Drum Major salutes.....

salute or not to salute?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. With corps using the "running start" to their show, does it bother you that the DM's don't salute?

• Yes
    • No
    • didn't notice
    • I don't care either way. Corps should do whatever they want.

I've noticed the there are a lot of DM's not saluting when they are asked to take the field. In most cases it is because of the "running start" to their show. This isn't the first year that this is occurred but it seemed more prevalent this year.

To me I'm bothered by it. I understand that the DM is conducting the corps but couldn't they take 20 seconds to turn around and acknowledge the announcer and audience? I just feel like its a sign of disrespect on a somewhat long standing tradition.

Edited by hrnguy500

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It bothers me, most of the time. But I can let it slide when a show's running start is so important to the overall product that I don't even notice. (Phantom 08 comes to mind)

To me, honestly, it's right up there with an honor guard - if you want one, great, but it's not necessary in this day and age of DCI. These are stage performances on the field - I honestly don't have a problem treating them as such.

Mike

The DM salute really serves one purpose that is a holdover from the "Is your corps ready" announcement....it says to the announcer that the corps IS ready.

With the running start and the timing of the announcements it's not as necessary for that purpose.

Even though I'd rather see a good one (and always looked forward to doing it myself), if conducting is necessary for the transition from pre-show to competitive show, I can deal with it.

There are worse things to worry about.

Some of the salutes seem contrived and silly anyway. Check that. Most of the salutes ...

HH

There have been some over the top salutes but most of them are pretty straight forward which is what it should be.

There have been some over the top salutes but most of them are pretty straight forward which is what it should be.

I think the extremes I saw went from Blue Stars being the most conservative (which was fine) to Blue Knights DM salute with the whacky knee-jerk thing and okay sign, which was waaaaaayyy over-the-top.

It does bother me, and while it certainly doesn't make or break anything, I'd much prefer it happen, even if it requires a quick break from conducting or is done "in character".