Cadets flag feature

Did anyone else notice the dance/flag solo in the Cadets show? I believe it was in "A Boy Like That"? I am a drummer and don't really know the technical side of guard, however, I was drawn into this feature every time I saw the 2009 Cadets. The young lady in the Cadets moved and spun with such precision and grace that it wowed me each time I saw it. What a wonderful design element in the Cadets show.

I agree. A friend of mine (designer/instructor for numerous top Calidornia guards) was going on about this feature being possibly the longest continuous flag statement he has ever seen in a show. And it was wonderfully written and performed.

Jeff Sacktig mentioned (on his commentary on Fan Network) that the end of that feature is particularly challenging for the guard as the corps is not playing in a tempo for 15 seconds or so while the last note is being held on the final impact. The guard virtually has no aural tempo to spin the flags to so they each have to visually look to the person at the front of the line to keep their spins in tempo across the guard. AMAZING!!!

Did anyone else notice the dance/flag solo in the Cadets show? I believe it was in "A Boy Like That"? I am a drummer and don't really know the technical side of guard, however, I was drawn into this feature every time I saw the 2009 Cadets. The young lady in the Cadets moved and spun with such precision and grace that it wowed me each time I saw it. What a wonderful design element in the Cadets show.

WHICH flag feature? The Cadets spin so much flag it's intimidating...

There were actually two solos at the same time in Boy Like That/I Have a Love, weren't there? A boy and a girl, one with green, one with orange. They each do separate solos and then come together when the split guard pairs up as well.

I think this section of their show is probably my favorite single moment from the whole season. It's just a textbook example of how strong color/visual/music design can effectively communicate an idea. It was universally understandable what was going on - the two halves of the corps playing different music, with each having moments of emphasis while the other faded back, framed with the contrasting colors. Then at the lush build they come together with the guard in the split color circle - together, but not yet united - the hornline is still somewhat apart.

During the solos, the rest of the guard files past each other in contrary motion lines and in one super effective moment does a simple flag movement that flashes the two colors against each other, before they spread into a block where the colors finally mix in paired work.

I don't think you could more clearly represent two warring sides who eventually unite as one. Just really, really well done. Plus the music, drill and guard work is just fantastic during all of it.

Edited by NakedEye

There were actually two solos at the same time in Boy Like That/I Have a Love, weren't there? A boy and a girl, one with green, one with orange. They each do separate solos and then come together when the split guard pairs up as well.

I think this section of their show is probably my favorite single moment from the whole season. It's just a textbook example of how strong color/visual/music design can effectively communicate an idea. It was universally understandable what was going on - the two halves of the corps playing different music, with each having moments of emphasis while the other faded back, framed with the contrasting colors. The at the lush build the come together with the guard in the split color circle - together, but not yet united - the hornline is still somewhat apart.

During the solos, the rest of the guard files past each other in contrary motion lines and in one super effective moment does a simple flag movement that flashes the two colors against each other, before they spread into a block where the colors finally mix in paired work.

I don't think you could more clearly represent two warring sides who eventually unite as one. Just really, really well done. Plus the music, drill and guard work is just fantastic during all of it.

It is too bad YOU weren't on the panel as a GE Visual judge! Very nice analysis and appreciation.

It is too bad YOU weren't on the panel as a GE Visual judge! Very nice analysis and appreciation.

:thumbup::devil::devil: I am not at all well versed in guard elements, but I was blown away by HNC's guard visual this year and how it worked in the overall program. they did get descent guard marks for the season, but why wasn't their visual program judged higher overall? I am truly confused by the whole visual/ge categoires

Great Job Cadets!