Differences between:

As a mom whose daughter marched corps for four years, (Open Class and Bluecoats), if he is a High School student, there is nothing wrong with marching an Open Class corps to get your feet wet. If he is dead set on World Class there are a lot of factors to the decision making process.

Location of Corps, fees, the average age of a corps, (your going to have more High School students in an Open Class Corps), and very important talk to other parents and corps members and staff to see what their experiences have been.

Don't let him base his decision on where a corps has placed in finals. It is about the experience!

Good Luck!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHAT?? Aren't or weren't you a Marine? You guys do that to each other all the time.

And if it is true, I would bet that kid would try his/her hardest to not make that mistake again.

It does little to fix problems, but yes, unfortunatelly, there were some units I knew of who kept that kind of stuff up after basic training, where it's ubiquitous for very specific reasons that have no analog in drum corps. Sorry.

Having the whole group go out and run laps is a waste of energy even if it does make the one (or a few) people perform better for a little while out of fear.

More energy output does not equal better performance nor does peer pressure when trying to get somebody to remember 100% rote functions.

It does little to fix problems, but yes, unfortunatelly, there were some units I knew of who kept that kind of stuff up after basic training, where it's ubiquitous for very specific reasons that have no analog in drum corps. Sorry.

Having the whole group go out and run laps is a waste of energy even if it does make the one (or a few) people perform better for a little while out of fear.

More energy output does not equal better performance nor does peer pressure when trying to get somebody to remember 100% rote functions.

Well I don't know what they used to do back in the 80s or 70s, but they never did that when I marched. If one person screwed up, they made that person run laps. Trust me. I know. I ran many laps my rookie year. :thumbup:

Well I don't know what they used to do back in the 80s or 70s, but they never did that when I marched. If one person screwed up, they made that person run laps. Trust me. I know. I ran many laps my rookie year. :thumbup:

Having the individual do it is different.

The Cadets DO NOT BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF THE KIDS.

The Cadets work very hard. They always march some the most difficult drill in drum corps. So they have to.

The Cadets eat very very well on tour. Four meals a day. Fresh food. Very little processed, pre packaged crap.

The Cadets take care of their kids. We have sport trainers, nurses and medical staff that tour with us.

The staff cares about the kids. Just ask the marching members.

The Cadets teach team work, self discipline, leadership, work ethic, etc...

Drum Corps is not easy if it were we'd all march BD (smiley face emo -con, J/K wink wink)

Drum Corps should be hard. That's how you get good!

You should have marched in the 70's and 80's. Before hydration levels, SPF factors and rigorous child abuse laws.