Differences between:

Where Im from, Cadets are known for beating the crap out of kids.

And this year they used relax knee, not perfect straight for forward marching technique.

ps, no matter how good the kid is, it might be very difficult to get a spot going against people who have marched before, even if he is as talented or more talented than them, vets from other corps will probably get priority if the skill level is similar.

Hmmm, makes me wonder where you are from.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets are not known for "beating the crap..." out of kids.

I think that sentiment is a throwback to the old days when the Cadets most definitely DID beat the crap out of their kids. In fairness, though, a lot of corps did so back then. The Cadets were just best at it. :thumbup:

A strong work ethic and an endless pursuit to perfection is not equivalent to beating the crap out of kids.

No, but there are some stories I could tell ya. :thumbup:

Here's one of the milder ones. One of the rookie sops was a half a step off his dot, so Mark Sylvester made him take a water break while the rest of the corps ran laps (hollering at him as they passed by each time, naturally).

Funny thing was, the sop player used to tell the story almost fondly. Go figure. :thumbup:

Here's one of the milder ones. One of the rookie sops was a half a step off his dot, so Mark Sylvester made him take a water break while the rest of the corps ran laps (hollering at him as they passed by each time, naturally).

Funny thing was, the sop player used to tell the story almost fondly. Go figure. :thumbup:

If that's true, then it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That' the least efficient way to fix errors imaginable. Nothing but a tremendous waste of energy.

I'll just assume it's not true.

If that's true, then it's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. That' the least efficient way to fix errors imaginable. Nothing but a tremendous waste of energy.

You're right, it's not efficient at fixing errors at all. I don't know if this particular story is true, but these sorts of things do happen, I've heard tons of stories like this, maybe even been part of a few. :thumbup:

running during rehearsal time set aside for other things is not efficient use of the time.

doesn't mean most corps don't run laps for punishment at some point.

running during rehearsal time set aside for other things is not efficient use of the time.

doesn't mean most corps don't run laps for punishment at some point.

It was more the machiavellian "offender takes a break while the rest are punished " thing that got my attention.

Remember Full Metal Jacket and the jelly donut?

Like that. :thumbup:

Before someone gets the wrong idea........

I've watched plenty of Cadets rehearsals over the past two years. They don't beat the crap out of the kids.

Yes, they work hard, but there is no punishment ever dished out. Practices are run efficiently and there is no wasted time. Members move quickly back to their spots on their own. Some members even take it upon themselves to practice or do physical training on their own time.

Often times, sets are repeated again and again. But, during the week of finals this year, the staff had trouble finding fault and the sets were only run a couple of times. The staff consistently passes out constructive criticism to help the corps improve. More often than not, the staff is praising and complimenting the corps for "great effort" or a "wonderful day of rehearsal". You really get the impression that the corps members demand more from the staff - not the other way around.

It's definitely not day care, but it's not Navy Seal training either.

WHAT?? Aren't or weren't you a Marine? You guys do that to each other all the time.

And if it is true, I would bet that kid would try his/her hardest to not make that mistake again.