How many can say.....

Spirits show alone is reason to say how right I was againts "synths" .....A show that is based upon a guitar in the center of the action is not drum corps, not creative and not anything I want to see in a drum corps show , call the wah-mbulance, call me a dinosaur, I dont care, Im quite progressiv and open minded but when you need these tools, crutches and creative restraints to create a desired effect that has been working well all along, then you really need new designers and creative staff that would rather use their imagination and creativity then rely on some gimmick or shortcut.

And I am a true gentelman also.

G

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt it was used well by corps like SCV, BD, CC, and HNC. I felt it was used badly by Spirit (and possibly a few others that aren't coming as immediately to mind). That seems about par. To me, it's no different than brass, percussion, and colorguard or any other element of drum corps...some will use the resources available to them very effectively, others will not. It doesn't make those resources inherently good or bad.

On a somewhat related note, I find it ironic that on the Q-finals APD's the element you hear LEAST is the synths. You hear some over-amping of the pit at times (again, depending on the corps) but whenever ANY corps (in my listenings) went to a section where it was solely supposed to be the syth you can't hear squat. This is very likely because the syths feed directly into the speakers rather than having a sound unto themselves so tha synth sound comes out of the sides of the pit rather than down the middle (where the microphones were) and thus the sound doesn't get picked up effectively. Again, ironic...

I was wrong....the synths sucked even more than I thought possible from the elite in the business using them.

On a somewhat related note, I find it ironic that on the Q-finals APD's the element you hear LEAST is the synths. You hear some over-amping of the pit at times (again, depending on the corps) but whenever ANY corps (in my listenings) went to a section where it was solely supposed to be the syth you can't hear squat. This is very likely because the syths feed directly into the speakers rather than having a sound unto themselves so tha synth sound comes out of the sides of the pit rather than down the middle (where the microphones were) and thus the sound doesn't get picked up effectively. Again, ironic...

The field A/V crew was placing mics right in front of each corps' pit speakers....that should have picked up the synth sound.

I've only heard a couple of quarterfinals recordings so far. Which corps have you heard this problem with?

Maybe I am missing something. If you take away the percussion section, was the dynamic level of SCV's company front solely a result of the horn line’s efforts or was it enhanced/padded with the synth?

I am pretty sure the company front had a helping hand...

Maybe I am missing something. If you take away the percussion section, was the dynamic level of SCV's company front solely a result of the horn line’s efforts or was it enhanced/padded with the synth?

Of course it was affected by the synth....as well as horn sound bleeding into the pit amplification mix, in all likelihood.

I agree that the first-year experiment had its highs and lows. We heard one or two corps overwhelm the audience with the use of electronics. Other corps so subtly placed the effect in the show that I hardly had any idea of its presence, yet the accentuation points seemed to draw a greater result.

All in all, it sounded like some corps just didn't have the expertise to properly EQ and level the equipment for the most optimal results.

But in the end, it still seems like a good idea to me. I'm for it! :)

Honestly, I liked the use of the synths and other electronic instruments. For my taste, they add a lot to the activity. I know some will not like it, and that's cool. And I do agree that there were times the volume was simply too much. But that's a balance issue and I have felt that way with the amplified pits as well. Sometimes I worry about the training and the ears of these "so called musicians" working in the pit area.

That said, I enjoyed the new sounds. I know the argument is "why not be creative and figure a way to get the brass to emulate the sounds you want with synths, etc.?" However, for me, I don't always want to hear the brass emulate something when I can just hear that "something." Even if it is a sampled piano vs. the real thing. Still, it's neat and gives us new colors without putting woodwinds on the field, and it does allow us the ability to balance those sounds with the brass as best we can. Some do this better than others.

Also, the synth bass stuff will be a hot topic, no doubt, but I like it. There are times that the contras just can't produce the sub-woofer frequencies often needed in popular music, or in popular arrangements of that music. Tubas/contras can be amazing, but also suffer when played too loud (where they get that trash can effect), and they suffer from ability to project at great distances when playing super low parts. The two can be used quite differently, and it is easy for my ears to hear the difference between the two. I like both and see a need for both. Certainly that is a controversial point, but to me it is the new sound of the drum and bugle corps. These corps now have the opportunity to present more authentic sounds (jazz bass, rhythm perc, keys, tines, strings) when the music calls for such styles and colors.

It's not strict drum & bugle corps, I do understand that. But then again, when was the last time it was strict drum & bugle corps?