drum corps are not bands

I know alot of drum corps take offense to be calling a band. Why do they? Would an alumni or current member of a drum corp or just a fan please enlighten me on why. Is it because drum corps practice alot harder than bands?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know alot of drum corps take offense to be calling a band. Why do they? Would an alumni or current member of a drum corp or just a fan please enlighten me on why. Is it because drum corps practice alot harder than bands?

I used to get upset but now that they ARE bands, there is no longer an argument except with the name.

Thanks Harold Hill, you did a fine one on drum corps

All drum corps are marching bands but not all marching bands are drum corps. This has always been the case. A drum corps is just a very specific type of band.

Oh so sorry, wrong answer. Once upon a time there was a difference. It has not " always" been this way.

the line is getting thinner

but basically instrumentation is different.

an orchestra is not a band, but has some of the same instruments, and some different

a drum corps is not a band, but has some of the same instruments....and.... some different ...well up until 01...

still, I wouldn't call a brass choir or a woodwind quartet a band, so I'm not going to call a corps a band until they add woodwinds... which is hopefully never

long story short, to me it's the instrumentation, not the rehearsal pace/intensity/schedule.... if they add woodwinds they will just be a band that rehearses harder than school bands.

I used to get upset but now that they ARE bands, there is no longer an argument except with the name.

Thanks Harold Hill, you did a fine one on drum corps

:thumbup:

The difference between a marching band and a drum corps is far beyond what types of metal they hold in their hands all summer. And anyone who has marched should know this.

Oh so sorry, wrong answer. Once upon a time there was a difference. It has not " always" been this way.

Actually, that answer is technically correct.

A "Marching Band", by definition, is a group of musicians who perform while marching. Drum Corps has always fit that definition.

"Drum and Bugle Corps" is a subset of the broad "Marching Band" category for the purposes of classification.

The only differences between DCI corps and school marching bands are the instrumentation, rehearsal hours, and oftentimes, performance level, though plenty of school marching bands perform at as high or a higher level than a lot of DCI corps.

If it's people running around tooting on things, banging things, and spinning/tossing/danceing, then it's marching band. DCI corps are all marching bands. It's fricking marching band.

That is all.

The only differences between DCI corps and school marching bands are the instrumentation, rehearsal hours, and oftentimes, performance level, though plenty of school marching bands perform at as high or a higher level than a lot of DCI corps.

If it's people running around tooting on things, banging things, and spinning/tossing/danceing, then it's marching band. DCI corps are all marching bands. It's fricking marching band.

That is all.

Exactly