Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year?

Poll  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be OK with Phantom Regiment winning DCI this year, with this show in its current form?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a fun show. I actually prefer it to the whole IZ IM SPAZTACUZCS LOL!!!11ONE!!1.

But this show isn't anywhere near championship level. They'll be lucky to beat the the Bluecoats and finish top 6.

I think it was foolish for anyone to expect them to repeat this year.

Awwwwwwwwwww. Lame. :thumbup:

Well I'm inclined to lean towards your opinion, I typically focus much more on the music side of DC than the visual. If they were all just doing stand still performances than Phantom would have a legit shot at 1st.

Just asking DCP if they would be OK with Phantom winning.

Soooooo, are you asking if DCP would be OK with Phantom winning then??

I think BD would be upset again if Phantom won... it's funny how some BD fans feel justified with how things are going with Phantom. In my opinion BD has a better chance of winning this year than they did last year. I think this year the quality of shows/music makes this one of the best years for DCI. I'll also stand by my first show predictions that the top 3 will be (in no particular order) BD, HNC, or Vanguard. I'll even stick by my prediction of Phantom being 7th.

Perhaps it's because Spartacus and Faust are so universally known, while The Red Violin's story remains a rather obscure source of storytelling. Spartacus utilized the entire corps for telling the story, and made so many clear statements during the show that THIS is supposed to be happening here, and THAT is supposed to be happening there. As far as I can tell in The Red Violin, any aspects of the storytelling are limited to the guard, and to a single character. While watching from up high, or even on a multicam webcast, it's hard to get a story.

I think you're more on with the second part of this post. While I was not all that versed on the Spartacus story, the presentation of the story line was so amazing because of how well tailored it was. I also don't know Red Violin, but it is less

effective because they just didn't pull it off at the same level. Even with historically inaccurate truths, Spartacus is a success because the corps did such a convincing job in its performance. This is not the case in '09.

I don't see how those changes would add more variety. On the contrary, they'd reduce variety by creating almost a format to which a corps' show would have to be designed in order to succeed. Granted, corps are already designing shows by referring to the criteria on the judging sheets, but I and most people who actually design and teach the shows (and a lot of fans, I think) would argue that the criteria as they are written are sufficiently broad to allow a lot of different possible interpretations. The problem you have isn't that the corps don't have criteria that encourages shows that you consider entertaining, it's that their staffs aren't choosing to take them in a direction you like. That's all fine and good, but frankly trying to design shows from the top of the rule-making body down is a recipe for disaster (see: junior corps pre-DCI and its wonderful variety of options for show design). Trends in design change over the course of time; if you want to make a difference, participate in the corps you like--march, buy souvies, cheer, whatever you want. I'd much rather see sufficiently broad judging sheets that allow different corps to have a chance to create their own trends and become new leaders in the activity, than see DCI trying to hand down show outlines from on high; you can't please everyone, and I daresay trying to initiate some kind of change in this manner will please no one.

Okay, maybe the points I was making make you think there would be less variety... I don't, but that's fine and your opinion....

My main point was that I do want more variety in shows... so if there is a way to adjust the judging sheets to allow for more variety, then I think DCI should consider that.

It's funny that the points you just made in your post directly contradict a very intelligent discussion I was having with someone else here on DCP about how the Blue Devils' show design this year was very much "to the sheets." I was actually arguing your side, saying that Wayne Downey is just trying to arrange differently than he used to.... but the other person thought it was definitely true that because of judging trends, Downey had to arrange in certain way nowadays.... not as musically, and with more of a visual approach.... Do you agree or disagree with that?

I'm sorry if you thought I just wanted some tweaks so shows would be more entertaining for me..... I think the more variety we have across the board the overall more entertainment value there will be in drum corps.

Oh sure I would be Ok with Jesus coming down to announce the scores. I'd be OK with all the Taliban surrendering and opening a chain of laser Tag stores, heck I would be OK if everyone who lost their job this year got an endless paycheck and a fluffy bunny. Yes, it would all be OK, not probable, but OTAY!

Just as a reminder, political discussion is against the community guidelines. We have enough drum corps related flame wars during the season, we sure don't' need any PoFlaWa on here in addition.