Concerns with direction

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one was glad to see BD win with a less visually demanding show.At some point you have to draw the line on what is marching and what is just runnning around the field and lets see how many forms we can squeeze in 10 min.

After watching Friday and Saturday at Lucas Field I have some things which concern me about the direction of the activity especially visually. I am amazed that a group that spent over half the show sitting in chairs would win and in fact recieve several perfect numbers in visual captions. My understanding of how the system is set up is that the groups are judged on what they do in combination. I would think Blue Devils should be able to play very well since they seldom marched and played together. Same can be said for Carolina Crown and farther down the pile Phantom Regiment. Honestly I thought there was a case for Phantom to not be in finals. I realise a 9 place drop from a championship season is substancial but I am not sure with out thier name they would have even stayed in finals!

Unfortunately I think DCI is following in the foot steps of BOA which has had a band that placed first one year and second the next that seldom marched and depended largely on electronis. I really do not think this is the direction we want to go. I would have thought all of Cadets Cavaliers and Vanguard would have been ahead of both Cadets and Crown and that Glassmen, Blue Knights Troopers and Colts could have been ahead of Phantom.

I would like to hear other people's opinions on this. This is not intended to defame or promote any specific corps

I think you are missing the fact that other things are factored into a score. BD, Crown, & PR all sound very good and let's face it, that is a large part of the score. Should BD have one, I think so. They were clean, entertaining, and sounded great. If HNC toned down their level of difficulty they probably would have won. For me, PR had major visual issue, but I loved their music... it is the only one I have downloaded so far this year. That counts for a lot and that is why they are a large spread ahead of the aforementioned corps.

I think you are missing the fact that other things are factored into a score. BD, Crown, & PR all sound very good and let's face it, that is a large part of the score. Should BD have one, I think so. They were clean, entertaining, and sounded great. If HNC toned down their level of difficulty they probably would have won. For me, PR had major visual issue, but I loved their music... it is the only one I have downloaded so far this year. That counts for a lot and that is why they are a large spread ahead of the aforementioned corps.

Not missing the fact that they play well, loved listening to both but they did so with minimal visual responsibilities. I did not make up the system but it is built on combined ideas. I agree running for the sake of running is not good either but sitting in chairs or standing in forms for more than half the show does not put the same responsibility on the members

I for one was glad to see BD win with a less visually demanding show.At some point you have to draw the line on what is marching and what is just runnning around the field and lets see how many forms we can squeeze in 10 min.

This year is strange for a couple reasons - in once case its the first that I recall where people are saying that complex fast moving drill is "running around." Your reply is not the first to touch on this subject.

In the case of Carolina Crown this year they seem to "run around" at various points in their show but manage at the same time to maintain this amazing quality horn sound while doing so.

Wow! Are we really still talking chairs. The Blue Devils won because they performed the crap out of their show. You can argue demand until your BLUE in the face, but it doesn't matter. Will BD's show change the direction of everything in DCI? Hell no. Will the Cadets suddenly decide to stop being Indy Cars on feet? I sure hope not, that's what I and so many others love about them. The Blue Devils did not have my favorite show this year, but I'll still congratulate them for winning! It doesn't matter what any of us think about demand, chairs, etc, that show was nearly perfect, and they were rewarded for that.

Actually I am not suggesting visual is the only thing to look at however my understanding is that all the scores are based on what a group does in combination. With limited times that the horns played any thing meaningful while moving, the hors should sound very good. Yes Crown was dirty but they also did not have the full group drill responsibilities of the other top 5 minus BD

Are you serious? Their show was non-stop. While they may not have had the kind of crazy ending cadets had, however, crown tended to spread their difficulty over the whole show (and played while doing it), and overall i think they mightve had the highest drill (and playing through high demand drill responsibilities) of anyone out there.

After watching Friday and Saturday at Lucas Field I have some things which concern me about the direction of the activity especially visually. I am amazed that a group that spent over half the show sitting in chairs would win and in fact recieve several perfect numbers in visual captions. My understanding of how the system is set up is that the groups are judged on what they do in combination. I would think Blue Devils should be able to play very well since they seldom marched and played together. Same can be said for Carolina Crown and farther down the pile Phantom Regiment. Honestly I thought there was a case for Phantom to not be in finals. I realise a 9 place drop from a championship season is substancial but I am not sure with out thier name they would have even stayed in finals!

Unfortunately I think DCI is following in the foot steps of BOA which has had a band that placed first one year and second the next that seldom marched and depended largely on electronis. I really do not think this is the direction we want to go. I would have thought all of Cadets Cavaliers and Vanguard would have been ahead of both Cadets and Crown and that Glassmen, Blue Knights Troopers and Colts could have been ahead of Phantom.

I would like to hear other people's opinions on this. This is not intended to defame or promote any specific corps

My opinion is that as much as I liked the Colts, Academy, this year, I don't thnk even THEY think that they should have made the Finals this year over that of the Phantom Regiment. So in my opinion, your train went off the tracks regarding how you viewed the Colts, Academy, relative to that of Phantom Regiment this year. Boston and Blue Stars were slightly better via the whole package over that of Phantom Regiment. But your comment that " a case can be made for Phantom not to make the Finals " , and only stayed in Finals because " their name " is frankly one of the most ridiculous observations I 've read on here in quite some time. It just goes to show you the wide diversity of opinions there are among Drum Corps fans. Just when you assume that everyone thinks that at the very least Phantom Regiment might struggle to stay ahead of fine and improved Corps this season like the Boston Crusaders and the Blue Stars this year, a poster comes on and thinks that the Troopers ( God Bless them ) should maybe have beaten out Phantom this year, and maybe even the Colts, Academy, and God knows who else. I like DCP. It exposes me to people who's views on these Corps is certainly interesting, to say the least.

Edited by BRASSO

It's that age old question....easier and clean or harder and dirtier?

I look at it more like this:

Fluffy or non-existent music with rotating straight lines at fixed intervals fifteen differerent ways leading up to a 25-second burst of running around playing whole notes at FFF at the end of the opener and closer

or

an actual musical and visual program that work together