• I marched DCI and am/was a music major
    • I marched DCI and am/was NOT a music major
    • I never marched and am/was a music major
    • I never marched and am/was NOT a music major

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of years later I taught a marching band and loved it, and tried the music major thing again, but my heart just wasn't in it. I taught two more seasons of marching band, but by the end of the second season (of the 3) I knew that teaching band was not for me. I would love it if it was [for me], but alas it is not so I pursue my other love full-time.

do you still help with a marching band on the side? It's a good way to be involved in something you liked, but doesn't come with all the extra stuff that being a HS band director does.

Add another category. The "Non-music major that never marched DCI, but marched in a Corps Style college marching band."

I know things have changed drastically since the 70's and 80's, but back then the non-music majors were BY FAR the best performers on the field while I was at LSU. The music majors were so used to playing in Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble, they just couldn't get enough volume out of their horns. And, they didn't like getting all "Hot and Sweaty" outside.........

When I went to Southeastern Louisiana University back in the early '80's, the music majors could play circles around the non-music majors. They just did not have the work ethic and skills that the "majors" had. Marching and playing was their greatest challenge. They just could not get that big sound and put the air through the horns like we could. Seeing all the different corps jackets at band practice was also a hype. Saginaires, Crossmen, Regiment, Colts, Southernaires, Suncoast Sound, Sky Ryders, Troopers et al. Oddly, the non music majors that marched corps kept right up with the "majors". We had a really cool thing happening until Will Rapp decided to leave, after recruiting us all down there. The younger ones left and went home to college, the older ones finished up. It was never the same and I really loved SE LA and the area.

When I went to Southeastern Louisiana University back in the early '80's, the music majors could play circles around the non-music majors. They just did not have the work ethic and skills that the "majors" had. Marching and playing was their greatest challenge. They just could not get that big sound and put the air through the horns like we could. Seeing all the different corps jackets at band practice was also a hype. Saginaires, Crossmen, Regiment, Colts, Southernaires, Suncoast Sound, Sky Ryders, Troopers et al. Oddly, the non music majors that marched corps kept right up with the "majors". We had a really cool thing happening until Will Rapp decided to leave, after recruiting us all down there. The younger ones left and went home to college, the older ones finished up. It was never the same and I really loved SE LA and the area.
Did they not have the work ethic, or did they not have the time? I found it difficult to practice even an hour each day because music had to take a back seat to my professional studies. Skills, well, I agree there. Obviously a music major - in general - should be more skilled than a non-music major. Just as an econ major should know more about Keynesian economic theory than a music major.

well...it looks like the "non-music majors" have it for both marching in DCI and people who never marched but enjoy the activity.

It also looks like history seems to be a dominate major for DCI members! :doh:

I guess now I'm wondering for a music activity why more "non-music majors" are marching than music majors? I know that this is not the most legit way for getting information but from the data collected it seesm to be this way.

Did they not have the work ethic, or did they not have the time? I found it difficult to practice even an hour each day because music had to take a back seat to my professional studies. Skills, well, I agree there. Obviously a music major - in general - should be more skilled than a non-music major. Just as an econ major should know more about Keynesian economic theory than a music major.

They had alot more time than the music majors, for sure. Three classes was a full load for regular kids. Music majors had classes all day, plus ensemble classes, plus mandatory practice room time. Our days were very full and we even had recital and concert attendance requirements other than our own performances. My original point was that the kids that marched were the best and had the best work ethic and skills, whether music major or not. Any of them could have been music majors, they were just smart enough at an early age to pick a better money making major! :doh:

Marching Band.

BS Biology, MA education.