Teal Sound

but you really just seem like an immature jerk that stamps his foot and pouts just because a corps does a show differently than the way you think they should. You may be "oldschool" and all that, but seriously dude, grow up and get over yourself.

I resemble that remark. In fact, I resemble Howard Beale, the anchorman from the movie Network, brilliantly portrayed by Peter Finch. I can't tell you how many times at DBC shows this year, I wanted to get up and yell "I am mad as hell at DCI, and I am not going to take it anymore!"

Seriously, I am deeply angry and frustrated with the state of affairs of DBC today.

If I let my disdain and vitriol pour out sometimes, well, it is for good reason.

I see the activity I love rotting from the inside. I see short-sighted, short-term thinking everywhere. What I love best about DBC - its heritage and its traditions - is being destroyed. It is being trashed, for short-term economic gain. And it is happening with the full knowledge and consent, of the current leadership of DCI. IMHO, their mismanagement of the DBC activity has been shameful.

===========================================

Teal is simply the most extreme example, so they have been the subject of much of my criticism. There are other culprits, and many others that have been complicit in this crime against humanity. Spirit may actually be worse. I saw Spirit's show as well this year, and I was deeply saddened - appauled, actually.

I expected to see the Spirit of old. I expected their horn line of 1980 to come out, and blast away to Georgia On My Mind. Instead, I saw a show with a lot of vocalizations I couldn't hear, about a topic I couldn't care less about. It was beyond disappointing.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey oldschooldbc, what are your thoughts on SCV Cadets?

Solid drum corps, all-around. No weaknesses whatsoever. Loved their show design this year - pure class. I have come to expect nothing less from that organization, at either the OC or WC level. :shutup:

Solid drum corps, all-around. No weaknesses whatsoever. Loved their show design this year - pure class. I have come to expect nothing less from that organization, at either the OC or WC level. :shutup:

Ok, so clearly it's not the electronics technology you have a problem with as SCV-C made heavy use of their synthesizer, far more than Teal did. SCVC synthed most of their brass book, which allowed their hornline to sound much larger, an effect that worked really well for them, and one that I think more Open Class corps will use in the future.

Ok, so clearly it's not the electronics technology you have a problem with as SCV-C made heavy use of their synthesizer, far more than Teal did. SCVC synthed most of their brass book, which allowed their hornline to sound much larger, an effect that worked really well for them, and one that I think more Open Class corps will use in the future.

Honestly, I didn't notice the synthesizer in their show at all.

And if I didn't notice it, this raises the question: Why have a synthesizer in the show, to begin with?

Honestly, I didn't notice the synthesizer in their show at all.

And if I didn't notice it, this raises the question: Why have a synthesizer in the show, to begin with?

SCV Cadets' use of synthesizer was extensive, but they blended it well. Like I said previously, it allowed their brassline to sound much larger than it really was. In Open Class, I think it was a genius move on the part of their design team...and equally as innovative as what Teal did, just in a different way. I think you're going to see more Open corps follow their lead and double brass parts in the synth.

But I think I made my point :)

Hey Teal Sound,

I enjoyed last year's show more than this one, but appreciate all the effort and work and innovation that you guys did. You are a classy corp, and I wish you well. As far as which show I like better, that is purely personal preference.

Good Luck!

"The Velvet Rope" absolutely blew me away. When the rock band was supposed to front, it did, and when it was supposed to blend, it did.

I honestly didn't expect it to work as well as it did. The rock band was used for flavor, indeed, but I never felt it was intrusive.

It skillfully became another segment of the pit.

Personally, I think this show will have more of an impact on the activity once other corps see how these instruments can be used in good taste.

And I marched in the mid-1970s when I had to wear a xylophone around my neck. And that was considered blasphemy by some fans.

Time moves on and with it, we are exposed to things we couldn't even imagine a few years before.

In order to survive, Drum Corps as an activity must evolve. An orchestra can use electronics, contras, even marching percussion if it wanted. It would still be an orchestra. Drum Corps, no matter the instrumentation, will still be Drum Corps.

That being said, I have many friends who marched with Teal this year, and I'm going to be auditioning for them next year. I enjoyed their show, and I can't wait to see what they bring to World Class.

What if the haters go away - and stop buying tickets, stop buying merchandise, stop paying tour fees, and stop cutting donation checks?

Randy can run his drum corps any way he wants to. If he can manage to keep his corps on tour and pay the bills, good for him. He will not see a dime of my money, so long as they continue to put on shows like the one I saw last Saturday. Period.

I will never buy a piece of Teal merchandise, or cut them a donation check. And if my son wants to march Teal someday, he will have to work a couple of summers at the Dairy Queen, to pay for it.

I simply cannot abide what passes from drum corps today. Appauling. A rock band fronting for a drum corps? Outrageous.

At one point in life someone called Elvis and the Beatles outrageoues too. Randy, Don't worry about his loss of money as I will be a new donor and merch buyer.