Allentown VODs

Well it look's like the ghost of Birney is still playing Allentown. During some of the corps performances you can hear some of the other corps warming up. Especially during the ballads. Now I've played at Allentown before and I know that the parking and warm up areas for the corps are limited but you would think something could be done to minimize the background noise. I know it's not the corps warming ups fault but it does kind of take away from the corps playing on the field.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What would you have them do? I'm not trying to be a smart###. I seriously am asking a question. We had that problem in 2000, but we all know how Allentown is. It seems there is little solution to this problem.

There was also some distracting sounds coming from the DCI marketplace last night.

Well it look's like the ghost of Birney is still playing Allentown. During some of the corps performances you can hear some of the other corps warming up. Especially during the ballads. Now I've played at Allentown before and I know that the parking and warm up areas for the corps are limited but you would think something could be done to minimize the background noise. I know it's not the corps warming ups fault but it does kind of take away from the corps playing on the field.

In a perfect world, yes. But this is drum corps. It's not a symphony concert! The conditions for the event are outdoors, neat streets, airports, train tracks, and the area surrounding a stadium can be limited. Neighborhoods that prohibit warm ups, or businesses that need to be open and therefore can't spare their parking lots, can all be reasons why warm up areas are limited.

And it's not like we can tell DCI to only go to sites where everything is perfect. You will NEVER have that. This is a similar issue to the housing issue that just came up. Finding space for corps housing, finding space for warm ups, finding ideal locations, and finding room to park a LOT of busses and trucks can be so difficult. But when it doesn't happen we have people that cry about the lack of respect given their corps when another corps warms up over their show.

It's not a sign of lack of respect, it is a practicality. And your "art" is not in a controlled environment like that of the orchestra, or Broadway, or Opera. It is outdoors at a football field. You are what you are, a medium of performance that uses a football field for its grandest events, and most people who attend associate these events as casual entertainment, with popcorn and hotdogs and soda served with the main course. A little noise from the background is expected.

Edited by jwillis35

I can understand warming up but there is no excuse for a drumline BANGING AWAY for 10 minutes straight within yards of the contest site. It is bad enough show design today incorporates very soft and musical can hardly hear a pin drop moments in their show. It got to the point where people in the stands were not even looking at the field the heads were turned toward the outer reaches past the goal posts to see what was going on. If I was a director, I would have pulled my corps off the field. There used to be penatlites for this type of thing.

I remember that happened last year too, I remember hearing another corps warm up specifically during the Blue Stars performance.

But whatcha gonna do

I can understand warming up but there is no excuse for a drumline BANGING AWAY for 10 minutes straight within yards of the contest site. It is bad enough show design today incorporates very soft and musical can hardly hear a pin drop moments in their show. It got to the point where people in the stands were not even looking at the field the heads were turned toward the outer reaches past the goal posts to see what was going on. If I was a director, I would have pulled my corps off the field. There used to be penatlites for this type of thing.

Wow, what a bold and intolerant statement...

"banging away"? Sounds like a bari-bone player comment to me... and sorry that show design has gotten too musical and artistic for you. If you can't handle it, go back to your "starting line"

It is what it is.

The way I see it, I would rather have that extra bit of noise during performances because that guarantees that every corps can perform at their top level BECAUSE of that warm up. If we prohibited warm ups, or limited time/volume allowed, then I think we would be complaining that the corps aren't performing well due to the fact that they DIDN'T get ample warm up time.

This is why I'm happy Crown is going on last tonight!