Woodwinds in Drum Corps?

Like asymmetrical drill? Drum corps used to have to march symmetrical drill by rules right?

Also, like changing the judging system to promote show design over execution (tick vs. build up)? The downfall of the tick judging system and the rise of the buildup led designers to take chances with show design which led to greatness and innovation.

Innovations can promote creativity and fresh designs. They can also become crutches for bankrupt designers. Like everything, there is greatness and there is mediocrity (or worse).

and time will tell which wins. i'd say attendance numbers will be the deciding factor

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling it Drum and Bugle Corps.

Color guards haven't been guarding the colors for decades....bugles have not been 'bugles' also for decades...drums are not the only percussion instruments permitted...again for decades...so what? Didn't you like junior corps in 1980?

Wow this is an assinine line of argument. We get it: you don't like DCI drum corps. But just because your personal taste varies from (many) others (including DCI staff & directors) doesn't mean you get to define what drum corps is to the masses. Don't like DCI's definition of drum corps? Maybe DCA will work out better for you.

You are a bundle of joy. BTW its "asinine". I like the use of the "we"..LMFAO. Typical. It has nothing to do with taste..it has to do with what it is. I would think that the masses have NOTHING to do with it and it has to do with what it has become and we DO have a definition for that and it's called Marching Band.

To Jeff: 'Cause they don't have any real intention anymore of marketing it to the wide world, I think. I think when they stopped the ESPN broadcast, it was pretty much admitting that it wasn't bringing in new audiences like they thought it would. Instead, they went with the (yes, cheaper, too) option to bring Semis / Finals to your PC and DVD, mainly aimed at current fans, or at least folks who know what it is.

Mike

Coming into this conversation late, but was it ESPN's fault that the broadcast didn't bring in new audiences, or (bare with me here) was it the fault of the shows being shown on ESPN that were unable to connect or draw in an audience. I'll revert back to the Indy (newspaper?) comment: he/she did not seen any coherency. If the neebie can't see the coherency of 1 show, there used to be 11 others that would entertain them. The Indy comment was that he/she could only find coherency in 3-4 shows. You cannot draw new people to an activitity if they cannot reasonably be able to figure out what is going on and why it is going on.

Just another 2cents...but after 18 pages I wonder if it will even be read or relevant!

Personal feeling....no.

Practical feeling...yes and no.

I don't see WWs, as someone else said way back on page 1, standing up to the rigors of touring (plus you can't SHOWER with them!), but I have to answer the question to my WW students every year. "Why don't they have woodwinds?"

"Tradition" is not really an acceptable answer to them...they could care less about tradition - they're kids! They just see them being excluding from a highly valuable activity on their instrument. Yes, they CAN learn another instrument, do guard, etc., but that prevents them from developing their WW skills in the way the rest of the corps gets to develop their skills on their primary performance medium (brass, perc, guard).

Overall, I side with the no's, but it does not change the fact that there are many being denied the opportunity.

BUT, if they do allow it I am not going to throw a tantrum and stop supporting drum corps and going to shows. My four-year old throws enough tantrums around this house without me adding to the mix! :blink:

I can understand where your students are coming from. I think the best explanation is the rules. And an analogy would be Boxing vs MMA vs UFC. They are all competing towards the same goal, but the rules are different. I see marching band as MMA and UFC - anything goes. I see DCI as boxing. If you want to participate, you have to abide by the rules. If that means you have to learn a new skill to participate, then that's what it will take to participate.

You are a bundle of joy. BTW its "asinine". I like the use of the "we"..LMFAO. Typical. It has nothing to do with taste..it has to do with what it is. I would think that the masses have NOTHING to do with it and it has to do with what it has become and we DO have a definition for that and it's called Marching Band.

Yeah, I do know how to spell 'asinine,' but usually I think the extra 's' is appropriate (DEFINITELY think it's appropriate in relation to this "assinine" 'debate' :blink: ).

And I guess I missed the vote that dictates you are the defining authority on all things related to drum and bugle corps, including how it shall be defined for the end of time. I guess you'll have a busy job contacting DCI members from 2005-present and letting them know that they never participated in drum and bugle corps.

Edited by perc2100