Marketing Perspective

Edited by bmroth1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please keep in mind this is from a marketing perspective ONLY. Both corps are definately in the hunt for those positions so this is not a far fetched thing.

Look at 2002, you had first time Top 12 corps Seattle Cascades and Spirit returning after years in finals. Were they better than Blue Knights, Madison, Crown, Crossmen that year. According to those who wear the green shirts they were. From a marketing prerspective you had growth in DCI from the Northern West Coast, to the South, etc.

I'm not interested in marketing dictating who wins a DCI title or who comes in 12th.

I'm not interested in marketing dictating who wins a DCI title or who comes in 12th.

nor should it...all these kids put out too much effort for crap like that which is why it should be determined on the field.

Well would it really make much of a difference if Crown was crowned the champion this year? How much of a difference did it make this year since Phantom was crowned the champion last year?

From a marketing perspective, defined as things good for the activity that would generate new interest in DCI and sell tickets, which corps do you think DCI should crown as their 2009 Champion and which corps should make the Top 12?

DCI definitely needs to market itself better. I covered this ad nauseum, in the "Open Class corps should have a shot at SemiFinals" thread. In fact, that is the one aspect of this entity which needs the biggest improvement. I think they do a reasonable job at finance, enforcement, event staging, etc. Marketing is one area where DCI is sadly lagging, especially when you compare it to major league (and even minor-league) sports entities. There are single-A baseball leagues who do a better marketing job. I'm not exaggerating.

But you don't give someone a championship - or even a Finals apearance - on the basis of marketability. That would create a public perception that this organization is unfair - even fraudulent. Effectively, DCI would become little better than Pro Wrestling. In professional wrestling, the wrestlers "win" their contests based upon their marketability. If the contest were fixed, then this would undermine the marketability of the organization, not enhance it.

If the contests were rigged, and titles were given unfairly, then the conspiracy-theory freaks would be all over this board. They would be screaming for decades, how the contest was fake, and how corps X should have taken home the title, instead of the supposed winner. And if the contests were rigged, for marketing purposes, the conspiracy theorists would be right.

You never want conspiracy theory freaks to be right. You want them right where they are: wearing a bathrobe, in the basement of their mother's home, looking at frame-by-frame images of the Zagruder film.

==============================================================================

Even worse, what would it be like, to be a in corps that was a victim of this fix?

Imagine this: It is Saturday night of Finals. You are in your age-out year, and you've just given the performance of a lifetime, to a roaring ovation. To get to this point, you've busted your hump for the past 3 months, on every practice field in North America. You come out on the field for retreat, expecting to be handed your first-place medal.

But oh no - the judges have rigged the contest, for marketing purposes! They gave the contest to the "Podunkville Marching Space Cadets". (Not a real corps.) They marched and played terribly, but someone at DCI calculated that they could generate more ticket sales at the Podunkville show next June.

So sad for you! Boo hoo hoo! Now, instead of your first-place medal, here's a toaster oven. Have a nice bus trip home.

Well Spoken.

Marketing should focus on the benefits and the product, and on extending the customer base but not on fixing the outcome. So, my what if

1) What if the winning corp was featured at the superbowl, and the next 2 at the divisional football championships? or at least supplied music for it? I know, timing is very tough.

2) what if CBS, NBC, ABC carried the championship live? We are more like pay per view now.

Not sure either idea has any merit, but i think that we should focus along the lines of letting a lot more people know about drum corp, and the product likely will sell itself.

M

DCI definitely needs to market itself better. I covered this ad nauseum, in the "Open Class corps should have a shot at SemiFinals" thread. In fact, that is the one aspect of this entity which needs the biggest improvement. I think they do a reasonable job at finance, enforcement, event staging, etc. Marketing is one area where DCI is sadly lagging, especially when you compare it to major league (and even minor-league) sports entities. There are single-A baseball leagues who do a better marketing job. I'm not exaggerating.

But you don't give someone a championship - or even a Finals apearance - on the basis of marketability. That would create a public perception that this organization is unfair - even fraudulent. Effectively, DCI would become little better than Pro Wrestling. In professional wrestling, the wrestlers "win" their contests based upon their marketability. If the contest were fixed, then this would undermine the marketability of the organization, not enhance it.

If the contests were rigged, and titles were given unfairly, then the conspiracy-theory freaks would be all over this board. They would be screaming for decades, how the contest was fake, and how corps X should have taken home the title, instead of the supposed winner. And if the contests were rigged, for marketing purposes, the conspiracy theorists would be right.

You never want conspiracy theory freaks to be right. You want them right where they are: wearing a bathrobe, in the basement of their mother's home, looking at frame-by-frame images of the Zagruder film.

==============================================================================

Even worse, what would it be like, to be a in corps that was a victim of this fix?

Imagine this: It is Saturday night of Finals. You are in your age-out year, and you've just given the performance of a lifetime, to a roaring ovation. To get to this point, you've busted your hump for the past 3 months, on every practice field in North America. You come out on the field for retreat, expecting to be handed your first-place medal.

But oh no - the judges have rigged the contest, for marketing purposes! They gave the contest to the "Podunkville Marching Space Cadets". (Not a real corps.) They marched and played terribly, but someone at DCI calculated that they could generate more ticket sales at the Podunkville show next June.

So sad for you! Boo hoo hoo! Now, instead of your first-place medal, here's a toaster oven. Have a nice bus trip home.

Well would it really make much of a difference if Crown was crowned the champion this year? How much of a difference did it make this year since Phantom was crowned the champion last year?

I think it would make a HUGE difference if Crown was "crowned" the champion this year. It would immensely help CC. I would be a potentially symbolic shift for DCI to a new team. It would be HUGE.

No offense but some of you are a little naive... the idea of "Well if so-and-so doesn't DESERVE..." Listen, fans don't care if the Troopers DESERVE to be in 12th place and in Finals, they just WANT the Troopers in Finals. Likewise a large number of fans don't care if Crown doesn't DESERVE to win, they want them to win. Yes, I know both of those corps could very will place in those positions however a majority of fans don't really care who "deserves" anything, they care about the "feel-good story" of the year. Just like in any other sport.

You people are taking this WAY too seriously and personally. The TC isn't even proposing that any of this should happen. TC is just talking theoretically. :thumbup:

No offense but some of you are a little naive... the idea of "Well if so-and-so doesn't DESERVE..." Listen, fans don't care if the Troopers DESERVE to be in 12th place and in Finals, they just WANT the Troopers in Finals. Likewise a large number of fans don't care if Crown doesn't DESERVE to win, they want them to win. Yes, I know both of those corps could very will place in those positions however a majority of fans don't really care who "deserves" anything, they care about the "feel-good story" of the year. Just like in any other sport.

Yeah apparently quite a few fans do care. So you may just want to check who is being naive. no offense of course.

Edited by bmroth1