2010 DCI Tickets: WHEEEEEEEE!

Last year at Bloomington I had 50 yard line seats. Didn't do anything special except order them within the first 15 minutes of them becoming available. This year I waited a day. Best was 20. So am I going this year? Not to the contest but as a volunteer at White River State Park. Maybe I'll get to hear YNWA by Madison.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don’t get a penny from me until I see and hear that stadium

just curious... how do you plan on YOU seeing and hearing the stadium without paying a penny.....?

want the best tickets?

shell out the money.

... that's generally how it works.

I agree. It's supply and demand; if they have enough Friends willing to buy up tix in the "good" sections, why wouldn't they get first crack? Not that they are necessarily "bigger" fans, but they put they provide valuable financial support to the activity and deserve to be recognized. And if fewer tickets are sold, DCI will find that out soon enough and adjust their strategy in the future as appropriate.

That's why I dropped my FDCI membership. I was a Silver member, but got crappy seats to Finals (in Boston) and never bothered to renew because I didn't see a real benefit for the money I shelled out (at the time, I think it was $500. It's more now.)

I don't like the effect of synths, so I've decided to severely curtail the number of shows I attend next year, including Championships. But if I wanted to go, I'd be willing to rejoin FDCI since now there is a benefit to doing so.

Edited by Phillygwm

do parents get freebies to see their kids play big time college sports?

no

Well, yes. Most college programs (as well as pros) have blocks of tickets set aside for family and friends (I think there are NCAA rules that they can't be resold etc...but I digress.)

But that's not the point. DCI and its member corps are looking for revenue. If they don't derive it from ticket sales, they'll need to get it elsewhere. It's Economics 101: Sell the tickets for the maximum amount needed to fill the venue (or, in this case, the good sections.) It seemed to me that those are a LOT of seats set aside for FDCI and I question whether those will be needed, but FDCI should absolutely get first shot at the best seats.

It's not a question of who is the bigger fan, but money does, indeed, talk. It's no different than the super football fan with his bare chest painted every week in sub-zero temperatures. He's NOT typically sitting in the club boxes. Those guys are wearing golf shirts from their favorite country club.

The question becomes, if FDCI DOESN'T use all the allotted seats, what happens? Do they go up on Ticketmaster at a later date? Wouldn't that p--- people off!

Edited by Phillygwm

do parents get freebies to see their kids play big time college sports?

no

actually, the answer is yes. At many big universities football players receive 'comp out' tickets designated for the use of family and other loved ones. Heck even the members of the Marching Illini get two 'comp out' tickets per member for family and other loved ones for each home game. Tickets are held at will call and are distributed upon proof of id against a guest list held at will call.

surprised???

I was when I first learned this

-chris

Penn State Blue Band alum and former intern to the athletic events office

Quit playing the schill for your employers Mike, or JohnD might start having to charge DCI for ad space every time your fart out a post.

Shhhhhhhh. No one's supposed to know I have any connection with DCI whatsoever.

And if "fart" equals "type," then I guess my job (especially during the World Championships week) requires me to fart a lot. I just don't understand, though, why it's my fingers that get tired.

actually, the answer is yes. At many big universities football players receive 'comp out' tickets designated for the use of family and other loved ones. Heck even the members of the Marching Illini get two 'comp out' tickets per member for family and other loved ones for each home game. Tickets are held at will call and are distributed upon proof of id against a guest list held at will call.

surprised???

I was when I first learned this

-chris

Penn State Blue Band alum and former intern to the athletic events office

Yes, but for most major football powers, those aren't the best seats. Sure, this can vary from one school to another, but usually, it's not the best seats that are comped, but seats low down, for camera access.

In fact many of the major college powers irritated long-time season ticket holders who had always had first crack at renewing their own seats, about 20 years ago when, one team at a time, they started moving those folks out of their prime midfield locations to less advantageous locations... unless they ponied up with the big donors that were getting the best seats. This all presaged the "Permanent" Seat License concept which many pro football teams used in similar fashion. And they're not charities.

Of course, a college football player's family on full ride may have be saving enough money to pony up the big donations.

Corps also get a block of prime seats for DCI that they can divvy up as they please. If they want to reward their parents, they can. Or they can sell them, first come, first serve. But I think some corps reserve them for big donors to the corps.

Shhhhhhhh. No one's supposed to know I have any connection with DCI whatsoever.

And if "fart" equals "type," then I guess my job (especially during the World Championships week) requires me to fart a lot. I just don't understand, though, why it's my fingers that get tired.

Don't know either ... It's not like you've written anything new, or original, in the last 20 years.

wow, what happened to the days when you were blowing farts up mike's website with BOOWORLD? :thumbdown: