Differences between:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that sentiment is a throwback to the old days when the Cadets most definitely DID beat the crap out of their kids. In fairness, though, a lot of corps did so back then. The Cadets were just best at it. :blink:

Hmmm...I'm pretty old, so I'm not sure which "old days" you're referring to...but personally, I never had the crap kicked out of me and I marched 5 years.

High expectations? Of course

High Demand? Well it is the Cadets no matter the decade

Snarky comments and laps when we weren't performing as we could? Of course and Sully is the King of these!

Abuse? Nope, I like the description above..it wasn't Day Care, but it wasn't the Navy Seals either :thumbdown:

And from that, I learned to work harder than I ever thought I could....a skill that has served me well through the years.

Pr and Cadets are deeply enriched into their history. They have a lot of things they do that may be questioned by people but they do it cause it works and they can based off their reputation.

Crown on the other hand I know is very high on putting out a show that puts the fans on their feet every night and striving for a better YOU every day.

This is just what I have heard from close friends marching these places and what I have come to understand from their stories of their expeirences and beliefs of the respectable corps they march.

Crown and Cadets are EXTREMELY similar. The rehearsal etiquette, the military style approach, the cream uniforms...speaking as someone who has been around both drum corps a lot, I can tell you that they also operate in a very similar fashion. The fact that Crown has many former Cadets staff/members teaching and being administrators will show you that the experience is very similar at both.

I know that Regiment is a great drum corps, and they also have a very militaristic approach.

You're right, it's not efficient at fixing errors at all. I don't know if this particular story is true, but these sorts of things do happen, I've heard tons of stories like this, maybe even been part of a few. :blink:

I saw a drum instructor break his hand on a snare drummer's drum. I saw a horn instructor throw a bartitone's mouthpiece into tall grass behind a practice field. I 've seen entire corps made to do push ups while the one offending person stands and watches. I saw a drum instructor physically tear a set of tenors off a harness and spike one like a football. Fear is a fantastic motivator.

I hope that staffers are still in possession of their respective balls so they are allowed to instill a bit of fear. A little fear is a good thing. Like someone said earlier in this thread, Kids are soft today...but not the kids that come out of DCI. That's one thing that makes the whole activity great.

I never marched Cadets but they for sure had the rep of being hard when I marched. No idea if they were any harder than anyone else. I actually doubt it. But, I think they enjoyed the rep and played it up.

If you like white go to Phantom...

If you like Cream go to Crown....

If you like Maroon and Gold go to Cadets....

its that simple duh!! :blink:

I've seen talk of everydays being hell at certain corps - IT'S THE SAME EVERYWHERE.

Your body gets beat up, your limits are pushed, your brain is fried, you're tired/exhausted constantly. It's like a boot camp. You suck it up and push through and break those limits ... it's part of the process. Kids might want to quit or miss home and yes, some cry. They get over it. They become monsters and find their best physical condition .. and mental thereafter. It's the same everywhere. Some are harder than others depending on what's being asked of them in the show they are learning. They get over it and eventually hype on it after their first experience.

From a brass perspective:

Gino is a technical guy. Not always known for turning out the best "musical" production but it's clean as all getout.

JD will drive the PR sound. It is darker and more full. He will require greater listening, dynamics and emoting.

Crowns staff is very much a VanDoren product. Everyone plays. Breathe Dah, listen, balance, emote, make music.

Crown probably has the best overall approach to total brass playing with my second choice being PR. SCV has now joined this rank.

Cadets and BD (while excellent) are more about the execution of timing then they are about the actual final sound being made.

Marching:

Cadets technique is a hip breaker.

Crown still has body carriage and foot technique problems, but I suspect it's getting closer.

PR has their own style (hopefully with a new drill writer and an emphasis on actual body work as basics) but in most cases, they have been behind the times visually since the days that I marched .... in the 80's.

I am not a huge fan of any one particular program with regards to technique, design and body as an entire package. Cadets do have the edge in that most corps are using their technique or a variation of it. They created it and probably do it better than everyone else.

If your kid wants to run run run, have a cool vid to watch at the end of the summer and is more concerned with the total experience and not just becoming a better player .. I would say the list goes Cadets, Crown, PR.

If it's more about making music and becoming a better overall player ... my list would be Crown, PR, Cadets.

If it's total package - show, experience, musicianship ... it would be Crown - PR - Cadets.

For my list, Crown takes 2 out of 3. Thankfully, it is not my choice ... it's your childs choice. Phantom will always be a darling. Crown is an enigma. Cadets are beloved or hated depending on what the product is. Tough tough tough choice. Most people would prefer a member stay with one organization their entire career. I was the type who wanted to learn from the likes of Gino - JD - THE BEST, so I moved around.

First, find out what their emphasis is .. then shape your decision around that observation. Best of luck.

If you want to be a part of something new, growing and making an impact then Crown is a good choice. Also you are going to receive brass teaching that is second to none.

Cadets would be my second choice as they have done it so well for so many years.... I will give them a mulligan on a couple of the things they have tried.. but you have to give them credit for never being afraid to step out of the box. I have always been a fan and respected this organization.

Phantom .. some cool shows and play some cool music. I am just not that big on their brass approach.. but that is a matter of personal opinion.

Also in coming from Florida.. The Carolinas are closer than either Illinois or Pennsylvania/New Jersey...

All 3 are good corps. In that capacity, a member would get a quality experience. Without being contrived or superficial, what would you tell him then are the differences from one to the other?
Crown got 2nd at finals this year and those other corps didn't. :blink:

Reading fail.