Can the Blue Devils break 99.15?

By my other post, I obviously think this logic is backward. but, that's just my opinion.

In theory I agree with you, and I did hear something about the top score being 105 this year (can anyone confirm? that sounds weird), but history seems to dictate the other way. When I look at 2002 and 2005, the caliber of everyone 2 and below really just feels like it's below the bar. Jazz: Music Made in America and My Kind of Town truly were the best those groups had to offer in those respective seasons, and personally I think both of those shows are pretty tricky to get all the way through.

On the flip side, take a look at 2000 and 2006, two of my favorite years. The top scores were 97.65 and 97.2 respectively, and those are years where the quality from top to bottom was incredibly impressive. I could have seen any of the shows in the top 5 winning those years.

From what I've learned, the lower the final score, the better the season, and 2009 feels like it's going to fall into the "better the season" category.

As always, just my $.02.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doubt it...I still don't think BD will win. It seems like they are stagnating just a little bit (look at the Bluecoats/BD spread in the 2 shows since Atlanta...it went from 5.45 to 5.25 to 4.7) and I believe that while they perform incredibly well, their show is just not a championship show. I agree with those who think Cadets or Crown will catch them, maybe Vanguard or Cavies but more likely Cadets or Crown.

I can confirm that the top score will NOT go above 100.

I agree and will go as far as to predict that the corps with the highest score will win.

IAnything's possible. The have no weakness. if everyone else steps up, the judges may have to put them up there just to keep them in front. I say this with absolutely no conspiracy theories in mind at all. I just mean, if the scores for SCV, Crown, Cadets, and Cavies all go up, then so will BD's. Assuming that the judges still think they are better, they could easily get perfect or near perfect scores in basically every caption.

If this happens, I will say that their record breaking score would be a product of not just their own strength but a product of the strength of their competion as well. A rising tide raises all ships.

Not necessarily. I think what brought the Cavaliers and Cadets' scores so high that year is they were dominant across all or nearly all captions. If you're ahead in multiple areas, even just by a tenth, that starts to add up. It's easier to accomplish a large spread when the competition is slightly down, and you need a spread like that to crack 99. BD's chances of getting a 99 rest on whether or not they can continue to win nearly every caption over the field.

The caption winner at finals is likely going to be scoring at or near the ceiling anyway. If any of the four strong shows below them makes a run and starts to grab a few captions, then that corps' score will only be able to go up at the expense of the Blue Devils' score. Thus BD needs a field weak enough to allow them to dominate all captions if they're going to break the record.

I can confirm that the top score will NOT go above 100.

Wait, honestly, I read in another thread that one of the things voted on was that the scores were now out of 105. It didn't sound real, and I cannot find that post anymore, but no one's actually told me that's it's not true yet. Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Not necessarily. I think what brought the Cavaliers and Cadets' scores so high that year is they were dominant across all or nearly all captions. If you're ahead in multiple areas, even just by a tenth, that starts to add up. It's easier to accomplish a large spread when the competition is slightly down, and you need a spread like that to crack 99. BD's chances of getting a 99 rest on whether or not they can continue to win nearly every caption over the field.

The caption winner at finals is likely going to be scoring at or near the ceiling anyway. If any of the four strong shows below them makes a run and starts to grab a few captions, then that corps' score will only be able to go up at the expense of the Blue Devils' score. Thus BD needs a field weak enough to allow them to dominate all captions if they're going to break the record.

What he said. Devils might have the show to break the record, don't know as I havn't seen it, but if the lower corps are so clean and exciting then the top score is going to have to be at or above the record mark.