The viper

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The seminal ballet of the 20th century is extraordinarily aggressive.

Why do they call this move the Viper?

If the show is a "ballet" then I'm glad the viper isn't in. Also, is the head-chopper visual not in, and all the other aggressive visuals? It makes sense.

I understand tradition. It's a cornerstone of the Vanguard. Yet, this year is all about innovation. That is the key.

I love, love, LOVE this years show but I would say it is MUCH more about tradition than innovation.

excuse my naivety...what the hell is the viper

Here's a cool pic of the Viper from 2007 (I think)

SCVCymbals2007.jpg

Here's a cool pic of the Viper from 2007 (I think)

SCVCymbals2007.jpg

Ahhh, so THAT'S what that move is called. I always think it's very cool when I see it. From what I remember, they usually do it at some cool ### impact point. My favorite is when they did it in 1997 in their Fog City Sketches show. Camara man kinda teased us with it by showing a little of it from the side and then going immediately to high cam view before the move was finished. But I remember seeing them do it live when I marched Surf.

Ahhh, so THAT'S what that move is called. I always think it's very cool when I see it. From what I remember, they usually do it at some cool ### impact point. My favorite is when they did it in 1997 in their Fog City Sketches show. Camara man kinda teased us with it by showing a little of it from the side and then going immediately to high cam view before the move was finished. But I remember seeing them do it live when I marched Surf.

Wow. I have seen every SCV show live since 1992 (and on video since the mid 80s), and I have NEVER SEEN THIS! I have never heard this discussed at a show. And I haven't seen it on DCP (though I'm sure it has been on here before).

Anybody else miss this?

Look
too (albeit, it's warmup). It happens around 1:58. It's a slightly different version than what you see in the pic as it utilizes 5 cymbal players.

Wait....that's the 2nd to last tune in the show....and they had it at the very end. When was the last time they put TWO Vipers in the same show?

The one you referenced can't be seen on the FN vid, since the focus is on the tenors or the hornline.

I'd love to see the Viper, the Yell, and the Cymbal V... just... not this year.

If the show is a "ballet" then I'm glad the viper isn't in. Also, is the head-chopper visual not in, and all the other aggressive visuals? It makes sense.

I understand tradition. It's a cornerstone of the Vanguard. Yet, this year is all about innovation. That is the key.

No sir, this show is all about tradition, but above all else, it is about beauty.

Edited by Paralda

I'd love to see the Viper, the Yell, and the Cymbal V... just... not this year.

No sir, this show is all about tradition, but above all else, it is about beauty.

Um, yeah, I think we're trying to say the same thing, but with a different end result. The tradition is there, just not all of them.