Allowing Open Class DCI Corps in DCA

Sorry - haven't read the whole thread - I will probably repeat some stuff.

I think DCA may be the only viable possibility for corps that (a) want to restrict age for whatever reason, but (b) can't afford to tour. There's a whole lot of DCA shows with just 5 corps anyway - what would the harm be in adding 3-4 OC-type corps.

About the electronics and mics - don't allow them. It's DCA after all, and those smaller corps will probably be glad they are free of the expectation to use them or compete with one hand tied behind their back (JF) as in DCI.

if a corps wants to do DCA full time...as said earlier, take a year off, then join up.

problem is...that year off could be a killer

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BAC used a synth in 1985, got a 2 point penalty at every show

Nice....... like 68 BAC with the marching bells + penalty.

The Citations (OC) run DCA Mission drums show. Some OC corps could actually sponsor a DCA show and get to perform at it. The Citations are a good model of keeping costs down and limit travel.

I really like the idea of OC corps coming to DCA but we all know it would have to be on DCA terms. I would wave the 12 month rule if a OC corps decided in Dec. to go DCA. Heck, that 12 month rule needs an overhaul anyway as it dates back 20+ years. DCA is evolving anyway to a younger corps base. As they say in racin' "Run what ya Brung".

DCI is just sucking the life out of any OC and bottom feeder WC corps anyway so that it can have the 150 member Super Corps with all the performance gadgets and $$$$. It would make evolutionary and survival sense to switch to DCA. The only big problem I see is the Labor Day finals and schools.

5) Stay in OC and get some performance opportunities at DCA shows...and get paid

win/win

Why are you arguing with me on this?

Yes, OC corps can do exhibitions with DCA while remaining in DCI and get paid. That's great!!!

All I was saying was in response to part of the conversation that premised that DCI OC's days were numbered, so how could DCA benefit. Then the rule was brought up about having to sit out a year. I asked why that rule was there and it's because DCA doesn't want a BD or Cadets jumping over to dominate at DCA finals. Okay. I get that. So then I said, maybe DCA should adjust that rule somehow to help encourage give DCI OC corps an ADDITIONAL option to help them transition if, in fact, their circuit is inadequate for their long-term viability.

I just don't understand why you are so against another option to help DCI OC corps, to help DCA grow, and to expose more DCA fans to more shows in more parts of the country. Exhibition of OC corps is one way to do this. My suggestion is another. What's wrong with that?

I just don't understand why you are so against another option to help DCI OC corps, to help DCA grow, and to expose more DCA fans to more shows in more parts of the country. Exhibition of OC corps is one way to do this. My suggestion is another. What's wrong with that?

Because DCA doesn't WANT to grow. Minicorps Maximum, Minicorps first 20 postmark limit, Class A minimum. In DCA eyes, a luncheon is more important than performance opportunities for drumcorps. Not to say right or wrong, just that it is what it is. Judged exhibition is a bit of a waste IMO. Unweighted so you have no ideal how you compare to other similar corps. Even if you bothered wasting your time listening to the tapes and adjusting your show based on comments, it wouldn't change your score. Even if you got to do more than one DCA judged show a year. DCA doesn't WANT to grow, it's why the rules are the way they are. Price of admission too high, benefit too low. Destiny predefined.

you have got to be kidding me... I can NOT believe that Shadow has stooped to lows so low his head is up his ............

I apologize to the DCP membership for having to read his crap...........

you have got to be kidding me... I can NOT believe that Shadow has stooped to lows so low his head is up his ............

I apologize to the DCP membership for having to read his crap...........

Lows?

Really?

I'm not even trying to reach lows yet. But if you want me to try, I'm sure I could come up with something. I just want something more for my EXPENSES and TIME. And that's apparently too much to ask. Pardon me for asking. As I reminence of the old days in marching band where I didn't have to form my own media company, judging circuit, sponsor a show just to get someone to write down a number and be remembered.

Because DCA doesn't WANT to grow.

There IS a limit to how much you can cram into a weekend, dude. This isn't like DCI where it's dedicated to a full week and that's all the members do that week. Sad as it may seem, a limit must be set re # of units. I still have an issue with the minicorps/class A gap, but that's not the same issue here.

I have my own ideas about including the OCs into a DCA show, but they're specific to the situation out here in some ways.

I just caught my index finger in the sliding door of my van (score now Quest 1, Sam 0), so it's a little difficult to type....I'll draft it later.

Yes, OC corps can do exhibitions with DCA while remaining in DCI and get paid. That's great!!!

But the question is, DO OC corps want to risk their potential to move up into world class in DCI? You walk in lockstep with the rule makers or you risk repercussions.

Ask Pioneer how well things worked for them in 2004 when they remained the only Div 1 corps to stay with DCM.

I've been proposing this for some years now. Just a Jr. Division, what used to be Div. II and Div. III. A whole lot to be worked out on a logistics end, but just think of the added show possibillities for all. I've always believed this could make D.C.A. a much healthier place to be. We could have combined shows, and we could have divisional shows. A lot less likelihood that you would have shows with just 3 or 4 Corps in them. Just my thoughts.

"CAKES" :tongue::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

It would be an ideal opportunity to resurrect the Garden State Circuit (my PERSONAL opinion only) as DCA's junior division. The location of Garden State Circuit corps in the heart of DCA east plus the weekend aspect of competition could spell the split between weekend drum corps (DCA/GSC) and DCI touring.

(Here's a sign from above: the only two drum and bugle corps contests ever hald at Passaic County Tech were the GSC season opener about 5 or 6 years ago and the Grand Prix in 2009.....combine the 2 into the new "Dream?")

Joe Dz