Who else on here marched DCI 72

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there for the first one with Santa Clara Vanguard

What I remember most was that it was probably our worst show of the year for us but in hind sight it really got the corps motivated for the '70s.

That night at retreat before the scores were announced we had to leave the field early because of a huge wind storm that hit the stadium and soon after the horizontal rains hit. We were running off the field when they said in third place Vanguard and I thought they said Des Plaines Vanguard. We were running to our buses through all the wind and rain and looking through my rain covered glasses I could see the Kingsmen kids by their buses hugging each other when I realized they had won that night. Unfortunate the Kingsmen didn't get a proper tribute (all corps marching off before them) for winning the first DCI Championship.

:unhappy:

Edited by amadorj

I was marching in 1972 but we did not go to DCI.

We (the Sundowners) did stay at the same school as the Kingsmen that August and

went on AFTER them in the show that night - talk about feeling small.

No...the staff diddled with the show so much we ended up waaay overtime...inexusable IMO.

I hope you know I was kidding...

This should be interesting.

Even in prelims, who marched the 1st one

ME

SHOULD have been there but Blue Rock pulled out of the show due to financial issues. I'm guessing that we'd have placed in the top 6 had we had the money to get there!

(In an early sign that DCI would always be there to help out with corps issues, they promptly assessed a $1,000 fine.)

Aged out flying over North Viet Nam September 12th 1973... hadn't been in the states since November 1971.

Missed my golden opportunity I guess.

Now I think I've even aged out of instructing, and I can never judge while my kids continue to teach.

Still had a good time though.

I believe this was my age out year at DCP as well.