Demetri Martin:

"I used to compete in sports alot, but then I realized you can buy trophies. Now I'm good at everything." - Demetri Martin

I can't wear my jacket. It's the Bluecoats early 90s baby blue with satiny sheen. Sorta dorky looking anyway and when it's 90 degrees outside it just look outright stupid. The exception is that I have and would still wear it to finals if it's a cool evening (it still fits!).

I wish they would make a tasteful alumni jacket. Now that, I would wear casually.