Worst Championships Venue

Its not like those are the only 2 stadiums on the west coast. One could look up in SF or down in San Diego.

Can you imaging a guard doing tosses in Candlestick?? They'd all hit the bay!

I think one of the logistical issues with San Diego was the Chargers would be in pre-season and not wanting to give up the stadium for a week.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Orlando was the worst stadium of the last ten years that I had the misfortune of being in. The weather in Florida that year might have led to DCI moving to a dome for finals now, as I understand if Finals rains out DCI goes under.

I understand that there was a similar problem with weather in Jackson, but as that was more than ten years ago it is not a viable response to the OP.

It seems some of the posters look at a specific aspect of the event rather then the event overall. I tend to look at the over all experience; venue, site in relation to activities, access to hotels, getting to the site/city easily, weather, etc.

Personally looking at everything and at the last 30 some years of DCI (sorry OP), Dallas was the worst. Including taking your life in your own hands if you wanted to venture outside of the stadium. Jackson was second worst, although I know you can't control the weather, that humidity was the worst I ever experienced..... including south Florida.

I agree Lucus was a bad place to "listen" to drum corps. I loved it because it's only a 3 hour drive from me, we could walk to the venue from the hotel (didn't have to pay for parking), it was close to downtown Indy and all of its restaurants and bars and mall. The stadium was quite nice because of it being so new. You could eat off the bathroom floors.... well, maybe not literally but the whole place was pretty darn clean.

My favorate; KC was great although you had to travel a little to get to downtown. Second favorate, Denver. Again, hotels and restaurants near, etc.

Edited by dc oldtimer

I also believe that 2007 must have been a money maker for DCI. Just a guess.

From what I was told by DCI employees and insiders, 2007 was the highest PAID recorded attendance in DCI History. I was told that any figures before and since 2007 are either lower or "guesses" (including the fabled Montreal attendance numbers: I don't care what a score board says, I'm told that number is literally a made-up guess).

I hope that DCI comes back out west sometime (maybe during that off-year?): if not California, Denver would be great. DCI should hopefully realize that if location X produces the highest paid customers in history, and location y = some of the lowest (reports I heard form a corps director regarding Lucas Oil were 18,000 Finals night), then perhaps a trip back West would be wise financially.

It seems some of the posters look at a specific aspect of the event rather then the event overall. I tend to look at the over all experience; venue, site in relation to activities, access to hotels, getting to the site/city easily, weather, etc.

Personally looking at everything and at the last 30 some years of DCI (sorry OP), Dallas was the worst. Including taking your life in your own hands if you wanted to venture outside of the stadium. Jackson was second worst, although I know you can't control the weather, that humidity was the worst I ever experienced..... including south Florida.

Jackson is the worst I ever experienced, but from what my wife says Dallas has to be comparable or worse. She marched that year, and members of her corps were mugged in the stadium parking lot! Member muggings have to = at least one of the worst venues ever!

Orlando was also horrible (went to all three finals as either a staff member or marching member in the 90's), but at least Orlando has Disney World and Universal Studios going for it.

My perspectives are different now that we have a kid, and if we're going to travel somewhere for a week or long weekend, location matters. Indy is close to our family in OH, and is a not-too-bad drive from my parents' house to the stadium (minus traffic at least), but other than that I can't think of much worthwhile to do in Indy. I heard that hotel prices sucked, and everything was WAY expensive in the city. Staff members I talked to seem to hate Indy and consider it one of the worst (one staff has been a MM or staff member now for around 25 years straight, and he said Indy is up there as one of the worst venues).

Interesting conversation heard by a DCI staff member finals night:

Top 3 Corps Director X, "This venue sucks: we need to get out of here"

DCI Executive Y, "We're here for 8 years, and won't change as long as I'm here"

Top 3 Corps Director X, "I can take care of that"

WOW! Corps directors, staff members, and many fans seem to dislike Lucas Oil. Will DCI take the "out" clause in their contract this year, or stick it out?!

Maybe Dallas in 10 Years!!

3799805281_d8b7a3f47a.jpg

Yeah, no sound issues there.

Can you imaging a guard doing tosses in Candlestick?? They'd all hit the bay!

I think one of the logistical issues with San Diego was the Chargers would be in pre-season and not wanting to give up the stadium for a week.

Might not be that big of an issue that early in August. DCI Finals this season were a week before The Chargers first home preseason game. The bigger issue might be the Chargers' natural grass, and they not wanting to let corps wreck their grass so close to the season.

Might not be that big of an issue that early in August. DCI Finals this season were a week before The Chargers first home preseason game. The bigger issue might be the Chargers' natural grass, and they not wanting to let corps wreck their grass so close to the season.

I think that was one of the concerns as well....but if they don't build a new stadium, maybe they'll replace the grass with turf now that the Padres have their own place.