Domes and the CD recordings . . .

On the thread about the retractable roof for Lucas Oil, there's a post that talks about the dome in relation to sound, and how bad it sounds.

I remember the mid-season recordings I have from a few years ago from San Antonio that are so boomy you can hardly hear a thing except echo after the fact.

I really would like to avoid that on Finals CD's I've already preordered (and I know I can't be the only one).

Are we headed that way in Indy since the roof will most likely be closed the entire week?

I know some of the folks familiar with the DCI recording setup post on here occasionally . . .so, uh, guys . . .allay our fears here. :thumbup:

Wait about two months, and you'll be able to find out for yourself. Until then, I don't think anyone reading is really going to be able to help. I don't think BOA (oh excuse me, MFA) has even recorded Nationals for several years now, audio or visual, so there's nothing available from 2008's event. My guess is this is going to be a new experience for all involved.

I don't think BOA (oh excuse me, MFA) has even recorded Nationals for several years now, audio or visual, so there's nothing available from 2008's event. My guess is this is going to be a new experience for all involved.

That's odd... then will you please help me figure out how these 2008 BOA DVD's landed next to me?

Dome, no dome, roof, no roof, black curtains in the back and sides... no matter what, everything will be OK in the end. :thumbup:

Haha, actually, maybe you could tell me? I didn't see em for sale anywhere online. What do they sound like??

That's odd... then will you please help me figure out how these 2008 BOA DVD's landed next to me?

Dome, no dome, roof, no roof, black curtains in the back and sides... no matter what, everything will be OK in the end. :thumbup:

Yeah I mean, can you shed some light on how they sound? I mean the sound I think has to be the most important factor. I would hope DCI agreed with this.

Wait about two months, and you'll be able to find out for yourself. Until then, I don't think anyone reading is really going to be able to help. I don't think BOA (oh excuse me, MFA) has even recorded Nationals for several years now, audio or visual, so there's nothing available from 2008's event. My guess is this is going to be a new experience for all involved.

Doesn't Mr. Video handle the BOA recordings these days?

My wife was at BOA and she descibed the sound as abysmal at best. With all the echo in the dome there is really no defintion to the sound. These stadiums were not constructed for sound, but to hold people for football games. There is supposed to be a curtain, but I do not know what effect it will have. It definately will not be the quality of sound that we are used to at finals where they were always held outside. As I said in another post: if you are a "visual" person you will love the dome. If you are a "music" person then you may be sadly dissappointed. I hope that it isn't true, but I do not believe that there will be an improvement over Atlanta or San Antonio (both known for their "great" acoustics).

My wife was at BOA and she descibed the sound as abysmal at best. With all the echo in the dome there is really no defintion to the sound. These stadiums were not constructed for sound, but to hold people for football games. There is supposed to be a curtain, but I do not know what effect it will have. It definately will not be the quality of sound that we are used to at finals where they were always held outside. As I said in another post: if you are a "visual" person you will love the dome. If you are a "music" person then you may be sadly dissappointed. I hope that it isn't true, but I do not believe that there will be an improvement over Atlanta or San Antonio (both known for their "great" acoustics).

We had a thread about this on DCP after BOA, and one or two posters who were there posted that the curtain helped a lot; that person thought the sound was pretty good.

EDIT: mingusmonk reposted his review in post#24 of this thread, today:

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=127975

The sound quality will probably depend a lot on what level you are on, and how sensitive you are to reverb. No matter what, there will be some pleased fans and some unhappy ones, regarding the sound. All that's going to matter to you is how YOU feel about the sound, if you're there.

And really, at this point, there's not a whole heck of a lot anybody can do about it. What's done is done. DCI is committed to staying there for most of the next decade and a formal complaint campaign isn't going to accomplish much. All you can do is adjust your buying decisions for 2010.

Opening the roof or opening the windows in the end zone may not make much difference because the stadium itself is more closed in than an open stadium. Just wait and see what you think if you're there.

Edited by Peel Paint

The mics are placed in the front of the field, and at that level you can catch a good sound with not much reverb. It will have echo during the lighter points in the show. The curtains will definitely help to catch some reverb. The roof will not be open so don't rely on that. I wouldn't be worried about the sound quality too much, I've stood on the sidelines in San Antonio and Atlanta and most of the corps still sounded great.