Lucas Oil Stadium Roof

Was it that hard to puzzle out? :doh:

it was them or DCI. which to many is more and more the same thing

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word from a very reliable source in DCI (who is not to be named) is that the corps directors were given the decision and they voted to leave the roof closed.

One condition of the roof being open would have been that the huge backdrop covering the seats on the opposite side of the field would have to be taken down (safety concern in the event a wind picked it up) - so cost was somewhat of a factor, but worst would have been the lack of the backdrop (absorbing at least SOME of the echo) if they had to close the roof partway through one evening.

In addition, many of them heard about the scorching temperatures both on the field and in the stands during the Colts game on a warm, sunny day and didn't want to expose the corps or audience to that issue (especially seeing that the younger kids tend to be performing during the hottest part of the day).

Also, many of the color guard folk wanted it closed so there was no possibilty of wind affecting their kids' performances.

Word from a very reliable source in DCI (who is not to be named) is that the corps directors were given the decision and they voted to leave the roof closed.

One condition of the roof being open would have been that the huge backdrop covering the seats on the opposite side of the field would have to be taken down (safety concern in the event a wind picked it up) - so cost was somewhat of a factor, but worst would have been the lack of the backdrop (absorbing at least SOME of the echo) if they had to close the roof partway through one evening.

In addition, many of them heard about the scorching temperatures both on the field and in the stands during the Colts game on a warm, sunny day and didn't want to expose the corps or audience to that issue (especially seeing that the younger kids tend to be performing during the hottest part of the day).

Also, many of the color guard folk wanted it closed so there was no possibilty of wind affecting their kids' performances.

so then no one should have dropped :doh:

Sounds like a rock and hard place decision, and those all seem reasonable except the last one. Give me a break, guard instructors. Whatever wind could get into that monolith would have to be less than what they routinely experience at the majority of other outdoor shows during the season.

A few things

Michael Boo said the acoustic baffles on the ceiling were not installed as a budget cut – seems that should be an 'out' of the contract right there. They did not delivery the stadium they said they would.

Anyone know what other cuts may have effected the planned acoustic?

The general shape of the stadium is really bad for acoustics... there were promises of an acoustical engineer on the team, what features were implemented, specifics?

I noticed a rolled up black curtain on the audience side, don’t know if it was as large…just an FYI

How many times did DCI actually go on site to test the sound, what were their thoughts and reports and what was the reaction to their findings?

I believe the countdown was filmed in the stadium – all one had to do was clap their hands on the field or yell to know that the echo was really bad – it’s idiocy to assume the curtain would have fixed that to any great extent. DCIer were at the BOA shows, so they did know how bad the sound was

Basically – DCI knew the sound would suck but lied to sell tickets just like it appears they knew it’d be a dome (then ensured it'd be a dome) but still lied to sell tickets.

It seems very deceptive and dishonest to me

My fears and expectations – DCI stays at the Oily Echo Dome, tries to open the roof and window next year which won’t really improve the sound all that much (because they have to remove the curtain). And then claims, we thought it’d be better but now we are stuck there for the next 8 years. Oh well, it’s not our faults, woe is me…the fans screamed when it was closed and now they are screaming with it open…..screw you fickle fans. DCI is very good at missing the point (that the sound is bad both ways), but goof at blaming fans and making excuses.

The building is very vertical so there would still be a ton of bounce before it escapes the roof – if they want to keep it in Indy they need a new venue period

But at the very least, Colts have a drumline, right? If not DCI’s office is walking distance to the stadium, I don’t think it would be too difficult for them to take a single snare or such over prior to a game when the roof is open to test the echo. It only takes one hit after all….you should of heard the ring from the single bass hit as a corps went off, well no, we shouldn’t heard the ring

I demand an end to their deceptive business practices and a lack of accountability

Edited by cowtown

I demand an end to their deceptive business practices and a lack of accountability

rofl.gif

Actually - they insisted that the roof stay closed because they knew that it would be too boring on DCP without dozens of threads about the LOS roof.

Thanks DCI!

LMAO :cool: