Will DCA Finals Weekend be scheduled some other time?

Actually, more tickets were sold for this year's show than last year's show in Scranton.

But the point is well-taken.....that Scranton show would be better off if it wasn't going head-to-head with DCI East. to paraphrase something I said in another thread, DCI East tends to attract a bunch of "traditional" drum corps fans who might be willing to give DCA a try if there was no DCI East pilgrimage to make.

Now....DCA championships not on Labor Day weekend? IMO, that would be tough to do.

And certainly, the DCA title show should NOT be early or mid-August, like the week after DCI's title show....again, IMO. As things stand now, the all-age corps really need those last couple of weeks from mid-August to Labor Day weekend to round into "championship form."

Fran

center square for the win Peter

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, I was saying that DCA should be scheduled within the next two weekends (not scheduled for two separate weekends). This eliminates every limitation that DCA has. But of course I see that some DCPers do not see any limitations, so I reiterate: colleges generally start the week before Labor Day, thus preventing students from marching in DCA and making the corps smaller (especially for those students who are not already drum corps experienced), teachers already have begun teaching making it hard for them to do DCA (especially those not living in the Northeast), the weather usually sucks on Labor Day weekend (it's hurricane season and almost always rains), and DCA can only get bids from inferior stadiums (football season has started already on Labor Day weekend thus those stadiums cannot be used, therefore no bids can be submitted).

Now if recruiting people to be into these DCA corps, weather, and better stadiums are not important to the activity, then status quo, baby!

I think the audiences will grow due to all these advantages as well: better venues across the nation, bigger and better drum corps to watch, and beautiful summer weather.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a smart ### (well..maybe a little), I'm trying to help the activity. I think drum corps needs to be completed during the summer for all these listed reasons plus I like the summer. Going into September is not the best way to do this. I really don't think the DCA championships are as perfect as some suggest and when you start believing that, that is when the activity gets stale. Yes, keep the championships away from DCI weekend and yes, make sure there is a couple of weeks for corps to load up, but I think that is all doable and needs to be explored. Then maybe the DCA championships can start traveling around the country and grow into the national organization it wants to become (another topic for another day).

it rains every year on Labor Day weekend?

I can think of 5 times DCA was affected by rain, and 3 where it rained but didnt cause massive issues

1990...show delayed a bit

2002...a little rain at prelims and a little at finals

that's 18% of DCA's history.

as for bids....do you have a big name stadium willing to bid for it earlier? also....will a DCA sized crowd look good in a major football stadium? I know what Winston Salem looked like. that wasnt pretty.

a bigger stadium will not draw a bigger crowd. look at Winston Salem

I go to college and DCA doesn't affect school negatively at all :shutup:

Edited by UWGKKpsi

as for bids....do you have a big name stadium willing to bid for it earlier? also....will a DCA sized crowd look good in a major football stadium? I know what Winston Salem looked like. that wasnt pretty.

a bigger stadium will not draw a bigger crowd. look at Winston Salem

. . .to be fair, though, it did rain cats and dogs before the W-S show, and didn't let up until it was about to start, really.

Then again, NC can't even get a DCI show scheduled now, much less a DCA one. :shutup:

true. i dont think $40 for a 6 corps show helped...hasnt helped YEA.

and hurricanes (not the corps, the storms) have affected DCA what...3 times in 45 years (87, 99, 06)

that excuse needs to go back into the shadows

true. i dont think $40 for a 6 corps show helped...hasnt helped YEA.

and hurricanes (not the corps, the storms) have affected DCA what...3 times in 45 years (87, 99, 06)

that excuse needs to go back into the ######s

:shutup::lol:

:lol:

Actually, I was saying that DCA should be scheduled within the next two weekends (not scheduled for two separate weekends). This eliminates every limitation that DCA has. But of course I see that some DCPers do not see any limitations, so I reiterate: colleges generally start the week before Labor Day, thus preventing students from marching in DCA and making the corps smaller (especially for those students who are not already drum corps experienced), teachers already have begun teaching making it hard for them to do DCA (especially those not living in the Northeast), the weather usually sucks on Labor Day weekend (it's hurricane season and almost always rains), and DCA can only get bids from inferior stadiums (football season has started already on Labor Day weekend thus those stadiums cannot be used, therefore no bids can be submitted).

Now if recruiting people to be into these DCA corps, weather, and better stadiums are not important to the activity, then status quo, baby!

I think the audiences will grow due to all these advantages as well: better venues across the nation, bigger and better drum corps to watch, and beautiful summer weather.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a smart ### (well..maybe a little), I'm trying to help the activity. I think drum corps needs to be completed during the summer for all these listed reasons plus I like the summer. Going into September is not the best way to do this. I really don't think the DCA championships are as perfect as some suggest and when you start believing that, that is when the activity gets stale. Yes, keep the championships away from DCI weekend and yes, make sure there is a couple of weeks for corps to load up, but I think that is all doable and needs to be explored. Then maybe the DCA championships can start traveling around the country and grow into the national organization it wants to become (another topic for another day).

Smoothy,,

While I agree with everything you said.It was wasted typing.

Now back to practicing. :shutup:

:shutup:

Hurricane season starts June 1st. Due to that fact, let's have championships prior to that date. It will help DCA a whole lot...:lol:

As far as moving championships up to 2 weeks after DCI, I see that affecting far more kids due to band camps for both college and high school, as well as college move in weekend...

Let's face it. Some schools are already back in session. There is no set guideline to follow as far as schools go. Despite the shots being taken at DCA by some, i'm sure if the DCA officials felt that holding it Labor Day weekend was a problem, they'd be addressing it...

College start times depend somewhat on what scedule the school is on... IE: Semesters or quarters.

Rainfall is something we all just have to live with, from time to time. Steel City Ambassadors got rained on occasionally, In the 80's! :shutup: