OK, BD, you are kicking everyone's butt! Now, can we have some

Had finals been on the West Coast this year who do you think would have been the "crowd favorite"?

:doh:

Location, location, location!

Ahaha! I am so sick of Malaguena! :doh:

I'm on the west coast and I could care less for BD this year... same with about 80% of the theater we saw quarterfinals in (In southern California).

Location has nothing to do with it. If my own corps put out a show that sucked, I would hate it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but compare this to 86, when they also smoked everyone. I know they were a crowd favorite then and the musical intent was still at the forefront of the activity. I know times have changed and the visual really works for them, but it would be nice if the kids weren't treated like the Yankees by the rest of the activity.

They will always do what they feel is the best show for their corps, but it would be nice for us paying fans to hear such a great hornline play great music again. Too much to ask?

BD's '86 show was one of my all-time favorites. IMHO, Buddy Rich was the greatest musician I ever heard and saw play live, and perhaps, along with Jascha Heifetz, the greatest musician of the 20th Century. BD did Buddy very well in '86 (and in '76, '77, '88, etc.).

We don't necessarily need 100 repeats of Malaguena, Channel One Suite, or Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor, but we need more of this style and other accessible music if we hope to attract non-musicians as fans of the activity. (However, I would LOVE BD to play Channel One again - it's been 23 years since the last time!!!!)

Maybe Chuck Mangione will have a new creative explosion and reclaim the title of "Composer to the Drum Corps World"!

I'll stay away from the bashing, boos and echo chamber portion of this conversation.

The OP brought up an excellent point. Well a few actually.

I'm a BD fan ... not so much recently. Why? Because of what the OP said. Bring back the hardcore jazz ... play the charts man. Winning is all fine and good ... but it's not always about winning. It's about how you win, what you're winning with .. and if you should lose, how you handle it. 86 is a great example.

Maybe all corps should do a show called 1986 next year. Bring it back and let's see if they can run and play those charts at the same time. I dare every corps to do so.

PR - this means you have to field 16 frenchies with no mello's

BD - Call up Maynard and Buddy Rich and get the rights handled ... and find a stone cold killer for the solo's!!!!

SCV - Maybe sneak in some 87 ... because that show was dah bomb!

Cavies - just don't play Variations on a Korean Folk song .. the rest of the show is tight

Troopers - Silverado, Prayer of Thanksgiving, The Red Pony????? Heck yeah ... play that show again!

Blue Stars - will have to play Star Wars in place of Star of Indiana

Crown - Wizard of Oz in place of Sky Ryders .... makes a good fit with the past couple of years.

Cadets - On the waterfront ... I'll take it. Just find a new closer.

Madison - Alex's Rag, Harlem Suite, Starlight Express FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boston - Fifth Symphony, Coronation March, Smooth Operator, Bluesette, Conga .... I can dig that.

Blue Coats - Hungarian Dance No. 5, Doodletown Fifers, Salt Peanuts, Everything Happens to Me ..... +20 snares .. w00t!

Spirit - Dixie, That Cat is High, Sweet Georgia Brown, Amazing Grace, Precious Lord, Take My Hand, God Must Be Tryin' To Tell You Something .... ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! This is FULL of WIN!

The list goes on and on. 1986 for 2010 ... cmon all the corps can do it. Give us the music YO!

BD's '86 show was one of my all-time favorites. IMHO, Buddy Rich was the greatest musician I ever heard and saw play live, and perhaps, along with Jascha Heifetz, the greatest musician of the 20th Century. BD did Buddy very well in '86 (and in '76, '77, '88, etc.).

We don't necessarily need 100 repeats of Malaguena, Channel One Suite, or Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor, but we need more of this style and other accessible music if we hope to attract non-musicians as fans of the activity. (However, I would LOVE BD to play Channel One again - it's been 23 years since the last time!!!!)

Maybe Chuck Mangione will have a new creative explosion and reclaim the title of "Composer to the Drum Corps World"!

It's kinda only been 7 years ...... but I understand this to mean THE ENTIRE SUITE and not what we got in 02.

I'm on the west coast and I could care less for BD this year... same with about 80% of the theater we saw quarterfinals in (In southern California).

Location has nothing to do with it. If my own corps put out a show that sucked, I would hate it.

Actually, if you "could care less," it means you cared a lot.

And with that, I agree with you. My theater was absolutely wild for the Blue Devils. (Southern California)

And with that, I agree with you. My theater was absolutely wild for the Blue Devils. (Southern California)

Here's the analogy :

The Concord Blue Devils Drum Corps = The Duke Blue Devils Basketball program.

Any further questions ?

Here's the analogy :

The Concord Blue Devils Drum Corps = The Duke Blue Devils Basketball program.

Any further questions ?

For both of you... could care less = they got a smattering of golf claps and a few people around me saying "I'm not buying that show, I don't get why its winning", while a few others were saying "I really don't like that show. They're good, but the show design sucks."

Santa Clara on the other hand, the theater went nuts.

As for Duke v Concord, I'll start digging Concord when they play some shows that are a little more interesting. Duke I'll never like. :tongue:

For both of you... could care less = they got a smattering of golf claps and a few people around me saying "I'm not buying that show, I don't get why its winning", while a few others were saying "I really don't like that show. They're good, but the show design sucks."

Santa Clara on the other hand, the theater went nuts.

As for Duke v Concord, I'll start digging Concord when they play some shows that are a little more interesting. Duke I'll never like. :tongue:

Oh. You mean they COULDN'T care less?

UCLA > Duke

BD is redefining the activity again much like Cavies did up until 06.

Is there a way they can become a fan favorite again by playing tunes again and still win? I think it would be great for everyone to love the Blue Devils again for what they play, as well as admiring them for being so great at the same time.

Those kids don't deserve boos like last night and surely BD can design a cutting edge show with music that just screams Blue Devils! :tongue:

I want to hear more developed musical lines from them and more complete tunes like they used to. It works for Crown, Phantom, SCV,etc? Let the fans hear you again and cheer!

What say you?

BD should do Adventures in Time and Bird and Bela in B-flat again. Most underrated BD show of all time IMO. Not sure if they (or anyone) could match the hornline from that year, but I think it would be a show most fans would LOVE. Especially considering how strong BD's guard and drums are now. Just a thought.

Edited by Feathers Up