Woodwinds in Drum Corps?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope it happens. Especially now with synths, why the hell not? The acoustic brass experience is almost completely gone. Every musical designer can't resist using the sub-octaves w/snyth all the time, obviously.

May as well add some more acoustic colors. I'm all for it.

reading this post made me throw up a little in my mouth :throwupen:

I don't think there's a single argument that you can use against woodwinds that hasn't already been heard (and dismissed) about electronics.

Can't use them in bad weather? Check.

Expensive? Check.

Changes the # of people on the field? Check.

That said, from firsthand experience, almost all of the instructors / staff I've talked to (including some that get to vote on this matter) say it's their personal line in the sand. My gut feeling, however, is that yes, it's eventually coming. DCI is trying to market itself to current marching-age members. As much as I don't want to hear it, it just doesn't make sense to automatically cut out half of the potential audience.

Mike

As much as I don't want to hear it, it just doesn't make sense to automatically cut out half of the potential audience.

Mike

And what do hard core fans make up?

Possibly half?

Woodwinds in drum corps?

I don't worry about this at all.

I don't think any of us will ever see a sax line in a group that calls its self a drum corps.

Too many people would stop supporting the activity and what's to gain? Yuck!

Careful there. We were saying the same exact thing a few years ago about amps and vocals.

And what do hard core fans make up?

Possibly half?

Hey, I'm a hard core fan, but you've got to admit, we're not the primary audience anymore. At least marketing-wise. Teens (read: potential marching members) control more disposable income than we ever will, and they're also the folks that are going to keep the corps going each year. As much as us older folks spend on DCI, consider this - the 2000 US Census said that 39 million US teens aged 15-17 controlled expenditures of $158 billion per year.

I know between the two big surveys they did in ... um... ('95 and '02? I don't remember exact years), the average spectator age dropped from 45 to 35. That said, I think it still illustrates a pretty powerful tug-of-war between fans who came in during the mid 80's - early 90's and those who are more new-school DCI.

Anyways, I'm actually on your side on this - I'm not in favor of woodwinds. But I do also think they're on the march, so to speak, and probably sooner rather than later.

Mike