Scranton - Parade of Champions

Heather... (Beyer... now there's a good drum corps name in that area of PA :lol: )

I'm not clear what you are refering to as "walking around in front of"... if it's brass players or drummers... no problem (although it probably doesn't look very good...) if it's banners carrying their flags, they are in violation of the flag code of the United States... I believe that penalties for such violations would only be in effect during the judged portion of the show - however, those penalties are indeed still on the books... To be certain I would have to check on that due to the new 17 minute rule... flag code could be in effect throughout... I'll check on that.

but the best answer is... rethink where you stop the A section so that there is no "look" of disrespect anywhere.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an innocent question... I swear...

Is there a penalty for passing the Honor Guard as they are leading the Corps onto the field? Someone I was sitting with had noticed corps arcing up for warm up on the field and the leader of the arcs were passing the Honor Guard as they were walking past and made a comment about it.

I had thought there was, but then again, I haven't been on the field in a few years.

Even during the judged portion of the show that would not be a penalty. Simply stated, the US flag may be centered and ahead of OTHER FLAGS or on-line and to the right of all OTHER FLAGS. Flag code violations are not only subject to a judging penalty (once timing starts), but are also a violation of federal law. I imagine it will soon be taxed somehow, too.

Joe

I've got a hundred bucks that says she won't do it again. :lol:

Actually, I'd be tearing the visual and/or guard staff a new one. There's no excuse for this sort of penalty. If the member was told to sit, she should have been told where. If she became incapacitated, it is an unfortunate circumstance and I'll bet the whole corps was schooled today on what to do if it happens to them.

Im not trying to start trouble, but I want to put together what I am understanding from the collective or reviews.

Reading was good but flat. Can be beaten.

Hurcs don't deserve the placement they got. Their guard isn't good and neither is the hornline nor drill. The don't move at a high velocity they should be in 4th or 5th place right now.

MBI should be beating everyone. They have great drill that doesn't invole them moving, but they play really well.

Cab should be beating hurcs point blank. Not much else.

Empire got the placement they deserved.

Bush, their guard is awesome as should be winning.

These are not my opinions. I actually disagree with all of it. But this is what I am getting from the reviewers. I'm not here to pick a fight because your opinion is your opinion. But I do have questions.

if hurcs are not that good, why are they cosistantly behind buccs this year. If their drill doesn't move, that means that since they don't have a tempo below 160 it seams, they are marching cut time. Why is there guard always winning if they aren't the best?(S someone going to try and use the mickey kelly excuse again like last year?)

Just my opinion. Also its what I'm colectively getting.

Standings as I saw it were as follows:

Buccs

Hurcs

Cabs

MBI

Empire

Bush

We won't go int special awards.

Thank you for reading my little review thing.

If mbi is that great, why are they where they are? Travel time?

Cabs should be higher?I agree. Over Hurcs? Dunno. Its been pretty consistant so far.

Empire, I atually agree with everyone. No questions there.

Bush, well, last year when hurcs battled bush guard all season, everyone said it was a tie. This year, a chunck of the talent from bush guard went to hurcs and all of a sudden, hurcs guard is just ok and bush guard is great. Granted, the are really really good and talented, but not the best.

Cabs alumni- no questions there, just a balls to the wall, get off your feet, throwing babies on to the field performance. Never fails.

MBI should be beating everyone. They have great drill that doesn't invole them moving, but they play really well.
Edited my original reply to your post. I thought you were speaking from your perspective....my bad. However, yes, that does seem to be the general consensus. Not to say that I agree...except for the MBI movement part of course. Edited by VOReason

Heather... (Beyer... now there's a good drum corps name in that area of PA :lol: )

I'm not clear what you are refering to as "walking around in front of"... if it's brass players or drummers... no problem (although it probably doesn't look very good...) if it's banners carrying their flags, they are in violation of the flag code of the United States... I believe that penalties for such violations would only be in effect during the judged portion of the show - however, those penalties are indeed still on the books... To be certain I would have to check on that due to the new 17 minute rule... flag code could be in effect throughout... I'll check on that.

but the best answer is... rethink where you stop the A section so that there is no "look" of disrespect anywhere.

Thanks Tom! Dad (once again) became Mayor of Pineville down at JBC this summer. I was the only Beyer to leave Allentown this weekend...

Basically what I saw was the Honor Guard marching towards the front corner of the field. The hornline was coming onto the field and arcing up on the field and some of their members had passed the Honor Guard while marching to said arc. (I wish there was a "drill maker" option on here to show what I mean... Kind of like the 'dotbook' application for the iPhone)

So it's a no harm, no foul (although serious faux pas) if a member passes the Honor Guard but nothing else is to lead in front of the American Flag... I think I got it. :)

Bucs - good drum corps, hornline ok... easy book, good drill that moves

Hurcs - over-hyped! everything is slow and sloppy (should be 4th)

MBI - should be in second (bucs too good), hornline power with cool music, drumline awesome and the drill is second only to bucs

Empire - loud and fun music, move slow and not much

Cabs - hornline is good, drill is minimal (should be 3rd)

Bush - big guard thats about it

awesome shows to all the corps!

Edited by trumpetsurfcadet

Hurcs - over-hyped! everything is slow and sloppy (should be 4th)

I'm sorry 160BPM is not slow, and when their brains catch up you might appreciate it!

The Judges have them 2nd consistently.

:lol:

160bpm at small steps = not much

If their brains catch up? So are you saying they are sloppy... :lol:

I really think that if all DCA corps were at shows more often on the east coast things would be different. MBI got one read all season with other competitive (top 5) DCA corps, it makes a difference.