From 1st to 8th?

I thought Phantom might pull a 2000, but I wasn't expecting this.

I hope they get better visually next year because their music is really great.

The drums are great--the snares especially-- there is a lot of junk going on w/ the horns-- execution and tone problems--thick tonguing--rough tone. I wouldn't put the horn line in the top 6 this year.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, aging out means nothing any more. Todays members are more transient than in the past. You may have a 20 year old this year that decides to march elsewhere next year. Doesn't mean you'r getting a "rook" to replace them, just might be someone from another corps.

Until equal weight is give to music, those doing crazy Visual stuff will be the winners. Last year was a fluke, and now they're paying the price for it. Don't be surprised if they end up 9th, I won't be.

As mentioned earlier I placed them 7th after the first viewing. Here are my issues with the show from day one...

Design is poor and barely top twelve caliber.

Color Guard not featured and staged properly and their execution on somehting as simple as dressing down is terrible. Can anyone say straight line?

The music which some think is Phantastic is not (IMO). Execution is there and the sound is tremendous but the music doesn't have flow throughout the show. The Jazz portion disrupts the flow. In the end, the music does not draw the crowd in and certainly doesn't feed the corp.

I can't help but think that off season distractions played a big part in their fall from the top.

New Guard

New Career for Caption head

The inability to recognize the issues...Staging is only a small part of the problem, the big part rest solely on it's design.

If they recognized these issues early on then there may be a lot more going on behind the scenes than we know. Either way I see big changes in the off season.

I am a Regiment homer - I make no secret about it. However...I think you are right on. There comes a point when you just have to accept that a show is not going to work. I think this year is a great example of a group who was given a poorly designed show, but did everything in their power as performers to pull it off. There simply comes a point where not even the most talented performers can make what they are given shine.

I give credit to the 2009 Regiment members for sticking it out, and hope that many of them commit to coming back in 2010. I also hope the Board either finds a new drill designer, or makes sure he spends more than a weekend writing it (I know that's inflammatory, but it makes me angry to see such talented members receive such a weak show).

Speaking of performance captions - I can't help but feel their is a terrible long-standing trend in DCI to place a corps within a place or two of their final placement across the board. I sincerely think a corps can have a top 3 Hornline, Drumline, or Colorguard, but still finish in the bottom of the top 12.

Edited by raphael18

To be honest they don't have 8th locked up--they'll probably get ninth. I don't think its a shame at all that their placement has dropped this year. What we have is a situation like '92-- when regiment was 8th after getting 3rd the previous year. Everyone else's show rocks this year-- THIS IS A GREAT YEAR IN DCI. Did you see all the age outs on the field last night-- how many regiment age outs did you see? Not too many. Cadets and Blue Devils probably had 40 each--Carolina Crown had many more than Phantom.

Difference is, they were screwed in 1992. Simple as that.

Geoffrey

In the context of the show the Jazz/big band swing doesn't fit at all. For me it's like playing Romeo and Juliet and throwing in a jazz piece. No matter how well it's performed it doesn't sound like it's performed well.

Problem here it's not like they decided on Monday to do the show and give it to the corp on tuesday. There is a period of planning that takes place and at some point they had to have known. At some point, you have to say "you know what, this isn't going to work."

Apparently that didn't happen or ego's came into play.

We may never know the truth. Next year will be very telling.

Edited by Phantombari1

Yay you win the most worthless comment award! Are they not mojoing enough for you? Have you ever heard a big band play? Ok.

it just doesn't work. lol. It's not like... a matter of insulting Regiment. this show just doesn't work on any level, but any kind of interest I hold is lost after the opener during the swing portion. It just doesn't work.

Not a real fan of the jazz piece, and visual is a mess, but I love the rest of the music and can't wait to listen to it on my Ipod.