Show Changes that Ruined a Show for You.

I remember a lot of fairly dark and heavy shows that year. I really liked Cadets that year, but I did not know they changed the ending from earlier. Can someone describe the original ending for me? Just a guess, but I'll bet it had something to do with soldiers not returning from war. Am I right? Bluecoats did that in '95 and its was very powerful. maybe Cadets did it too for a while?

From my own personal show changes that I didn't like....In 1991 SCV, they changed the horn parts in the last few bars of the opener. This was the overture to Miss Saigon. They changed the them to create what I consider a very contrived impact. Instead of retaining the dark and minor feel that the music had originally, it turned into an a kind of "ta-daaa" impact that was kind of out of character to the rest of the show. That stuck out to me because I loved the rest of the show soooo much. After the change I had to ignore 3 or 4 bars and wait for Sun and Moon to start.

The original ending was fast and furious ala typical ending. Was fun and extremely hard.Then we had about 3 other different endings during the season.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a lot of fairly dark and heavy shows that year. I really liked Cadets that year, but I did not know they changed the ending from earlier. Can someone describe the original ending for me? Just a guess, but I'll bet it had something to do with soldiers not returning from war. Am I right? Bluecoats did that in '95 and its was very powerful. maybe Cadets did it too for a while?

Ending 1: typical Cadets fast/crazy ending. Good but not great (IMO)

Preview of Champions ending: slow and quiet. Part of the corps marched off (boys marching off to war), I think, to the 'parade march' from the show, and part of the corps left on field playing the slow somber tune (I think from Far and Away, if I remember correctly). It was a pretty emotional ending, and it was my favorite ending of that season

Final ending: you know what it is: arguably a mixture of Ending 1 and PoC ending, and probably the most cohesive ending.

That's a show that I love, warts and all I guess, and I saw it probably a dozen or so times that season.

Madison 1976. It really ###### me off when the took out Shaft.

Michael Lecrone's attempt at the drum corps idiom. He works much much much much better with the Wisconsin marching band.

Garfield 1993. The middle section of the show was watered down to death. I'm not sure weather it was during "In the Spring, When Kings Go Off to War" or "Ballet Sacra".

Their show was so awesome in the beginning of the year, but ended up being less good design wise at finals. It was a BIG difference.

Edited by jjeffeory

Garfield 1993. The middle sections was watered down to death. It was so awesome at the beginning, but ended up being less good at finals.

The sped up tempo in the ballad was MEH! It was sooooo beautiful, highly shaped and emotional when they played it slower.

Ending 1: typical Cadets fast/crazy ending. Good but not great (IMO)

Preview of Champions ending: slow and quiet. Part of the corps marched off (boys marching off to war), I think, to the 'parade march' from the show, and part of the corps left on field playing the slow somber tune (I think from Far and Away, if I remember correctly). It was a pretty emotional ending, and it was my favorite ending of that season

Final ending: you know what it is: arguably a mixture of Ending 1 and PoC ending, and probably the most cohesive ending.

That's a show that I love, warts and all I guess, and I saw it probably a dozen or so times that season.

We marched off playing "Semper Fi" while the front played Far and away. We also had an ending where we marched off while a soloist played the "Born on The Fourth of July" trumpet solo.

That was a rough one. I saw it early season in California, and by finals I didn't even recognize it as the same show.

Ditto. I too saw them early in 92 at the Sacramento show and then at finals. I can't believe they cut the menorah dance - one of the most beautiful things I've seen in drum corps. IIRC down to only one flag by the end of the season. Yep, just checked FN only one flag at finals

Can you explain this one? Is it the added recorded voice clips? I guess I can understand that, but all the musical and visual changes seem are mostly very positive.

No, actually I kinda like the narration stuff.

I'm getting annoyed about them taking a firehose to some of my favorite licks of the show.

Plus they changed the Cool ending, which bothered me since it was my favorite part of the show.

I guess I can't fault them for it though; the show is really hard.

And it's still one of my top 3 favorite shows of the yar.

SCV 92.

It was still okay by the end of the season (awesome drumline), but it wasn't even close to the show they brought to Madison earlier in the season.

I can tell you that was one crazy year. It was planned all the way before the Miss Saigon show of 1991. It was the 25th anniversary and everything was setup for us to take home another ring....before the season. The corps was packed with vets in all three units. 3 of the 4 rookies we had in the battery were Colin McNutt, Jeff Queen and Nick Angelis. The rest were all returning from a line that won drums the year before. I was told that our white uniforms in 1991 were partly so the red unis with the white pants coming back the next year would have an impact. It was supposed to be an everything but the kitchen sink show. The pit was mounted on carts and was supposed to be incoprorated into the drill. This proved to be impossible and we just moved once. Very little impact if you ask me and those stupid carts were a menace to load and unload. There were tons of things that we were supposed to do that either never happened or just got taken out. magic tricks, uniform changes, Traditional stuff like the silver sparkle drums from the 1967 season, theatrics like '85-'87...... But, none of these things stayed in the show. There were so many problems, its impossible to remember them all. The staff was bickering with one another all summer. The drumline was, in fact, redonkulously talented but I will promise that we had perhaps the worst attitude of all time. Very little respect was shown to the staff throughout, and it showed in the scores. The only thing that staying was the bottle dance and thank God for that. but, they even tried to screw that up for us. The gogo boots and old school color gaurd outfits (which rocked the house) were replaced with a black dress and bare. That had to have been the color guard staff just trying to spite Gale. Gale was sick the whole summer and it affected everyone's morale. It was HOT everywhere we went. We were getting beat by everyone. It was pretty miserable. We came in 9th in drums at POC that year.

The staging was terrible. The drum feature had the battery on the 20 yeard line on the back hash. Yes, waaaay beack there. I could go on and on and on.

The show that made it to Madison in June was completely different than the show that made it to Madison in August. We had a winner and turned it into a mess.

A lot of people love that show, because it was pretty much all old school. There were a lot of good things in it. But, it could have and should have been magic.