DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

Furthermore, as much as I hate to compare and contrast BD '08/'09 to Star '93, I'm going to. First, your average joe blow fans aren't going to make harmonious love (applause, screaming, throwing babies, etc.) to a show they can't relate with or aren't enjoying. They will always root for the underdog, the one that gives them goosebumps, the one that creates legendary moments that will remain in one's memory for a lifetime. As it has been with BD the past two seasons, the fans never really rooted for Star either. They hated their unfamiliar sound, their misunderstood concepts, and everything else about the corps itself (there was a reason why they were termed the "Mickey Money" corps). In contrast, looking into the aftermath of both shows, BD '08 (or '09 for that matter) will never be what Star '93 ultimately ended up being, as they really aren't doing anything above and beyond, earth shattering, or activity-changing in their show. Star '93 was 10 years ahead of its time, whereas BD is taking techniques they (and others) have used for YEARS (alright, sans the chairs) and simply perfecting it to play the adjudication game.

Please don't speak for your average joe blow fans. I can appreciate your opinion, but many people loved BD's show including me. I also felt their show was quite innovative. Why don't you just come out and say you are pi##ed off Crown did not win because they are your favorite. Who cares if they lost percussion, GE, Guard and visual. They judges should have just ignored execution and design and given the gold to Crown because you are a fan. I am sorry the judges hurt your feelings. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sick of hearing this. They made it look easy be cause their drill was not as demanding* as others.

* Not as demanding means exactly that.

Personally I think it is a smart design move on their part. They know they have the best feet, and the show was designed to challenge the members but not so much as to be impossible to clean (early 2000's SCV).

Did you see their show live? Speed has been done to death and it does not equal difficulty. Especially when you are as dirty as Cadets and CC were.

Edited by jmc5682

Did you see their show live? Speed has been done to death and it does not equal difficulty. Especially when you are as dirty as Cadets and CC were.

No. I did not see the show live. However, I did use planar analysis on the high cam FN videos. :shutup:

No. I did not see the show live. However, I did use planar analysis on the high cam FN videos. :shutup:

Oh, you did NOT just go there!!! :lol:

Your observation, while accurate, also ignores a harsh reality. A reality that is disturbing to me.

This is a youth activity. These are kids. They are OUR children. Many are still in high school. They ALL work like dogs, and they do so in large part for the thrill of hearing a crowd roar at the end of their show.

Sitting in the upper deck, I personally observed, on three consecutive nights, how the fans (identified by shirts and hats) of one corps would consistently jump up and cheer for a powerful performance from any corps...except BD. This was most eggregious from the SCV section, where I observed dozens of people who remained in their seats and did not even politely "golf clap" for BD's performance, nor for their championship.

I'm sorry, but that is disgusting. Perhaps most-disturbing was a lady, probably in her late 60's, wearing SCV regalia. I recognized her from last year, when she also sat near me. She not only ignored BD's performances both years, but she actually cheered BD's heartbreaking '08 loss.

I'm a band parent, too. We publish a handbook to our new parents, reminding them that we stand and cheer for the performances of all other bands, even at the big competitions.

Have some DCI fans now slipped into thinking this is professional wrestling or cage fighting, where abuse of the performers is part of the show? Or maybe I just haven't heard about how my 19 year-old son personally insulted or harmed that old lady's family (he must have slipped out at night during all-days.)

Nobody booed Crown's score. Nobody booed the fact that these scores, overall, were the highest in history. They waited to boo until after BD's score was announced.

This disrespect, and failure to support all the kids who take the field, is bad for the activity. I hope it isn't a growing trend.

p.s. I'm a BD parent, so my view of the show itself is totally biased: It was incredibly clean (and the DVD will speak for itself.)

I would usually agree with this comment if it weren't for a few facts. My daughter is a member of Bluecoats. My husband and I sat in the center of what were a good number of Blue Devils fans and what you described as poor behavior by SCV fans were tame compared to the Blue Devils fans I was sitting next to. They were rude, stood up for no one except BD, one was reading a book throuhout the other corps performances and when I tried to strike up a conversation with one by asking is they had a family member in BD they said "of course" and then I tried to keep the conversation going by saying I had a child in Bluecoats and this BD fan literally scrunched her face up and said "Oh!" which told me very clearly that she didn't think very highly of the Bluecoats.

The BD fans that I encountered were rude and snobby.

I have sat by other fans and family members of other corps at several shows over the years and usually I have found that everyone is pretty supportive of each other.

I don't think that you were hearing boos towards the BD members I think the boos were for the judges. Most people were very dismayed by the ridiculous scoring given to the Blue Devils.

Oh, you did NOT just go there!!! :doh:

You know I did. Of course, not EVERYONE will know what I am talking about.

Let's not get all hot and bothered about fan reaction/attitudes too. As a Blue Devil parent, I could have lost my mind when people around me in section

639 booed when BD won. I heard some nasty comments regarding BD's win. I could have confronted them. But......I was so thrilled with the victory, no

knucklehead comments were going to ruin that perfect moment. My kid has given his last 5 summers to drum corps, and Saturday nite became

a World Champion(he has always been a winner in my book). In my opinion, this was one of the best years for shows in recent history.

So many great shows this year I can hardly wait for the dvd.

Compared to many other youth activities like football & baseball, dci fans as a group are actually pretty tame. Other fans can get ugly....really ugly.

The vast majority of fans in Indy were very friendly to me both before and after finals. What a great activity!

Besides, my kid gets a ring and he has yet to stop smiling.

:doh:

I don't think that you were hearing boos towards the BD members I think the boos were for the judges. Most people were very dismayed by the ridiculous scoring given to the Blue Devils.

LOL, calling BD fans rude and snobbythen throwing a comment on the score the Devils received, I forgot, what years did U judge on the DCI level ??

G

There are a**hole fans with every corps. Nobody should get all worked up because another corps fan is slighting yours. Chances are, there is a group of your corps fans being just as bad on the other side of the field.