Cavaliers Marching Technique

There's really no place for ad hominem attacks, here. Jayzer and I can disagree in a civil way, and he even throws a positive nod my way. That, and 1 year marching SCV is worth the world to me, and I'm sure anyone who marched with the corps would agree.

while I don't agree with alto's opinions that was a really bs thing to say. But what do I know this is only my first year marching and it's DCA so it doesn't count right?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what we did when I was in high school. It was pretty normal for a lot of northern California bands.

I don't personally care which technique a group uses as long as it's uniform.

It's what I learned in high school here in Iowa. I love the technique.

I just find this hilarious in the fact that people want to debate the merit and quality of what they "perceive" to be the Cavalier marching technique, yet I'm not seeing any of these people say that they have actually marched with us and thus truly know what that technique really is. So, basically you can argue about something that you're not at all that knowledgeable about, but just what you can see from video angles shot from a good distance back or even worse yet... up high in the stands, and then critique what's good or not? That's funny. :bigsmile:

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm always greatful to see our name popping constantly popping up in forums all over the net for various things we do or don't do... but to paraphrase and add on to what Jayzer said... a spade can really only be defined as a spade with substantial evidence and information to back it up... otherwise you end up looking like you're talking out of your... *** :tongue:

I think at the end of the day, not only has the initial question of this thread has still not been answered (and unfortunately even though I've marched it, I still don't quite feel qualified to detail it to the level it deserves to be) but now people want to compare apples (cavaliers) to oranges (cadets) and to raspberries (scv) and to blueberries (BD).. and so on and so forth and say who's style works better over another's. In all honesty I'm glad that most corps do their own thing and something different than everyone else, what fun would it be if we all did it the same way? Ultimately as long as everyone in the corps is uniform then that's all that really matters for that caption's concern.

Edited by CloudFuel

Ok, first of all, for all you people responding to this thread who have absolutely no idea what the criteria for each caption here is a refresher.

A previous poster listed all of the Visual Performance scores over the years, Visual performance is judged solely on individual technique. There is absolutely nothing in that particular caption that judges anything more than that. The Visual Ensemble caption judges at the ensemble level, basically what you are doing and how well you are doing it. For those of you who think that there is more emphasis placed on how good you look from up top you are wrong. Both these captions have a total score of 20, are combined with the colorguard number and divided by 2 (if you have an 18 in performance, 17 in ensemble, and a 19 in colorguard you will have a visual score of 27). The judges are required to stay in their caption and the tapes they make each night is indicative of that.

Obviously their marching technique is not awful if they are coming in the top 3, on an individual level, every year.

Sorry, but that's not true. Visual performance is not based solely on individual technique. It also has a great deal to do with the color guard (flag timing, hang positions, toss technique, lower body definition, etc.) as well as space and form issues seen at the field level in smaller groups of people obviously then what is judged with visual ensemble. It covers the drum line marching technique/space/form control although they are never sampled enough in my opinion. Don't forget it covers upper body technique, horn move accuracy, recovery, etc. It's basically anything visual that can be judged at the field level. It also includes the range of vocabulary performed by all three sections (variety, challenges, etc.) dealing with body work, equipment work, step size, multiple responsibilities, the use of the triad, etc.).

Going the other way, people also forget that a large part of the Visual Ensemble caption deals with design (variety, unity, etc.) and I've heard many visual ensemble judges talk about individual marching technique from this caption because it can affect the overall performance.

Ask Marie Czapinski. She judged 2006 Finals by spending most of her time backfield, watching the corps from behind.

If you watch most visual judges, they tend to stay on the outsides or back of the field mostly to stay out of the way. It's easier. Some good ones will get right in the action, but there is less to dodge in the outside or back positions. If you're up front, you have to deal with less room because most hornlines typically get close to the pit and there multiple guard transitions typically to the front sideline.

I have spoken to Marie many times over the years as well as a multitude of other visual performance judges and I've never heard that you could judge technique better from looking at a corps from behind.

I just find this hilarious in the fact that people want to debate the merit and quality of what they "perceive" to be the Cavalier marching technique, yet I'm not seeing any of these people say that they have actually marched with us and thus truly know what that technique really is. So, basically you can argue about something that you're not at all that knowledgeable about, but just what you can see from video angles shot from a good distance back or even worse yet... up high in the stands, and then critique what's good or not? That's funny. :bigsmile:

Since when do you have to have marched a style to form an opinion of whether or not you like a given style? How is a perception derived from a seat in the stands not legitimate? Isn't that the point of everything that happens on the field - to project to the person sitting up in the stands? The only fault I see coming from some of the responses is the projection of what is clearly an opinion as a statement of fact - as if there is a right or wrong style.

And if you saw a guy walking quickly down the sidewalk, on his toes with his knees straight, that wouldn't seem funny to you?

God and or/nature gave us knees for a reason. To circumvent the natural function of the joint seems a little counterintuitive to me.

Agreed Mobrien!

So, I guess some folks think Kramer walking down the street in his tight jeans looks more natural than a Cavalier marching?

Although, they both are sporting some awesome pimp hats.

Give me a break.

Straight leg clinic

but now people want to compare apples (cavaliers) to oranges (cadets) and to raspberries (scv) and to blueberries (BD)..

I find your choice of fruits quite accurate. You nailed the color palate.

I'm hungry now...

If you watch most visual judges, they tend to stay on the outsides or back of the field mostly to stay out of the way. It's easier. Some good ones will get right in the action, but there is less to dodge in the outside or back positions. If you're up front, you have to deal with less room because most hornlines typically get close to the pit and there multiple guard transitions typically to the front sideline.

I have spoken to Marie many times over the years as well as a multitude of other visual performance judges and I've never heard that you could judge technique better from looking at a corps from behind.

I'd have to agree that the front sideline is not the best place to evaluate technique. It projects the picture the corps *wants* you to see and hides a cornucopia of problems (although you get nice look at upper body posture). IHMO watching from the side is much more revealing. Not sure what to say about the back -- never thought much about it. As for judges brave enough to get inside the drill...God Bless you! Great reads if they survive.