Will DCA Finals Weekend be scheduled some other time?

Dont know if this subject has been touched on but with high schools and colleges starting earlier will there

ever be a time when DCA will have to schedule their finals before Labor Day.

I can see DCA putting their championships one week after DCI and who knows maybe before..GASP!!!!

I can see corps who depends on DCI members to plug up their holes not agree but in the long term

will keeping DCI finals during the Labor Day weekend hurt it?

and discuss...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never happen, this is DCA not kids with school to go to, the season only lasts so long, there are shows a week before DCA and people who work have labor day weekend off It's a perfect time!

Actually, this is interesting....I personally don't see it happening and now that "senior" corps is now all-age corps, we are seeing much younger members in our ranks. (The Caballeros have numerous HS and college age members). With the activity for these units still being weekend only, I don't see DCA changing to an earlier time. If you go back in history, drum corps seasons, when primarily weekend based with MAYBE a short week or two tour, the season went to Labor Day weekend and occasionally the weekend after! (Anyone remember the Boonton Nationals???)

I am all for keeping DCA championships during Labor Day weekend. Let's keep some tradition alive in this ever changing activity. Frankly, with all the changes, it is hard to call it drum and bugle corps anymore. It really is professional level marching brass and drums.

Also, DCA....no electronics in all age corps ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. And realize that these are my opinions, not that of the corps I am with.

Well with younger people going into DCA (and that is a good thing) there is going to be a time where the majority of members of corps will have to book it before the Labor Day weekend.

I personally can see a shift to moving it before the Labor Day weekend within 5-10 years.

Some of the corps had under 21ers in the 70s (raising my hand) but problem was coming back from moving in at college to do DCA Prelims/Finals. Question is how many HS age members are in non-Norhteast corps. Those would be the ones to miss a day or so of school for DCA Weekend.

with the extra day available for travel, i dont see Labor Day weekend being changed

Seems to work perfect right now.

We have lots of high school and college kids now in Kilties (all season, not DCI hole-fillers). They manage.

And Labor Day (3-day weekend) makes it work.

It's not broke. No need to fix.

Plus, August is when all the DCA action is. Your "Weekend before DCI" would end the DCA season on the first of August/End of July. Not in a majillion years.

Guap -- love ya man, but...

Edited by dannyboy

Never happen, this is DCA not kids with school to go to . . .

REALLY??? You really think that???

WOW it's not like kids in DCA corps are a recent thing either...They were there when I first joined a DCA corps in 1991 and I was one of those college kids too...And I'm sure they were there long before that. There weren't as many high schoolers involved as there are now, but there were high schoolers marching then as well. Now the majority of corps have huge portions of the corps made up with "youngin's".

What year did the you have to be over 21 rule change for DCA corps? Because I'm sure the first high schooler joined the following year. :unhappy:

Never happen, this is DCA not kids with school to go to, the season only lasts so long, there are shows a week before DCA and people who work have labor day weekend off It's a perfect time!

We have a BUNCH of high school and college kids in Kilties. But they also come in as any other member, aware of Labor Day weekend -- AND Kiltie season actually "ends" 2nd weekend AFTER DCA with concert performance at our biggest fundraising benefit: Great Lakes Brew Fest. www.greatlakesbrewfest.com

It is not so much the weekend itself, but the week of corps rehearsal and such the week before the championships. I am assuming that nearly everyone is on a pretty hard-corps schedule the week before? I know I have to take three days of vacation before and we don't have any drill to clean. For many college-age kids, that is maybe the third week of school. Having to take a week off at that point doesn't sound very workable.

Sure it all works at this point, but if the All-Age activity does indeed take off and grow as much as everyone seems to want it to then this may be something that might need to change regardless of history. Depends on the age of the membership and the needs of the corps.