Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year?

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year, with this show in its current form?

• Yes
    • No

Perhaps it's because Spartacus and Faust are so universally known, while The Red Violin's story remains a rather obscure source of storytelling. Spartacus utilized the entire corps for telling the story, and made so many clear statements during the show that THIS is supposed to be happening here, and THAT is supposed to be happening there. As far as I can tell in The Red Violin, any aspects of the storytelling is limited to the guard, and to a single character. While watching from up high, or even on a multicam webcast, it's hard to get a story.

The music is very bland and dull to me. It could be very authentic... I wouldn't dare argue with you on that front, as I am not very familiar with the source material. But I'm sure a corps could very "authentically" interpret music from Law & Order, and that'd be bland to.

I do agree that Spartacus was one-of-a-kind in that the story and theme was portrayed almost flawlessly (one of the reasons it's my favorite show ever)... so trying to compare anything to that is difficult.... I just ask that you view this year's show a few more times before passing final judgement. I really think the story is very clear involving the 3 characters (2 girls and a guy). Phantom seems to be trying to do many of the things they did last year (like entering the field "in character" to set a mood), just try to watch it again with an open mind.

Also, it's a shame you don't like Paganini Variations.... it's one of the more famous melodies in all of classical music. See if you can find any of the dozens of works (classical as well as jazz) that use it for its basis. Are you familiar with the person Paganini himself? He was supposedly one of the best violinists to ever play the instrument and this was one of his melodies he liked embellishing.

Just trying to give you (and anyone else) some things to provoke thought and interest in this year's Regiment show.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you never provided that information and only said "from high and multi cam views."

I've seen the show on multi cam via webcast. Both of the shows I have seen them at (Atlanta and Nightbeat) have been from in the stands near the top.

I do agree that Spartacus was one-of-a-kind in that the story and theme was portrayed almost flawlessly (one of the reasons it's my favorite show ever)... so trying to compare anything to that is difficult.... I just ask that you view this year's show a few more times before passing final judgement. I really think the story is very clear involving the 3 characters (2 girls and a guy). Phantom seems to be trying to do many of the things they did last year (like entering the field "in character" to set a mood), just try to watch it again with an open mind.

Also, it's a shame you don't like Paganini Variations.... it's one of the more famous melodies in all of classical music. See if you can find any of the dozens of works (classical as well as jazz) that use it for its basis. Are you familiar with the person Paganini himself? He was supposedly one of the best violinists to ever play the instrument and this was one of his melodies he liked embellishing.

Just trying to give you (and anyone else) some things to provoke thought and interest in this year's Regiment show.

Fair enough. I will definitely give it some more time to grow on me.

Also, I "got" the story on the first viewing, and just from knowing what the show was about, but it was by no means what I focused on when I watched the show. I focused on listening to that kickass music from the brass and percussion and watching the fluid drill that supported it. The theme, or story, ties it all together. In fact, one could not even be aware of the theme or know that it exists or pay any attention to it at all, and still enjoy the show just as much.

Well sure, it's easy to pull out the obvious examples and say that everyone agrees on what's entertaining. But the context was that judges should reward entertaining shows which would in turn create more entertaining shows. Beyond these obvious examples (you cited only 5 shows spanning 7 seasons), there is quite divergent opinions among "drum corps fans" about what's more entertaining than the other and what should therefore be sufficiently rewarded to produce more, similarly "entertaining" shows.

Sure, consensus opinion merges on some like those you mentioned, but opinion varies greatly on most others and is neither right nor wrong in doing so.

I don't want to speak for Hrothgar, but I think the judging system needs to be just slightly adjusted to award certain things that most drum corps fans find nearly universally entertaining. Such as:

1.A little more credit for reaching the maximum volume levels

2.A greater emphasis on music with good continuity

3.Go just slightly towards demand and away from cleanliness (to encourage designers to not design "easy")

4.A little less emphasis on theme and more on purely music, guard-work, and drill

There are others, I just can't think of them right now. I'm not talking big changes.... just a word here or there different on the sheets to maybe alter scores a little and make designers design just a little differently.

Edited by Tez

Also, I "got" the story on the first viewing, and just from knowing what the show was about, but it was by no means what I focused on when I watched the show. I focused on listening to that ######## music from the brass and percussion and watching the fluid drill that supported it. The theme, or story, ties it all together. In fact, one could not even be aware of the theme or know that it exists or pay any attention to it at all, and still enjoy the show just as much.

<impersonates Lance>

blah blah blah...you don't know what you're talking about...blah blah blah

Would I be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI Finals here in 2009?

Sure! Why not?

The question isn't whether I think it will happen or if it CAN happen. The question is would I be OK if they DID win.

I would and here is why:

If they somehow pull out all the stops and nail their show, and if the judges feel that have outperformed the other corps and have deservedly won the show, then I am fine with it. Why? Because they have earned it.

Phantom is not who I am pulling for, and I seriously doubt it could happen, but fair is fair. If they win, they win. I would be unhappy to see a corps deserve to win, and NOT WIN! Whether you like that corps, or show, or you don't is beside the point. If they deserve to win, they will!

I don't want to speak for Hrothgar, but I think the judging system needs to be just slightly adjusted to award certain things that most drum corps fans find nearly universally entertaining. Such as:

1.A little more credit for reaching the maximum volume levels

2.A greater emphasis on music with good continuity

3.Go just slightly towards demand and away from cleanliness (to encourage designers to not design "easy")

4.A little less emphasis on theme and more on purely music, guard-work, and drill

There are others, I just can't think of them right now. I'm not talking big changes.... just a work here or there different on the sheets to maybe alter scores a little and make designers design just a little different.

I love you.