Worst Championships Venue

So, over the last 10 years, DCI has been held in the following locations. If you marched any of these years or went to the big show, which was your least favorite location, and why?

2009 - Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, IN

2008 - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN

2007 - The Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA

2006 - Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI

2005 - Foxboro, MA

2004 - Mile High Stadium, Denver, CO

2003 - The Citrus Bowl, Orlando, FL

2002 - Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI

2001 - Buffalo, NY

2000 - Washington, D.C.

Drum corps fans, go!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackson MS.

Thread over.

So, over the last 10 years, DCI has been held in the following locations. If you marched any of these years or went to the big show, which was your least favorite location, and why?

2005 - Foxboro, MA

2003 - The Citrus Bowl, Orlando, FL

2002 - Camp Randall Stadium, Madison, WI

2001 - Buffalo, NY

2000 - Washington, D.C.

Drum corps fans, go!

Worst (IMHO) = Lucas Oil followed closely by The Rose Bowl (at least there was a lot more to do in Pasedena than Indianapolis)

Best = Mile High Stadium (tons to do in and around Denver)

Second Best = Buffalo, NY (city leaves a lot to be desired, but this is probably the best stadium for both sound AND sight lines.

madison, 2002.

the whole place was under construction. no place to park. no place to warm up. exceedingly long walks for the corps. the most overhyped stadium in the history of the activity.

let me get my hurt locker suit on.

OT, I hated marching at Madison in 1999 as well.

2000, I almost didn't like Washington, D.C., but it was a good substitute to the Redskins' stadium, although I would have liked to have marched in the Redskins stadium.

I didn't think Lucas Oil was as bad as everyone else is saying, although I wish they would have opened the roof.

I absolutely HATED watching finals in Pasadena. Those lights were buzzing extremely loud but at least it was close to LA.

Edited by 2000Cadet

<snip>I absolutely HATED watching finals in Pasadena. Those lights were buzzing extremely loud but at least it was close to LA.

You know, I hear this complaint all the time and I have to be honest... It didn't bother me in the slightest! Now, this could have been that I was just happy to be at my first finals in 22 years but highly doubt it.

Miami in '83... that was a different story!

I've been in four of those venues:

College Park

Denver

Pasadena

Lucas Oil

Of those four Denver was by far the best and Lucas Oil by far the worst.

Worst (IMHO) = Lucas Oil followed closely by The Rose Bowl (at least there was a lot more to do in Pasedena than Indianapolis)

Best = Mile High Stadium (tons to do in and around Denver)

Second Best = Buffalo, NY (city leaves a lot to be desired, but this is probably the best stadium for both sound AND sight lines.

I just read this on the web, which makes me question my opinion of Mile High Stadium as the best finals venue...

"A boulder the size of a briefcase fell on a sport utility vehicle on Colorado Highway 82 on Friday, killing the driver and injuring one of the four passengers.

The Kansas City Star quoted Sgt. Rich Armstrong of the Colorado State Police as this type of accident being fairly common in Colorado. "It's one of the hazards of driving in Colorado," Armstrong said."

The dome sound got better each day with more people. A lot of good seats visually, tricky to find the best audio. What saves this over pasadena is everything around it. A lot of things to do nearby, close bars, mall, etc.

Really liked this stadium. Not a bad seat in the house. Not too much *right* there, but the IU bars were close. I had a lot of fun.

Pasadena was by far the worst. Shallow bowl (so there werent really very many good places to see things visually), lights that buzzed constantly, event staff that had no clue (had some refusing to let us driving a corps van into the corps vehicle parking, and others who wouldnt let you into the stadium when the next corps hadnt even started entering the field yet. Missed phantom thanks to that). And nothing nearby. Plus LA traffic and crime sucks.

I love this place. Great Stadium, plus: Stadium Bar. I aged out here. Shame DCI didnt hold a show here this year again.

2005 - Foxboro, MA

Meh. Nothing sticks out to me to much about this one, though i was marching.

Great stadium. Didnt go there for finals, but i love this place.