Cavaliers Marching Technique

Look... the Cavies are a GREAT drum corps, but their marching technique looks AWFUL, period. Their drill is fantastic, their show designs are amazing, but to claime Cavies move better than some of the other top tier corps is a joke. I don't care what the visual performance scores are, they do not move well.

This is not a dig on the Cavies, I completely respect what they do, but let's call a spade a spade.

Or just call your opinion what it is, your opinion.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense but that's stupid because it goes against the fundamental reason The Cavaliers march the way they do (where a midpoint snapshot of frontwards and backwards look the same).

I just get paid to help teach the technique man...the kids perform it at the best level they can...which is actually pretty high when they have a good show design.

Eh... bad straight leg back up looks like you're "bicylcing" anyway.

First of all don't talk bad about a performing group before you see or hear them. These kids perform their hearts out and learn the technique as best as possible. But hey, I bet you feel awesome about making fun of 14 to 18 year old kids who perform with all they have.

i've marched this technique and it's really good and SOOO much less strain on your knees. There are definitely flaws in it like everything else. I didn't read the whole thread but you really shouldn't knock it without knowing much about it. People always make comments about, ' i'm not teaching that bicycling crap, etc. etc." It's not bicycling at all really. It's a much more natural motion with the exception of having the foot straight up and down on the crossthrough, however, the toe never really leaves the ground until your bringing them up on the actual step. I can see where people who have marched, MYSELF INCLUDED choose not to teach it. It's a pain to clean and to make it look good, but if you have a strong group that can handle it, it is definitely worth it. I wouldn't even begin to try to teach it to my little group.

Jayzer: probably not in 2003 - we had one of the most physically taxing drills that year and technique suffered during long stretches of a show, but the Devs and Cadets had better foot tech than the Cavs.

Tez: First off, I'm not the one talking about horn angles or posture. I'm speaking purely to the lower body.

At this point, it appears we're splitting off into 2 camps, but agree on 1 thing: Some prefer a uniform LOOK person to person (BD does this well), some prefer a uniform EFFORT person to person (the Cavaliers do this well). The thing we agree on (or least notion I agree with) is that the judges give both styles their equal due, as long as the technique is performed consistently. I've moved off of my original position, that the Cavaliers march like poo, who would want to look like that, due to ouooga's post. One fact that can't be argued is that the Cavaliers' style that they used does NOT have uniformity in the same WAY that BD's Cadets, or even SCV does. So there's a preference to be had. I still think that the Cavs technique LOOKS sloppy. The judges seem to reward the uniformity in their approach to the technique.

Within the activity as a whole, there has been a move away from making this issue important. That's not to say that it doesn't get judged, but that the way a technique looks person to person is not a primary area of judgment. The technique as performed consistently by the members of the corps in relationship to the performer's ability to play is where the numbers lie. The Vis Perf judge also needs to look at the colorguard, and seeing as how 25-30% of people on the field are in the guard, that takes a major chunk of time away from looking at the feet we're talking about.

If you live in a older city you do. Lifting the toes and planting the heel is what keeps you tripping and dumping your groceries when walking down the sidewalk. :tongue:

The impetus for most walking actually comes from the center and hip rather than the knee and heel (the lower leg is often simply swinging from the hip until planted), so from that standpoint, you're correct re: "natural" and straight leg (though no one walks on his toes except for my brother in law, who looks pretty flippin goofy when he does it). But when you're talking about moving quickly, in such a way as to minimize bounce in the upper carriage, it makes no sense not to use the natural shock absorption of the knee. Both concepts embrace the natural technique, but one seems better suited to the demands of of the particular sport.

All this imho, of course.

We pretty much used the "hips" more in the technique we used so I'll agree with that point. And you brought up the point of "absorption" which was the basis for using our hips the way we did. But then again, I really never got our technique "down" (I was brought up marching bicycle technique) so what do I know? lol. If you are talking about marching backwards then yes, it would seem more natural doing "bicycle" or some version of it. I was pretty much refering to frontwards marching. I also agree on moving quickly. Much easier to have a nice bend. So we were pretty much arguing over nothing since we agree on both points it seems. Oh, and my little bother walks on his toes going forward and backwards. Odd. :bleah:

Jayzer: probably not in 2003 - we had one of the most physically taxing drills that year and technique suffered during long stretches of a show, but the Devs and Cadets had better foot tech than the Cavs.

Yeah, and it was reflected in the scores all three nights. FWIW, I believe SCV and the Cavs were attempting more drill-wise that year than BD and the Cadets. Spin Cycle was exceedingly difficult and I know Pathways was, too.

Within the activity as a whole, there has been a move away from making this issue important. That's not to say that it doesn't get judged, but that the way a technique looks person to person is not a primary area of judgment. The technique as performed consistently by the members of the corps in relationship to the performer's ability to play is where the numbers lie.

This reminds me of the picture yabetterbelieveit has in his (or her) signature. It's a picture of the Cadets in a block, and the entire line on the right edge of the block are stepping out. If you look close, the angles of the legs are somewhat inconsistent, but the feet are all planted in a line together. It's obvious why this happens, but what do you judge?

Hello DCP.

long time lurker...but i have to speak up on two points. First off I can't believe nobody has mentioned the drumline's (tenors specifically) duck-walk. Is it really worth it marching like that? I dont know any FMM-drummers to ask.

Secondly i think it is a testament to the level of our activity, the designers, and performers that we can even have this discussion. I would admittedly be in the straight leg camp, but when you talk to any "guy" about his visual style they get really into it and define the crap out of it....and i instantly realize why they don't teach it to H.S. kids. It seems a necessity of their uniform choices and visual design, the marriage of the two. And it does bear a resemblance their approach to a horn line dynamic spectrum. 1)Make sure everyone can smoothly get their giant white hat from dot to dot (play pretty first) and then 2)Stand up straight when you get into shape ( get louder on second tour). It's all in good fun though because people who are dropping the straight leg technique look just as rediculous.

Michael

long time lurker...but i have to speak up on two points. First off I can't believe nobody has mentioned the drumline's (tenors specifically) duck-walk. Is it really worth it marching like that? I dont know any FMM-drummers to ask.

I think that's just an issue with the carriers.