drum corps are not bands

Yes, I'm sure if I had marched in the Targets or Blue Saints and rehearsed on the weekends with a few local shows and a big trip at the end thrown in I'd have a much better understanding than I got from marching in a rigorous, highly competitive high school marching band program and winning the Bands of America Grand National Championships. So by all means, explain to me what makes a drum corps a drum corps.

as i said. its very hard to put into words. and without going through the experience of marching at those specific corps... i will not comment on their experience.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do street gangs with instruments compare with the highly polished marching bands featured today ?

I could answer that question but then I would have to kill you.

I was never in a marching band. I was in a drum and bugle corps. Make of that what you will. :cool:

Ahhhh, G wiz...............

Vocalists ? In an ochestra ?

I'm confused

Many orchestral works call for a choir that is part of the orchestra. Perhaps a better example would be that if you have a wind ensemble and you take out the woodwinds, you have a brass band, regardless of the experience the members have participating in the ensemble.

I could answer that question but then I would have to kill you.

Keep in mind, I was in a pretty low ranking corps so my street gang skills are much better than my music skills ! :cool:

Many orchestral works call for a choir that is part of the orchestra. Perhaps a better example would be that if you have a wind ensemble and you take out the woodwinds, you have a brass band, regardless of the experience the members have participating in the ensemble.

Ok, but you started with an ochestra, took out the winds and percussion, then stated all you have left are vocals......what happened to the strings ?

:cool:

I can SWEAR two or three years ago if you even MENTIONED "band" when referring to a drum corps the DCP hammer would drop upon you so fast it would make the fall of MC Hammer's career seem like an eternity. Has the opinion of most of you changed since then?

as i said. its very hard to put into words. and without going through the experience of marching at those specific corps... i will not comment on their experience.

So a drum corps is defined by the experience that its members have participating in it? I'm not aware of any other musical ensemble that works that way. I had an experience close to that of a good, limited touring open class corps in my high school marching band, does that mean I marched in a drum corps?

So a drum corps is defined by the experience that its members have participating in it? I'm not aware of any other musical ensemble that works that way. I had an experience close to that of a good, limited touring open class corps in my high school marching band, does that mean I marched in a drum corps?

no, it doesnt.

I cant explain it. March, and you'll know.