Crown Push 2009

Without taking out a stopwatch, I also think that Crown uses more than just 3 minutes of music that other corps have played in prior years, but . . . SO WHAT?

Most of the best -- and innovative -- shows in drum corps history have utilized music previously performed. Heck, when you sit down and look at it, you'll see that MOST of the DCI Champion corps regurgitated music that they or another corps used before. The only ones that did not, as far as I can tell:

Cavaliers 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006

BD 1996

Cadets 2000

That's it. Really. Surprised me, too.

"Innovation" in drum corps is a lot more than just playing something that has never before been performed on a field. Indeed, I would say that some of the most innovative shows ever were those that presented often-used music in new, exciting ways.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Without taking out a stopwatch, I also think that Crown uses more than just 3 minutes of music that other corps have played in prior years, but . . . SO WHAT?

Most of the best -- and innovative -- shows in drum corps history have utilized music previously performed. Heck, when you sit down and look at it, you'll see that MOST of the DCI Champion corps regurgitated music that they or another corps used before. The only ones that did not, as far as I can tell:

BD 1996

Cadets 2000

"Innovation" in drum corps is a lot more than just playing something that has never before been performed on a field. Indeed, I would say that some of the most innovative shows ever were those that presented often-used music in new, exciting ways.

Cadets '93 and '98 as well, plus a few others.

Acually, I am a fan of Crown too, but I have heard more about their drill being hard for them than their drill being easy. Infact many people are saying that their drill is TOO hard for them. The breaking formation thing is a good point, I'm surprised no one has said anything about that, but I haven't heard much talk of Crown's drill being easy.

I wasn't referring to Crown when I said "Easy drill...sound familiar", I meant that this year, it has been the common mantra of BD critics to claim "easy drill, no demand" to attempt to rationalize their domination all season. I spent a few days in Atlanta at their practice site viewing their practice, and it should be video taped as the model of building perfection on the field. The care that they take with "each beat" is unbelievable and their approach is so classy and inclusive it would inspire any leadership course. After you get to see what it takes to integrate movement with the chairs (both in them, on them and moving them) it's like having other characters on the field. Additionally, the demand critics need to try and stand on a chair and toss a rifle or sword and catch it (no room to adjust, like on the ground) it is what it is, and it's normally perfect! The complexity and demand of this show is off the charts, but just like last year, the BD gang just chuckles at the criticism....because they (and the judges) know the truth!

"They were on the edge of being irrelevant or being great..."

I wonder if this is a marker of an eventual sea-change in a corps maturation; Crown has yet to be on the verge of collapse, strife, hardship (beyond the expected trepidations of starting a new corps from scratch).

It wasn't that long ago that Crown was sitting outside of finals in 16th place. After consistently being an innovative top 12 corps for several years prior, I would call that strife and hardship.

BD 1996

Cadets 2000

great to see an Illini on DCP!!!

I wasn't referring to Crown when I said "Easy drill...sound familiar", I meant that this year, it has been the common mantra of BD critics to claim "easy drill, no demand" to attempt to rationalize their domination all season. I spent a few days in Atlanta at their practice site viewing their practice, and it should be video taped as the model of building perfection on the field. The care that they take with "each beat" is unbelievable and their approach is so classy and inclusive it would inspire any leadership course. After you get to see what it takes to integrate movement with the chairs (both in them, on them and moving them) it's like having other characters on the field. Additionally, the demand critics need to try and stand on a chair and toss a rifle or sword and catch it (no room to adjust, like on the ground) it is what it is, and it's normally perfect! The complexity and demand of this show is off the charts, but just like last year, the BD gang just chuckles at the criticism....because they (and the judges) know the truth!

"Accused of easy drill....sound familiar? Now that Crown does it, it seems to be OK!"

That's the part that I was talking about. It looked like you were saying that Crown was being accussed of easy drill. My bad for reading it and iterpreting it wrong.

St. Michael's Cathedral by Ottorino Respighi, selections from Il Sogno by Elvis Costello, and Slalom by Carter Pann, plus some original material, which comprise the bulk of their show (around 7:36 or two thirds of an 11:30 show). Like I said, most of the musical material in this show has never been played by a drum corps before.

I just about peed myself when I heard them play Slalom on the field cause I was so happy! It's one of my favorite wind ensemble pieces. Proud to have introduced that to the west coast with GPG! :thumbup:

To me, what BD brought to the table that was innovative was certainly the aforementioned drum book. Awesome demand, and truly interesting charts. A wonderful featured female mello soloist. (We'll see that again in the future, won't we?) And, to me, the first really disciplined and dedicated approach to truly excellent brass technique.

75 Madison? Well, I don't think they had any of the things that I mentioned for BD. (But hey, I still think Hawthorne won that show.)

Some of new and interesting things we started to see from BD's guard around this time (fully realized in the late 70's and early 80's) made them innovative at that time as well. This became the BD formula that has become so, so successful, but I do believe that much of this "program'" was innovative at this time.

I remember BD's drill in the 70's and early 80's being so spead out over the field, they seemed like the biggest corps out there. They were amazing to watch because of their unique sound and the fact that they were so clean from a drill standpoint. No one did wide open symetrical moves like BD. They were drill masters up until Garfield changed the activity. Another thing that remains true to this day is that BD has tremendous confidence. When they are out on the field they own it.

I seems Crown has really jumped a few points last weekend and they continue increasing their score at a faster rate than most of the corps around the projected 2-5 range.

Are they deserving of the accelerated rate of increase to their recent scores?

I can only watch them on Fan Network and the latest recordings had terrible sound, so I don't think I can judge fairly.

Their jump in score reminds me of Garfield's ascent to the top that began in 1982 and maybe 1981. Garfield's success in DCI really jumped in 1982 when they seemingly jumped several corps to finish third. Since then, they've won DCI nine times and have a very successful record.

I'm sure Crownies want the same success, but they need to develop their own identity before they'll get there. So far, they've enjoyed great success the past two years with music associated with other highly successful corps. I do think they had something special and unique with their Triple Crown show a few years ago.

Show me numbers... You can't compare the two after a couple of days of competition.

It wasn't that long ago that Crown was sitting outside of finals in 16th place. After consistently being an innovative top 12 corps for several years prior, I would call that strife and hardship.

ooooh, you're right. I forgot about those 2 years! So then maybe this is their rise to greatness in progress?!