Who else on here marched DCI 72

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see all the Northwest corps reps from '72, '73, '74, and '76 (there's a selfish theme here). Also all Patriots and Renaissance scores from those years. Pics would be amazing too!

I would PM you for these but maybe others would like to see these as well. As I mentioned before, this particular info seems hard to come by.

If memory serves we lost a few shows in '72 to those invaders from Concord...

Thanks Brian.

Seems there are at least a couple of us posting in this thread that were on the field in Pasco (WA) and Pendelton (OR) in 1972.

Keith, you might like to know that your corps was a major motivator for VK that summer. We had just come of a non-touring year (after the corps kinda imploded after AL in Portland in 70), and our tour to the NW was our first road-trip back before returning to a full-tour in 73.

So, while we didn't go to DCI, we did come north. Fred Lopez, who IIRC was a big-wig in the NW Circuit was excited to have some of the corps from CA come to Western WA (BD)and Eastern WA (VK, CA Crusaders, Knight Raiders). You guys were the power in the east for the circuit, and we were told that this would be a great experience, we'd learn a lot about touring, blah blah, blah, but, "YOU'LL NEVER BEAT THE PATRIOTS".

Our little corps (69 total members) worked our butts off just to try and give you guys a run for the money, CA Crusaders were convinced they could beat us outside of SoCal, and we had beaten BD earlier in the season.

I'll admit that we were surprised when we won both of those shows, and welcomed your corps' invitation to a pool party in Spokane before we headed on to Edmonton. We won every show on that tour, and it definitely helped with retention of members and recruiting for 73. And, for two weeks in Eastern Washington, Alberta and Montana, we were rock stars!

Still, I would have liked to have gone to the first DCI, just to say we did.

Garry in Vegas

PS Just for fun, here are the scores for Pasco and Pendleton...

Saturday July 15, 1972

Pasco WA

Position Corps Score

1 Velvet Knights 69.500

2 Percussion-naut Patriots 66.900

3 Flamingos 60.500

4 Tri-City Columbians 57.900

5 Hawks 57.500

6 Royal Lancers 56.550

7 Sentinels 55.700

8 Crusaders 54.850

9 Titans 51.200

DIVISION B

1 Knight Raiders 56.950

2 Shamrocks 47.450

3 Seattle Cascades 39.500

4 Spartans (WA) 37.300

5 Rocky Mountain Rangers 35.850

6 Sunsetters 35.250

DIVISION C

1 Black Watch 37.950

2 Edmonton Strutters 37.750

3 Oregon Crusaders 31.350

Sunday July 16, 1972

Pendleton OR

Position Corps Score

1 Velvet Knights 71.000

2 Percussion-naut Patriots 69.300

3 Tri-City Columbians 60.950

4 Portland Hawks 60.150

5 Flamingos 59.350

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I did send Keith the Northwest scores he was looking for, as well as musical repertoires for many of the NW corps of those years.

Brian, does CorpsReps.com have everything DCW has? There are so many missing scores from the early 70's. The few I had in some VK yearbooks I've sent, and I've asked other friends who marched in SoCal and NorCal to see if anyone still has old programs in Mom and Dad's garage, but haven't seen anything new (old?) in a long time.

Garry in Vegas

This is my first time posting to DCP. I marched at the first DCI in the Des Plaines (IL) Vanguard. We took 7th place. One significant memory about the evening was getting drenched on the field during Retreat (what we used to call Grand Finale) and being ordered by the announcer to just get off the field. Pandemonium, but fortunately scores had already been announced. Many great memories about the first DCI including the fact that many corps stayed in dorms at Whitewater. Quite a departure from the usual gym floors!

Wow Garry, thanks for the response.

A little off topic for this thread, but this is by far the most I've read about when and where I marched I've ever seen on DCP.

You mentioned the pool party before and I had no memory of it - now I know why. That first year was kind of a blur since I had no idea what I was doing; too young (13) and still didn't really know what this drum corps thing was.

Back to On Topic a little more - In '72 I still hadn't dialed in to drum corps. When some corps mothers brought me my ticket to Finals I complained that I didn't want to go!

In midsummer '73 we convinced the corps' directorship that we might have a chance to make Finals after scoring a 75 in Canada (very much a fluke in retrospect) and held mucho fundraisers to go. I couldn't wait to go to DCI in '73 and '74. Youth was wasted on the too young for me in '72.

This is my first time posting to DCP. I marched at the first DCI in the Des Plaines (IL) Vanguard.

Welcome cathyo!

The 1972 Des Plaines Vanguard remains a favorite of mine. You were YEARS ahead of the game!

Remember the lights going out at U.S. Open finals just before you guys were supposed to step off?

The lights finally came on and the crowd went nuts. Great corps.

Welcome cathyo!

The 1972 Des Plaines Vanguard remains a favorite of mine. You were YEARS ahead of the game!

Remember the lights going out at U.S. Open finals just before you guys were supposed to step off?

The lights finally came on and the crowd went nuts. Great corps.

Wow! Thanks for the kudos. It was an amazing time for me and all my Vanguard brethren. It's a shame that there is not video of us to complete the 1972 DCI Championship DVD. For some reason the reel to reel containing DP Vanguard and 3 other corps from that historic meeting is missing.

For some reason the reel to reel containing DP Vanguard and 3 other corps from that historic meeting is missing.

The absence of DPV from the video is a great loss. Apparently it is the middle portion of videos that is missing, since Muchachos, DPV, Cavaliers and Troopers are the corps missing from the video, and they were numbers 3-6 in order of appearance that night.

Edited by Northern Thunder