Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year?

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year, with this show in its current form?

• Yes
    • No

except not everyone finds this show entertaining

I find that to be true of many of the "better" products on the field. Opinions are great. Mine frequently conflict with the judges, but most of the time, I'm good and don't care, because I don't follow the activity for scores or rankings. It's nice for the corps you like to be appreciated, but if I like a show and performance, then who cares what a bunch of judges think, ultimately? Doesn't lessen my enjoyment one bit. Doesn't add to it when they agree and the show/corps "wins." No matter what corps we are talking about (and I like plenty of corps...they're all special and important to the activity...we're lucky to have such a range of things to choose from, really). I liked watching Regiment win last year, but it's not my favorite show ever by the corps. It's great, but I have my favorites...some didn't do nearly as well, placement-wise.

But as far as Regiment goes...nice changes, but dirt aplenty. It's been a difficult year visually and in terms of the color guard. I'm hoping that they can square some of that away before finals.

What's the point of this thread again? Whether I'd be OK with them winning? What if it's not important to you, given the context of the corps, the changes, and the challenges of the summer? It's kind of a non-issue for me at this point.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that to be true of many of the "better" products on the field. Opinions are great. Mine frequently conflict with the judges, but most of the time, I'm good and don't care, because I don't follow the activity for scores or rankings. It's nice for the corps you like to be appreciated, but if I like a show and performance, then who cares what a bunch of judges think, ultimately? Doesn't lessen my enjoyment one bit. Doesn't add to it when they agree and the show/corps "wins." No matter what corps we are talking about (and I like plenty of corps...they're all special and important to the activity...we're lucky to have such a range of things to choose from, really). I liked watching Regiment win last year, but it's not my favorite show ever by the corps. It's great, but I have my favorites...some didn't do nearly as well, placement-wise.

But as far as Regiment goes...nice changes, but dirt aplenty. It's been a difficult year visually and in terms of the color guard. I'm hoping that they can square some of that away before finals.

What's the point of this thread again? Whether I'd be OK with them winning? What if it's not important to you, given the context of the corps, the changes, and the challenges of the summer? It's kind of a non-issue for me at this point.

oh please! this is a black and white issue...just like life. you either like it or hate it. there's no middle ground! :thumbup:

Yeah, the part at the end of the opener where the mellos reprise the Paganini theme slowly and hold out the high A for a good five seconds before the rest of the corps comes back in to finish it off is SO BAD. So bad that I gave them a standing O for that. And that smooth as cream jazz in the second movement is SO BAD as well. :thumbup:

Glad you like it. Unfortunately, they have a near-incomprehensible theme/design, and a visual package that is amateur hour. They have some nice musical moments, and another strong percussion section, but some nice moments don't equal a great show. This is a very poor show design, and just about everyone agrees.

oh please! this is a black and white issue...just like life. you either like it or hate it. there's no middle ground! :thumbup:

You're right. All comments cheerfully retracted. :sigh:

Glad you like it. Unfortunately, they have a near-incomprehensible theme/design, and a visual package that is amateur hour. They have some nice musical moments, and another strong percussion section, but some nice moments don't equal a great show. This is a very poor show design, and just about everyone agrees.

um...what's so hard to understand?

a down-on-his-luck street musician and wife are given a magical red violin. it transforms him into a virtuoso, he achieves fame, gets tempted into the power of fame, and falls for a woman. she just wants him for the violin, steals it, and takes off. his true love gets it back for him, but he forsakes it for her.

or we could label the musical movements as:

Opener - mysterious

I - virtuosity

II - festive

III - lament

IV - p/o, betrayal

V - joyous

It is like they are trying to redo Faust, but it comes across as sortof trivial and silly instead of dramatic and ######.

Have you ever heard a great French Horn section get really raspy sound in something like a Mahler Symphony.... I would say that the tones Phantom's mellos are getting at this part are pretty similar.

Believe it or not, I have, and I'd say there's a fine line between that and just sounding really crass and overdone. I'm sticking with saying that that moment is on the wrong side of the equation.

it's really not all that different from Faust...and everyone loved Faust. ;)

I loved Faust.

I like to listen to the Red Violin...

I can see how they're kinda similar, but I certainly don't believe they're "not that different".