The running start

It was really cool when corps started doing this more often! :devil:

Now it seems like every corps, every year does it and it's losing its effect. Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

Seems like a way to make shows last 13+ minutes... :blink:

I really like the extra time corps get to perform at the beginning...... it has to get boring just rehearsing 11.5 minutes of show over and over.

When is a corps going to take this to the fullest extent and actually begin their show from the tunnel (I know Crossmen did this a few years ago, but I think that was not a pre-show)? I want to see a corps begin their show the second they appear in the stadium, and keep performing until they exit.

For those arguing that it causes more choppy musical arrangements....... I really disagree with that. Take Crown for instance. The pre-show allows them to take their time and build the Promise of Living music very slowly over the course of a minute and a half. They would never have the time to develop a melody like this in the actual show for fear of losing some GE and the scarceness of impact points. Now we get to hear a melody built at a very patient pace. It makes the "storm" music afterward seem even more frantic in comparison.

So yes.... I really like the pre-shows a lot and would not mind at all if this became common-practice.

By the way.... does anyone else think that the bored emoticon: ( :blush: ) looks like a smiley with a huge mustache? :devil:

Edited by Tez

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should just bring back starting pistols instead of B Crocker doing intros?

maybe we should start all shows on the starting line...

It doesn't make them arrange differently, but a time limit forces the corps to cut stuff that just doesn't work. VERY RARELY do you see shows that work for the full 12 minutes, so adding more time...I'm not sure what it does for design.

I'm more into an X min package that works, rather than "give me more corps!" I do like the idea but I don't think it's as effective as it used to be.

music => ::pause:: => "please welcome lolcorps!" => BA BAAA!!!! Fun once in while, but not all the time.

Edited by jetman1287

I kind of like the way Phantom does it. Not so much pre-show music and what not but more acting by the whole corps to set the show... the whips/chains last year were awesome.

High five! I remember hearing the Faure piece last year and thinking, "Oh wow, that's so nice" which led so nicely into the Blue Stars show proper. Pure emotional magic which threw the Cadets "emotional" show into harsh relief later.

I also liked Cadets 03 'My Favourite Things' start, particularly the false turn front field that becomes a 360 turn. Cool.

Incidentally, on the Fan Network, during CC's intro, why do the announcers keep saying 'Carolina Crown' OVER the hit Promise of Living hit, instead of before it? So annoying.

I think partly because Crown's show title is long and the announcers are pausing during the intro. It is a lot to say in a short amount of time and quite frankly the title doesn't flow well within the announcement. I also think this may be partly the reason why the Cadets changed their announcement. Talk about a long convoluted show title.

Think that's why they have made some changes to that part of the show. They hold out the note for another measure and added in another measure of rests as well.

Why not cue the announcer sooner?

Think that's why they have made some changes to that part of the show. They hold out the note for another measure and added in another measure of rests as well.

this is beacause the warm up period is a certain length of time and the announcer makes his announcement at a set time during that warm up period in order for him to finish prior to the start of the judging time. If a corps wants the announcement to happen right before a hit as opposed to over the hit then they need to work out their timing better in the opening in order for that to happen. the announcer is working from a timed script which starts at the beginning of the corps warm up period. There is noone from the corps whispering in his ear to announce the corps now so it fits their show. that is why the 1989 Cadets intro worked so well, they timed it perfectly for their intro to stop just before the announcer made the announcement and then they made their big hit right at the beginning of the timed judging period.

Too often the announcement is off by a second or two, which makes it seem like a miscue on the announcer's part. Since a voice could be recorded using the appropriate phrasing, it makes more sense for the corps who want that "announcement/major impact" moment to simply record their own voiceover and have the synth player key it in at the appropriate moment, so it's ALWAYS correct.

If they're going to do it, the rule should be changed to allow corps to make sure it's done right every time.

Edited by mobrien

Maybe we should just bring back starting pistols instead of B Crocker doing intros?

What would be cool, is a corps doing a specifically "retro" show as their theme, and include just that as their intro.

I don't think it's meant to have the same impact as before. The earliest I know of is Cadets 03 doing this (could have been done earlier though), and once enough corps jumped on the band wagon it became an intro rather than a running start. I thought this was why they changed the announcer's speech, to better coincide with this.

Cadets 1989 is the earliest I know of.