Quarterfinals on The Big Screen

Not even going to try and disagree with you on this point, because you're right. But I will say, that upon first viewing of their show, I'm incredibly disappointed. I can't recollect a single melody from their show (having watched it only an hour ago). I came away thinking that it was all impact and no substance. But whatever... just my opinion.

Hmm, I can't remember their music either and i just saw it. But i remember Crown, HNC, SCV and so on...

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There weren't that many people in the theater in Syracuse, NY. I don't know why but I remember 2yrs ago they had to open up another theater cause so many people were there!

Haha I did get many looks when Crown was on cause it was definitely a Cadet and Bluecoat crowd! My mom's a "back in the day" drum corps marcher(like when they were showing the old clips of the marching pit....that was her! lol).

I thought Crown did AWESOME tonight!!! I was so proud of them I actually started to cry a bit(sappy I know....just miss the boyfriend!). Haha but I was excited that there was a close up of him for a good amount of time before the show started!! :bluedevil:

The theater broadcast was horrible in Portland. The screen was too dark and the sound wasn't turned up enough. All the bass notes from the synthesizers (groan) were VERY evident.

As for the broadcasting itself, I thought the camera director had no clue what to focus on during a show. No one wants to see a lone colorguard person from the waist up during the show's climax. I mean seriously. Get someone who knows drum corps to direct. It was obvious the person calling the shots had absolutely no clue.

Most of the folks in our crowd had no idea when shows were over, whereas last year we were on our feet before the top three corps were done.

:bluedevil::thumbdown::thumbdown::bigsmile::tongue:

Saw the show in La Jolla while visiting relatives. Small crowd (but there were three theaters showing DCI within 5 mile radius, so ...). Group of HS color guard and band kids made up a majority of the crowd ( props to them, they were great .. appropriate, enthusiastic, a pleasure to be around).

Quality of the broadcast was excellent .. picture very clear and sound was great. A BIG improvement over last year!

In 50 years of going to Drum Corps shows, I can't remember a year I have enjoyed as much. So many talented, talented, talented corps! I'm loving it.

And congrats to my "home-team" from Concord! Way to go BD!

Ok...check this out...

My theater experience went like this:

I left work in a panic, hoping to catch Madison...drove like a madman to the Laguna theater (south of Sacramento, Ca.)

and to my surprise found 81 souls sitting in the theater waiting for the show to start...about 20 minutes after the scheduled

start time...not a good sign. So we waited about half an hour and I finally had enough (the lights were still up at 4:02pst).

So me and another gentleman approached the manager and he said "Not sure whats going on, our computer won't download

the entire signal...we have video but no audio". :bluedevil:

So I tell him that he has got to come in the theater and tell those folks (including the lady who was about to miss her

grandson march) what was going on. He came in and said that they did not know what the problem was, that they would

continue to try and fix it...and if we wanted to wait that was fine or we could get some rainchecks.

at this point, I was seriously bummed...so I had to make a decision...wait it out and hope the audio would kick in or

hop in my vehicle and drive up to Sacramento (during commute time) and see if I can get to the other theater in a decent

amount of time. I took my raincheck (plus he gave me two extra passes) and sped away. When I got to the other theater

I walked in and...BEAUTIFUL picture in HD and perfect audio! :bigsmile: Plus the other 40 or so patrons were so very

respectful by staying quiet during the performances and we all clapped after each performance (SCV got TWO applauses).

Which brings me to my rankings for tonight:

1. BD - perfection

2. SCV - I'm serious...I thought they were tremendous tonight.

3. Crown

4. Cavies

5. Cadets - Not sure whats going on with them, but there is something missing in this show.

6. Blue Coats

7. Phantom - BIG PROPS to PR for battling all season and performing like this in the quarters. Most improved over the past

few weeks (IMHO).

8. Boston - Keep pushing, no time to rest now...

ALL in all a great time. Well worth the $18 (that I had to pay at two theaters).

Looking forward to the Webcast tomorrow (O'dark thirty for the Open Class Semi's...and World Class tomorrow afternoon).

Cali.

Other than some syncing issues with sound and video, I was VERY impressed tonight.

I've only gotten a chance to see shows on the Fan Network, and seeing it in hi def REALLY changed my perspective for a lot of shows.

Picture and sound were just WORLD's better that I've seen at a cinecast before.

Oh, and I have to say that the saddest thing I've ever seen at a DCI competition is Spirit with a bass guitar on the field.

Don't know how it's legal, don't know why it's legal, but it don't belong on a drum corps field.

Dynamics. Their use of dynamics does nothing for me musically.

Last note of the ballad "A Boy Like That/I Have A Love" honestly should have more dynamics than it does.

I've always thought this...from day 1. But alas, they seem content to just hold that note out with no dynamics whatsoever.

I'm sure it works for some...but I'm always disappointed when I come across a moment that I'm supposed to get goosebumps and I just don't feel anything.

Edited by Stealthwolf