How are announcers at DCI events chosen

Well By now I think you know that what you took as late annoucing was actually several of the corps doing their on Field "pre show " warm up.

I can tell you Fran did what was asked of him and when he was cued he did just that. As far as other little things you might have noticed. I wonder if you have ever announced any event before. I have and boy its no walk in the park.

The good thing is now you are well informed so tomorrow night when you go and hear Brandt Crocker do it you will not have to post two threads about his so called mess up.

The other thing you will be happy with is that all the Drum Majors will be in attendance finals night since they have no place to go... :laughing:

Thanks for clarifying matters. I'll just have to get used to this way. It was the first time I've heard it done this way and I guess its just not cup of tea. My apologies to Fran. He was doing what he was told to do.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Crown had problems with announcers being early or late in the preshowq with the announcements and about midseason from what I saw they got it right, um at the m'boro show I liked the guy doing the announcements cause it was intense and he was on time with when it waas to happen, but I think he mightve been a replacement because the announcers are usually told when to say the whole sha-bang, so he mightve been a replacement from how it sounds, though Crown doesnt salute....

he had to scream in 1992 dude. he couldnt have been heard otherwise ( and i was there)

and yes, he gets excited for others

You were there? Really? Can I touch you? <g>

I was there, as well, and I just went back to the video. Again, I can guarantee that he has ****NEVER**** reacted like that. The biggest crowd responses in 1992 were Phantom's 2-spot drop and Star dropping to third. It was 10x louder in 1988 when we could barely hear him announce Madison's score. It was incredibly loud last year when we could hear him announce Phantom's score.

Inflection can tell us much about this. Again, I think he's great, but there was something more to his reaction to the 1992 Cavies than "meets the ear."

Take 1989: SCV finally wins again. His voice is pretty controlled/even. 1990 Cadets... reads his script. 1991 Star... not that excited. 1993 Cadets...not that excited. Go back to the 1992 video.

It's cool having Brandt Crocker as the announcer for Marching Mizzou's pregame :laughing:

My favorite announcer was whoever worked the Drum Beauty show. I don't even know if they have that show anymore, but the announcer would extend it out wonderfully.

"Welcome to Druuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm Beautaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!" That was always my favorite.

That sounds a lot like Joe Bruno...."the Blllluuuuuuuuueeee Deviiiiiiiiiiillllsssssssssssss"

I don't know if he was still around in your era, tho....I think he's passed.

:lol:

To Sam and Cathie:

CORRECT on both counts! It was indeed Joe Bruno who used to announce at Drum Beauty, along with a plethora of other contests throughout the Midwest..

I remember he did a voice over for one of MBI's famous banquet 'slide shows' - I think it was the year we first made top 10 @ DCA.

My mom and my sister used to go crazy when they found out he was doing PA at Drum Beauty..the only fun part was when he would introduce MBI at DeKalb using the following..

"Our next corps proves that even if you have some snow on the rooftop, you can still have fire in the belly..." He definitely made each corps coming on feel like headliners...

My #3 in the announcer category!

Pat

No offense to Ryan...never heard you sir! :laughing:

Thanks for clarifying matters. I'll just have to get used to this way. It was the first time I've heard it done this way and I guess its just not cup of tea. My apologies to Fran. He was doing what he was told to do.

Thank you.

At the Giants Stadium show, I took my cues for the intros to each corps from a corps staff member, who was standing right next to me.

I will admit, the new format can be a bit tough to follow for the fans in the stands, since there basically is a standard announcing format (different from the old one...the new one was put in place a couple of years ago when the "pre-show" rule was approved), but each corps does their "pre-show" routine a bit differently and the announcements are made at different times, depending on the corps.

As far as having "no energy".....well, I gotta be honest, that's the first time in more than 25 years of announcing drum corps and band shows that I've been accused of that.

First time for everything, I suppose! :laughing:

Fran

The announcers are usually hired by the show sponsors.

I wasn't at Giants Stadium but I've been to more shows where Fran Haring has been the announcer than I can count. He's very good at what he does.

If he was consistently confused by the pre-show stuff, then it's because the pre-show stuff is designed in a way that confuses, not through any issues with his own performance.

For the record...... Fran wasn't confused.....

The original poster was..... apparently said poster doesn't understand moving warmups and Drum Major protocol

Usual excellent Hawaiian tropic humor in evidence like:

Giants stadium is a smoke free environment , if you need to smoke , go to the parking lot - get in your car and drive to Canada!

There was humor, emotion and excellent voice inflection used by Fran

IMHO this activity is getting overrun by bandos with no knowledge of the past , lodging complaint polls and etc.

Edited by fecontra

As far as having "no energy".....well, I gotta be honest, that's the first time in more than 25 years of announcing drum corps and band shows that I've been accused of that.

First time for everything, I suppose! :lol:

Fran

:worthy:

What do you mean - FIRST time ?? :worthy:

(runs and hides) :worthy:

Pat :laughing:

from under a rock somewhere in the Midwest...

On the whole "timing of the announcements" thing.....

In future years, I hope the corps' personnel who are cueing the announcers at various shows take into account the audio delay that is present with the PA systems at many of the larger stadiums... meaning that the announcer speaks into the microphone, but his/her voice is heard in the stadium a second or two later.

I've worked a bunch of drum corps and band shows at Giants Stadium over the years, and there is about a one-second delay in that system.

The other night at Giants Stadium, at least one corps director was aware of the delay and factored it in to his cues.

That one- or two-second difference can be key, when it comes to exact timing.

Fran