Crown Push 2009

Crown is a lovely corps with a terrific horn line, but I haven't seen anything terribly innovative from them.

Karen

So is this why BD will probably win the title this year - Because they are so innovative?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this why BD will probably win the title this year - Because they are so innovative?

I think you're confusing comments. I don't recall anyone on this thread saying that innovation was the key to winning (Garfield didn't win in 82), and I certainly don't remember ANYONE saying BD is innovative...

Reading comprehension. Try it. It's what makes third graders so great.

I don't think this is what Karen and others are speaking of. BD executes a *relatively* simple show extremely well - better than any others at the moment. But it's hard to visualize BD advancing the activity light years like Cadets or Star in their day. BD is the master of what is right now; who will be the avant guard that will go way out on a limb and change the activity? Cadets? Crown? Some other we've yet to see? But I can't see BD being the innovator that introduces the future to the activity.

I don't think this is what Karen and others are speaking of. BD executes a *relatively* simple show extremely well - better than any others at the moment. But it's hard to visualize BD advancing the activity light years like Cadets or Star in their day. BD is the master of what is right now; who will be the avant guard that will go way out on a limb and change the activity? Cadets? Crown? Some other we've yet to see? But I can't see BD being the innovator that introduces the future to the activity.

Now 76 and 77 Blue Devils...

Amazing innovators. Absolute trendsetters. They sounded and looked like absolutely nobody else. They have found a formula since then that absolutely works for them and is, in some cases, very enjoyable. In almost all cases, it is expertly executed. And very, very successful. There is no reason at all for them to deviate from the program that works for them. And they've got the hardware to back that approach up!

Now 76 and 77 Blue Devils...

Amazing innovators. Absolute trendsetters. They sounded and looked like absolutely nobody else. They have found a formula since then that absolutely works for them and is, in some cases, very enjoyable. In almost all cases, it is expertly executed. And very, very successful. There is no reason at all for them to deviate from the program that works for them. And they've got the hardware to back that approach up!

I don't think '76 BD sounded or looked that much different than Madison '75. Other than "tubed" tenors (and a killer drum book! :thumbup: ) what was innovative about them in '76 or '77?

Yes, they have a formula that works for them and it's the same formula they've been using for 30 years!

I'm constantly reminding myself of the Cadets T-shirt: "When we zig, everyone zigs. Zag." That's an admission of constantly pushing the edge of avant guard. I've never seen that from BD. In fact the most dramatic change in BD books was Cool Blue when the jazz wasn't so hard-corp driving thoughout the entire show. But they lost and the following year went right back to their "formula".

Zag? :drool:

Fun fact: around 8 out of 11-and-a-half minutes of Crown's show contains music never, ever played by a drum corps before.

:thumbup: Excuse Me?? The Promise of Living was played by the Cadets in 1996. Sensemaya was played by the Cavaliers in 1994. Somewhere and Somewhere over the Rainbow have been played by numerous corps over the decades.

Therefore, I ask, what music hasn't been played before?!?!?

I greatly enjoy the show, but find this statement false.

I don't think '76 BD sounded or looked that much different than Madison '75. Other than "tubed" tenors (and a killer drum book! :thumbup: ) what was innovative about them in '76 or '77?

Yes, they have a formula that works for them and it's the same formula they've been using for 30 years!

I'm constantly reminding myself of the Cadets T-shirt: "When we zig, everyone zigs. Zag." That's an admission of constantly pushing the edge of avant guard. I've never seen that from BD. In fact the most dramatic change in BD books was Cool Blue when the jazz wasn't so hard-corp driving thoughout the entire show. But they lost and the following year went right back to their "formula".

Zag? :drool:

That didn't take long. lol.

:thumbup: Excuse Me?? The Promise of Living was played by the Cadets in 1996. Sensemaya was played by the Cavaliers in 1994. Somewhere and Somewhere over the Rainbow have been played by numerous corps over the decades.

Therefore, I ask, what music hasn't been played before?!?!?

It's not worth the effort.

That didn't take long. lol.

I know. This entire thread is one long backhanded compliment. We just can't stand it that there's a new kid on the block. IMO, '75 BD was the innovation, not '76.