Best/Favorite Opening Statements

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cadets 2007, minus the voice. Talk about making statements.

You have a recording minus the voice?

I know we did record it minus the voice. You can probably check one of those video websites for a vid of rehearsal without voice....

There is a recording without voice from their 2007 preseason CD. I know the Cadets did the same for 2005, can't vouch for 2006 or 2008 though.

With limited exposure to anything besides 03, 08, and 09:

Cadets 00 - Mesmerizing build into a face-melting brass impact and an unparalleled aura of confidence.

BD 03 - If I had to explain the Blue Devils in a minute or two, this would be the minute or two.

Phantom 03 - Oh my gosh, so beautiful. Gives me goose bumps and uncontrollable elation every time.

Madison 03 - Primal, blood-boiling, hype-inducing drum break into raw energetic horn impact. I especially like the well-balanced D major chord at the end of the impact. Just writing this makes me want to listen to it.

Crown 08 - for the same reasons everyone else said. One heck of an experience seeing it live.

Blue Stars 08 - This one reached up to the 20 on the third deck of the Alamodome. I really like the idea of featuring the percussion at first, marching fast enough to wind the hornline, and then letting loose for a really cool and loud opening statement.

And, one personal favorite:

Mandarins 08 - not that it was super amazingly loud or spectacular, but I had a drill position in the front left corner of the hornline - and the box was to the left. Gave me shivers every time.

Edited by rootofthechord

84 crossmen...I just really dig those long, silver flags...

#1. HAS to be '90 SCV. B***r-inducing low brass.

:blink:

1980 BD, those 4-count turns between tight kick, but horn playing!

1985 SCV, Come on folks the openeing fanfare to Festive Overture? I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet.

1981 27 - Crown Imperial!

And my favorite:

1986 BD, the build to start Channel One, just WOW!