Post Scranton, Buccaneers ...poll

Do you think  

156 members have voted

1. 1. They will repeat as champs?

• Yes
    • no
  2. 2. They are the greatest corps ever assembled?

• Yes
    • no
    • Can't remember
  3. 3. Their colorguard will catch the Hurcs

• Yes
    • no

The last 2 minutes of their show is the same, re-set, power form ending, re-set powwer form ending, re-set power form ending/ Isn't this repetitious, I understand each tune is different, but the effect and emotion are the same over and over for the last 2 minutes.

I think you are right in a way, but I think it is how they are performing it at this point, not the closer itself. To me, the Buccs 2nd & last numbers have the most room for improvement. The opener is pure in your face drum corps and Fire Dance is the really fun part of the show that everyone seemed to like at Scranton. The slow piece with the great alto soloist seems nice, but not quite goosebumpy enough yet. I remember how hard it was to make slow pieces work when I marched. They always seemed to take the longest to get there. The closer has a lot going on, both music and m&m wise. I think this will be the Buccs' struggle. Can they pull off this really hard closer at the end of the show? my gut instinct says they can, but we will have to wait and see how it turns out in Rachacha.

No doubt, this will be the best pre-lims in many many years. I didn't see any of the top 6 at Scranton that wasn't putting out a solid product, albeit with some typical mid-season issues. Plus, we still have the Renegades and Brigs (can you ever really count them out of the top 5 this early?) I hope the crowd really shows up and gives all these corps what they have been working hard all year for....their appreciation and cheers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt, this will be the best pre-lims in many many years. I didn't see any of the top 6 at Scranton that wasn't putting out a solid product, albeit with some typical mid-season issues. Plus, we still have the Renegades and Brigs (can you ever really count them out of the top 5 this early?) I hope the crowd really shows up and gives all these corps what they have been working hard all year for....their appreciation and cheers.
The problem with this of course is that it is NOT mid-season. The other problem is that the Bucs had mid-season issues too......IN JUNE!

The problem with this of course is that it is NOT mid-season. The other problem is that the Bucs had mid-season issues too......IN JUNE!

This isn't mid-season? Many corps were out for their first judged show on June 27th. (Only a few were out prior to that weekend at Wildwood.) The season ends on September 5th. Scranton's show was held on August 1st.

If August 1st isn't mid-season, can you please inform the rest of us dummies what is? :rolleyes:

I'd say that Week 7 of a 12-week season is pretty much mid-season. And Bucs are among those having typical mid-season issues, albeit a bit fewer of them than the others.

The season is so short nowadays that there is no mid season. Unless someone else comes out at the start of the season with their I's dotted and T's crossed as Reading has over this stretch, this will continue.

June 20 was the first show. Sept 6 is Finals. Scranton was mid-season. Hey, I liked the Buccs too, but you seem to really need to tell everyone this ALL THE TIME. If you are such a fan, you might want to consider that you could be turning some poeple off of your favorite corps by overdoing it. I like to stir things up as well, but too much tends to backfire. Unless maybe that is your goal. whatever, youre entitled to your opion I guess.

anyhoo, but to the topic. "Best corps to ever be assembled" seems a little strong to me. How can anyone really judge this, unless they have seen every corps since the 1860's. Maybe Best DCA corps ever is a little more reasonable, although that would be a big feat to pull off. Some other great ones come to mind...1973 Cabs, 1977 Sun, 1980 Buccs, 1993 Bush, 1997 Statesmen, 2002 Brigs, 2005 Buccs for that matter... several more could reasonably be on this list. It's exciting to think that we could get to see another corps of this calibre at Nats this year.

Who knows, maybe 2 or 3 of them? :rolleyes:

The season is so short nowadays that there is no mid season. Unless someone else comes out at the start of the season with their I's dotted and T's crossed as Reading has over this stretch, this will continue.
Thank you....this is what I meant by it not being mid-season. I do agree that it IS chronologically mid season. And of course, due to the abbreviated season and dearth of head to head pairings, a quick start is beginning to take on more significance than an August run. Ah June...it's the NEW August...and BTW Ms. Duguay, I didn't mean to infer that anyone on these boards is a "dummie"....if I come across this way, I apologize.

June 20 was the first show. Sept 6 is Finals. Scranton was mid-season. Hey, I liked the Buccs too, but you seem to really need to tell everyone this ALL THE TIME. If you are such a fan, you might want to consider that you could be turning some poeple off of your favorite corps by overdoing it. I like to stir things up as well, but too much tends to backfire. Unless maybe that is your goal. whatever, youre entitled to your opion I guess.

anyhoo, but to the topic. "Best corps to ever be assembled" seems a little strong to me. How can anyone really judge this, unless they have seen every corps since the 1860's. Maybe Best DCA corps ever is a little more reasonable, although that would be a big feat to pull off. Some other great ones come to mind...1973 Cabs, 1977 Sun, 1980 Buccs, 1993 Bush, 1997 Statesmen, 2002 Brigs, 2005 Buccs for that matter... several more could reasonably be on this list. It's exciting to think that we could get to see another corps of this calibre at Nats this year.

Who knows, maybe 2 or 3 of them? :rolleyes:

Um yes best dca drum corps ever assembled. Had to clearify.

As I said in one of my other posts, any corps can win on any given day. there are a lot of people who think that reading is gods gift to drum corps right now.. but I can say this much for sure. if they get that mindset in their head, thats where they will start to become content, and that is the last thing you want inside your corps. From reading a lot of the opinions and reviews and stuff, I've talked to friends marching at other corps and they are disheartened by some of the things that are said about their Corps. Personally, I dont give a rats ###.

As for Reading, here is my honest opinion. They aren't at their A game yet. If they were, they would have a 90+ They are down in the B Category with the rest of us. Just because their show is a bit clearer doesn't mean that anyone can count out Hurcs, Cabs, MBI, or Empire. We will all be on their tail all the way to Finals, which makes it a lot more fun for us. Being in first all season and knowing that you are good isnt that fun. Running down someone all season and taking them at finals is. If anyone can catch them, it will happen at finals. I have a good feeling about this one.