Could Carolina Crown

like I said in the previous post, I wish them all well and you make a great point.... it is starting right this minute with concepts, ideas, how do we recruit? Where are the dollars coming from? What can we do better? The results from this year, like any other year where there has been a battle at the top.... will make next year better for you and me and everybody who loves drum corps.

Yeah and I am hoping for another year like this one, or even better.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually think 2 things kept them from winning this year. Guard was great, that wasn't it. Visual was pretty darn good, the only thing that needs improvement is foot technique and some rare upper body issues. The 2nd thing was the pit. Although the pit had great chops and contributed to the show at a high level ... they also had issues listening back and making things work.

It's all fine and good to be a friggin metronome up front .. but you also have to realize there are 100 other musicians behind you with distance delay and staging concerns. SCV was IMPECCABLE at holding things together up front this year. After listening to the APD from Quarters and from Atlanta ....... Crown had issues. Some of their passages were blazing fast and a bit heavy handed when the battery was exposed on low dynamic rolls .. it just flat out didn't line up. The hornline had a couple of ensemble ticks as well but there was marked improvement in each show. I'm speaking mostly of sub section runs and technical passages.

This show was far more demanding in that respect than some of the other corps up top. To me, SCV, Crown and Cadets had the most ensemble demand ... and were rewarded for that demand in my mind. Had them been spotless clean with that very same demand .. I think that factors in the win.

Fact is, they were close enough on percussion that those few ensemble ticks hurt them in percussion and ensemble caption and could have cost them their first title this year. I'm sure they know they have technique issues in marching but they performed well enough that it would have insignificant had they also won percussion.

Now I know some number crunchers will tell me I'm wrong because the music caption is added then divided in half ..... but this would also mean that BD would have scored lower than Crown and could possibly have affected their final caption scores in drums (BD).

All in all .. a .2 different in Ensemble, another .2 in Percussion to me equals a .5 difference in Music GE. That puts them right in the ballpark. That said, I don't think programming was the issue. They got credit there. It was very minor execution issues ............

The only tweaks for next year are a stronger visual basics WINTER .... stricter standards at move in ... and reiteration throughout the summer. Everything else is right where it should be.

The only tweaks for next year are a stronger visual basics WINTER .... stricter standards at move in ... and reiteration throughout the summer. Everything else is right where it should be.

I would mostly agree with that. I think what too many corps do is write ridiculously hard drill that never gets as clean as it needs to, or on rare occasion write drill that is a lacking demand slightly and never get enough credit it put the corps higher in placement. That's obviously INSANELY hard line to ride, and I think there are very few drill writers who have this skill dialed in on a consistent level. On top of what you mentioned (better technique/marching basics), as well as a better guard (they were 4th at finals, which also effected their 5th place Visual Ensemble score a little bit), and they WILL win DCI. Their pit might've had some MINOR issues, but you don't come in 2nd place in Percussion and 1st in Music Ensemble with tempo issues. I wasn't in Indy so I didn't see their final run, but I don't remember any pit tears during the Semi's webcast. I think musically Crown is dialed in and good to go for a Championship run (obviously, they won brass and music ensemble, as well as Over-all Music). With better basics and cleaner drill their GE Visual score goes up (for as difficult that it was, it was never clean enough to get the credit in GE Visual) as well as their Visual scores, and they win DCI

I would mostly agree with that. I think what too many corps do is write ridiculously hard drill that never gets as clean as it needs to, or on rare occasion write drill that is a lacking demand slightly and never get enough credit it put the corps higher in placement. That's obviously INSANELY hard line to ride, and I think there are very few drill writers who have this skill dialed in on a consistent level. On top of what you mentioned (better technique/marching basics), as well as a better guard (they were 4th at finals, which also effected their 5th place Visual Ensemble score a little bit), and they WILL win DCI. Their pit might've had some MINOR issues, but you don't come in 2nd place in Percussion and 1st in Music Ensemble with tempo issues. I wasn't in Indy so I didn't see their final run, but I don't remember any pit tears during the Semi's webcast. I think musically Crown is dialed in and good to go for a Championship run (obviously, they won brass and music ensemble, as well as Over-all Music). With better basics and cleaner drill their GE Visual score goes up (for as difficult that it was, it was never clean enough to get the credit in GE Visual) as well as their Visual scores, and they win DCI

Not having a tear doesn't meant it's clean. Yes they may have won those captions but they could have DOMINATED those captions and forced BD into a lower score in said captions. I agree that 4th in guard would affect the visual ensemble score, but I'm a firm believer that if you can win all music captions you will win GE Music .. and that equals WIN if your visual captions are close enough.

Why not? I mean, I totally understand that the "traditional" top 3 have consistent staff and are always forces with which to be reckoned, but why can't Carolina Crown simply be better than ALL of those corps next year- why is that so unlikely?

I didn't say Crown " couldn't ". I said that the odds were overwhelmingly against it happening, and that it's unlikely. Crown has never beaten BD. Lets not forget this. Crown, in my opinion has an equal if not better chance of finishing LOWER in placement next year, than higher. I think Crown's chances of finishing 3rd ( or lower ) next year is at least better than their chances of beating all 3 of these Corps in the same year to win it all.

If on the other hand, you think it's " likely " that Crown will beat all three of BD, Cadets, Cavs ( and all others ) next year to win it all, that's cool too.

Edited by BRASSO

Why not? I mean, I totally understand that the "traditional" top 3 have consistent staff and are always forces with which to be reckoned, but why can't Carolina Crown simply be better than ALL of those corps next year- why is that so unlikely?

every year brings new ideas and challenges.

It's been great to hear some very intelligent feedback on this. Personally, I believe they CAN take it all next year, and they have my best wishes of luck in that regard.

They have as much of a chance as The Cadets and Cavaliers. BD truly is the team to beat, and Crown hasn't ever done that yet.