Dan Acheson should be fired

Look, I wasn't there, so maybe I'm just "shooting off my mouth."

There was ALWAYS an anti-dome bias among drum corps fans. Was this dome really that bad? I don't know, but it could just be a matter of some folks wanting it (Indy) to be bad, and that's what they experienced.

I'm also considering the problem of those plastic panel, obstructed view seats. There is NO excuse for selling seats like that. Those seats should have been identified beforehand, pulled from the "sales block" and used as comp tickets, staff seating, radio giveaways, etc. That issue can be corrected.

Adding an additional $7 per ticket charge to all walk-up sales. IF this was a DCI-controlled decision, it was a WRONG decision.

Calling a seat outside the twenties a Premium, highest price seat, was a WRONG decision. Our performances really don't work as well beyond that distance, especially if you are seated low.

Keeping the roof closed? Not sure DCI had a say in this, plus, there's no evidence having it opened would have improved the sound anyway.

Locating the Marketplace where it was? There was what DCI felt best IN THE INITIAL YEAR. They might now have learned something else is better and will change for next year.

Contracting for Indy for the next several years? I believe that made lots of sense to the DCI board, and I pretty much concur.

I DO believe a dome Finals is what DCI needs. I hope the sound issues can be improved for year two.

Should Dan Acheson be fired? Absolutely not!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I wasn't there, so maybe I'm just "shooting off my mouth."

There was ALWAYS an anti-dome bias among drum corps fans. Was this dome really that bad? I don't know, but it could just be a matter of some folks wanting it (Indy) to be bad, and that's what they experienced.

I'm also considering the problem of those plastic panel, obstructed view seats. There is NO excuse for selling seats like that. Those seats should have been identified beforehand, pulled from the "sales block" and used as comp tickets, staff seating, radio giveaways, etc. That issue can be corrected.

Adding an additional $7 per ticket charge to all walk-up sales. IF this was a DCI-controlled decision, it was a WRONG decision.

Calling a seat outside the twenties a Premium, highest price seat, was a WRONG decision. Our performances really don't work as well beyond that distance, especially if you are seated low.

Keeping the roof closed? Not sure DCI had a say in this, plus, there's no evidence having it opened would have improved the sound anyway.

Locating the Marketplace where it was? There was what DCI felt best IN THE INITIAL YEAR. They might now have learned something else is better and will change for next year.

Contracting for Indy for the next several years? I believe that made lots of sense to the DCI board, and I pretty much concur.

I DO believe a dome Finals is what DCI needs. I hope the sound issues can be improved for year two.

Should Dan Acheson be fired? Absolutely not!

YES

The DCI organization (BOD, CEO, Staff) have been following a business model that is 27 years old. I think it's time to re-visit and update the DCI business model, an look forward on how we can improve the activity through constructive and thoughtful changes based upon a strategy built upon a) economic realities; b) fan (read: ticket buyer) wishes; c) lessons learned from the last 27 years.

Yes.

cowtown,

I think you are over oversimplifying the problem (and the solution).

Dan Acheson was hired by the top 12 (at that time) DCI directors to carry out the wishes of those same 12 individuals. He's done that, and maybe more. Afterall, it is those same 12 who pay him, and can let him go. He's also a drum corps guy.

If those same 12 wanted 2009 DCI Finals held in Iraq, Dan would have worked just as hard as he did for Indy, to make Iraq happen.

Let's all calm down.

Please.

What Fred said.

Except the Iraq part. I understand Baghdad Municipal Stadium has very poor sightlines. :unhappy:

Fran

I'm so far removed by some of what is being discussed this year.

Here is what I know.

DCI is still around.

I can enjoy it even more this far away.

I have every DVD they have produced.

I live and breath this activity. Not a single person around me understands why.

I download so many MP3s from the Fan Network during the summer that the marketing people would put a big "L" on my forehead.

I thought Phantom winning last year would make me immune to whatever happened this year. I fooled myself big time.

I've spoken to Dan's son when I've ordered stuff from DCI. What a nice guy. If only Dell Computers would learn how to be nice like he was.....

I want to call Michael Boo "Sponge Boo Square DCI" He gets to live this all year - lucky him!

This is a really good thread.

My $.02:

I wasn't there, but I WAS planning on going once during the next 10 years. Now I'm really not sure, especially considering the travel costs from California.

I've never seen a drum corps event indoors/indomes, but I imagine the sound bounces off the walls to the point where the music can't really be enjoyed, and everything I've read seems to verify my beliefs.

Dan is not the problem, the "vision" of the BOD is the problem. Synths are a horribly bad idea. They make amps and narration seem unnecessarily like traditions. Who's idea was that? BOD. Finals for 10 years in a stadium that 30% of drum corps fans (read: West Coast Fans) live over 1500 miles away. Who's idea? BOD. An indoor stadium gets the 10 year contract, a stadium no drum corps has EVER played in. Who's idea? BOD.

DCI needs to take a look at where they have been and where they need to go (not want) and who will get them there -- the FANS. If you lose the fans - the blind and the incredibly aware - then everything is lost.

Fix it DCI. Fix it BOD. Fix it Dan.

Honestly? There's little excuse for someone (DCI or the Stadium people) to not have brought in an acoustical engineer/sound designer to assess the plans for the stadium.

Could have answered a lot of questions up-front.

LOS was designed for the NFL football Colts. Anything else is just icing on the cake.....

Edited by dcpacheco

LOS was designed for the NFL football Colts. Anything else is just icing on the cake.....

lol, i was just about to comment b4 edit...

Waaay funnier when it just said "Colts"! (who I had in the 12 spot!)

(DCI - Wednesday, August 9, 2006)

How can DCI do this, without knowing what drum corps will sound like inside the stadium?

DCI did not research what the sound would be like in Denver, Foxboro, or the newly renovated Camp Randall Stadium and has produced highly successful events in those venues. In all cases, there were and will be acoustical challenges. The experience DCI has had now in three domes gives the organization significant confidence that a hard structure retractable roof will allow for a successful acoustical event, sight unseen. If the acoustics are indeed a problem at Lucas Oil Stadium, remedies to DCI’s satisfaction are included as a part of the agreement

As this seems to be one of the most immediate complaints, I am wondering just what the remedies mentioned in the FAQ are. I would be interested in any info that DCI could share with fans to possibly alleviate concerns about future performances at this venue.

The DCI organization (BOD, CEO, Staff) have been following a business model that is 27 years old. I think it's time to re-visit and update the DCI business model, an look forward on how we can improve the activity through constructive and thoughtful changes based upon a strategy built upon a) economic realities; b) fan (read: ticket buyer) wishes; c) lessons learned from the last 27 years.

I agree very much with this.