DCI Marketplace

My husband (who is not a drum corps person) commented that it felt like a trade show. Friday, it was quiet and almost sad. Saturday it was noisy & hectic, but not in a good way. It was too out of the way for people who like to maybe walk through after the show and pick up a few last minute bargains. I did notice that on Saturday night it looked like they allowed some of the corps to set up tables with a few Tshirts in the lobby.

I was trying to find the corps who sold the patches which said Drum Corps Mom (for obvious reasons) to put on the jacket I bought on Friday. Unfortunately I couldn't find the booth. The only one I didn't get a good look at was Phantom's - man, on Saturday when I went by there must have been 100 people lined up at their booth - it was bedlam.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The location could not have been good for sales. A lot of sales come in after the show (especially when its kind of out of the way to get to the souvies), and since it was in the basement nobody was going to be walking by it.

I agree that it felt like a trade show at times.

As a vendor that was there, I can say the following.

Any time people do not walk thru the sales area on their way in or out of a show our sales suffer.

I would say that maybe less then 20% of the people attending the shows for all 3 days came into the market area.

On thursday no one could figure out where the marketplace was, the stadium people were clueless.

We ask all show promoters to put suvi trailers where people have to walk thru, so DCI puts us WAY OUT OF THE WAY.

Saturday night after the show attendance was very poor. Many very dissapointed Corps.......

Well there's always next year.....

Just a thought about the set of the Marketplace at Lucas Oil.

Loved that it was inside and the vendors did not need to worry about the elements, HOWEVER

The fact that it was actually in the stadium made it very inaccessible. You needed a ticket for that day to get into it. Unlike past years when it was set up outside somewhere and could be visited by anyone without having to go into the stadium. Sometimes you just like to go walk around on a day you are not doing a show. For example for those people with finals tickets only, I do not think they want to spend their time in the marketplace when they are there to see a show. Some people come a day early and would like to just walk around

What is even worse - exiting the venue, you always went by the souvie booths which made sales. Indy - you had to go out of your way to get to the souvie booths. I'd be very interested to know how much (percentage) souvie sales were down at finals this year.

Edited by Ed Boxer

To get to the market place after the show was "out of the way" for many folks. Anyone that parked to the south or west of LOS would not have exited the stadium in that direction. Even those that did exit on the north side (main entrance) would have had to walk down to the field level. Not sure many folks want to go down 25 (approx) rows to get the market entrance.

I saw in on of his tweets that Hoppkins said the Cadets had done about 1/3 of what they did in one day at Allentown. I don't know if he was talking about all 3 days or one day of championships.

If sales were down significantly, I'm sure DCI will figure it out for next year.

Does anyone know if BOA used the same area for their market place?

My husband (who is not a drum corps person) commented that it felt like a trade show. Friday, it was quiet and almost sad. Saturday it was noisy & hectic, but not in a good way. It was too out of the way for people who like to maybe walk through after the show and pick up a few last minute bargains. I did notice that on Saturday night it looked like they allowed some of the corps to set up tables with a few Tshirts in the lobby.

I was trying to find the corps who sold the patches which said Drum Corps Mom (for obvious reasons) to put on the jacket I bought on Friday. Unfortunately I couldn't find the booth. The only one I didn't get a good look at was Phantom's - man, on Saturday when I went by there must have been 100 people lined up at their booth - it was bedlam.

You have bad luck. It's Phantom that sells those. Thank you for coming by the Crossmen trailer!

It was an inconvenience for me... I didn't even go down there because it was so out of the way.. why couldn't you set them up in the concourse like atlanta, SA, giants stadium, etc.

Anyway, that stadium was a huge CF, it was really nice, but hard to get around.

As a vendor that was there, I can say the following.

Any time people do not walk thru the sales area on their way in or out of a show our sales suffer.

I would say that maybe less then 20% of the people attending the shows for all 3 days came into the market area.

On thursday no one could figure out where the marketplace was, the stadium people were clueless.

We ask all show promoters to put suvi trailers where people have to walk thru, so DCI puts us WAY OUT OF THE WAY.

Saturday night after the show attendance was very poor. Many very dissapointed Corps.......

Well there's always next year.....

Didn't the Souvie managers and corps directors themselves meet in Indy early spring to tour the grounds and decide for themselves where to put the Marketplace?

the DCI marketplace was a bad idea.

I only went there because of my dogged determination of buying an SCV shirt. (got the tour shirt-sweet)

everything was all nice and organized, but it was too far out of the way, if you're sitting in the 120-130 seats, you're walking to the other side of the stadium.

Didn't the Souvie managers and corps directors themselves meet in Indy early spring to tour the grounds and decide for themselves where to put the Marketplace?

The Directors didn't agree. They were told where the souvenirs would be placed.

The concourse would hold corps merchandise, but there would not be room for vendors.

Corps could not have their trailers on the concourse, so they would have to haul inventory into the stadium and arrange some way to store it. They would have to remove it each night to secure it. There would not be all that much room on the concourse, so the corps would be constantly restocking.

There are a lot of logistical issues to think about. But the decision to put souvenirs in the dungeon was not a good one.